Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Accord rear lip mod w/ pics,instructions,and parts list

OK After finally buying a new digi I can upload the pics. Here is your list of parts

1. 94-95 Accord factory rear lower bumper lip. Comes in 3 peices get it at your local dealer or find a used one, total cost around $70
2. Thirteen 6mmx25mm metric bolts w/ matching size washers. Find it at the local hardware store. total cost around $5
3. For a cleaner install you can also get some 3m double sided autobody tape. The tape is red in color. This stuff is totally optional.

List of tools.
1. A drill, with matching bits/ or a dremel will suffice
2. Hacksaw/ again a dremel with cutting whell would suffice
3. Protective eye glasses
4. A white out pen
5. standard tool set with screwdrivers/wrenches ect...

Legend of Abreviations:
DP= Drivers side peice
PP= Pasenger side peice
CP= Center Peice
WO= White out Pen

OK Step one jack the rear of your car up and get something comfy to lay on..your gonna be here for a while.
Now none of the holes in your rear bumper are going to line up with the holes on this lip. That's why you need the drill. I prefer to do the left and then right sides, finishing the install with the center section. But that choice is yours. you also need to remove your mudflaps.

Holding the DP up underneith your bumper use the WO to mark where the bolt holes need to be drilled. Since it's dark and your writing upside down you'll know why I said to use the WO. Also if you don't have someone to hold the DP steady while you are marking... one of the holes does line up and you can use it to loosley fasten your peice.

Once your locations have been marked proceed to drill slots the shape of a Mike&Ike Candy. The reason you are drilling slots and not holes is just incase you need some adjustabilty (which you will) prior to the final tightening of all the bolts.

Now that the holes are all drilled do a test fitting, only hand tighten the bolts and position the DP in place. At this time you will notice the peice does not quite fit, time to do some trimming..

How much you cut is up to you. You must decide if you will be keeping your mudflaps?, going custom using epoxy like Neoki..ect ect. I used a CD to cut a continous line that matched the wheel well since I knew the body shop would be smoothing this out for me later.

Once you have cut off the excess SAVE THE SMALL METAL TAB ON YOUR LEFT OVER< IT CAN BE REUSED FOR A TIGHTER FIT

Now hand tighten your peice and admire the handy work..it should look like this...

The PP install is identical to the DP side.
*NOTE* My Greddy exhaust was too close to my rear bumper on the PP side for it to fit without worry of being melted. Our bumpers have a cutout made for our exhaust, the accords do not. I went out and bought 4 new exhaust hangers that sat my exhaust 1 inch lower. This gave me plenty of clearance.

Next the CP. Once the DP and PP have been installed you'll clearly see that the CP is waay too long and it must be cut. Here you have 2 choices, cut excess from the center, Dividing your CP into 2 peices and install. Or cut the excess from the left side only since the right side has a tab that inserts into the PP. I chose the latter since it would leave me with the most retainers in place and look the cleanest

Simply measure very carefully (measure twice cut once). then sit the CP in place, mark the holes with the WO, drill and hand tightenbolts. At this point you are done, now just shift the peices until they look just right to you. when you get the final location tighten the bolts with an open ended box wrench.

**Extra step for a tighter fit place the 3M double sided tape between each bolt, this will give your lip an even flusher mount, and assure that it isn't going anywhere**

When you are done it should look like this

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
Well worth considering, seeing as there isn't an aftermarket rear lip that I really like in keeping with the rest of the car.

Thanks Machine Head, nice clear how-to :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I didn't like any of the rear lips out there either, this was by far the least expensive option, and it maintains the cars clean lines. You can find this lips in the junkyard for around $30, I just didn't want to deal with the removal so I went new

·
Registered
392 Posts
dang machinehead, you giant! :cool: that looks good! i agree, i never really liked any of the aftermarket rear lips for our cars. this to me looks like oem. great work man!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts