Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i decided to sell the woofer the i had in my car and hmm wow it would accelerate so much better. i though mite as well clean it out so i took out my textbooks and hmm the biggest diffence was when i took out my passenger seat....btw i put a big scratch in my side panel cuz the seat scratched it.....but wow not it handles so much better after the seat was removed and acclerates so much better....try it and see for a week... kinda makes me not want to put in my new woofers.

------------------

aLwAyS lOoKiNg To Go FaStEr
2000 Crystal Blue Base Prelude
OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT
Dc Front Upper Strut Tower Bar
Dc Rear Lower Strut Tower Bar
Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
AUDIO:Alpine 7965 CD deck,Mtx Thunder 304 @ 375 Watts, Mtx Thunder 302 @ 400 Watts Powering A 12 Inch Mtx 8000, and Alpine 12 Disc Cd Changer

·
Registered
610 Posts
All stereo equipment sucks. As far as I'm concerened having anything aftermarket on the stereo is like wearing a badge that says "All show and no go".

Some of my friends are always trying to sell me their old stereo stuff. I just say, "If it weights less than the stock piece it replaces I'll take it".

------------------
Marshall McLean
97 Prelude SH
<A HREF="http://www.hondaprelude.to" TARGET=_blank>
</A>

My Home Page

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Marsh:
All stereo equipment sucks. As far as I'm concerened having anything aftermarket on the stereo is like wearing a badge that says "All show and no go".
</font>
Well I know I miss my old stereo a ton when I'm on the 5-6 hour road trips. To each there own but I'm not concerned with the 2/10ths loss in the 1/4 from having an amp and sub in my car. And wouldn't all show and no go be something like having 19" chrome rims or something liek that?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I used to think like that... but, now I dont street race anymore, so who cares? I could always take them out when I go to the track... Im thinking about getting a sub and amp.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I suggest u to read the SCC mag ..was this winter ...they had a test done about weight and acceleration times..

they put 250lbs of sand bags in the trunk of a car..without the driver knowing when they put and when they didn't put weight in the car..
and he constantly did times with only .1 diff for 250 lbs..

so don't say that by removing ur 40lbs woofer and ur 50 lbs seat u get better accel and handling..it's just impossible u feel the diff

the guy in the test had a race prep lancer..
and he told them after that he didn't had any idea of when they put weight and when the diddn't.. so

and he ran times of 1-2 seconds diff on a 1 minute something track i think..

so if u want sound..keep it..

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I think his torque helped him out in his race prep lancer... our cars might have a different reaction.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Yes. Woofers suck ass if you want proformance.

------------------
"drive fast, be yorself, and party till she's cute!

Originally posted by some canadian guy:
Like I said, Road trip - baseball bat

Originally posted by malken00:
Everyone has their own opinion, even if they're wrong.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by deceptakon:
I think his torque helped him out in his race prep lancer... our cars might have a different reaction.</font>
I would agree. Our weak torque makes every pound removed count.

------------------
<A HREF="http://gotigersgo.fansonly.com/sports/m-baskbl/mem-m-baskbl-body.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Record: 21-15 after starting 2-6
N.I.T. 3rd place

·
Registered
658 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JinMTVT:
I suggest u to read the SCC mag ..was this winter ...they had a test done about weight and acceleration times..

they put 250lbs of sand bags in the trunk of a car..without the driver knowing when they put and when they didn't put weight in the car..
and he constantly did times with only .1 diff for 250 lbs..

so don't say that by removing ur 40lbs woofer and ur 50 lbs seat u get better accel and handling..it's just impossible u feel the diff

and he told them after that he didn't had any idea of when they put weight and when the diddn't.. so

</font>
I remember reading that article. But it was .1 for 100 or 150lbs. The addition of 250lbs. was .3 sec less to 60 and .2 less for the quarter.

Look at it this way, if you can tell the difference between a full tank and an empty one--about 13 gal. when the light comes on or 91 lbs, then you have a finely tuned ass.

·
Registered
610 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JinMTVT:

</font>
Guys but must be a little out of tune. I was 4th overall in region last year for Solo-2. My threshold for sensing weight is right around 60lbs (depending where it's placed). An additional 150 makes the car seem notably slower, even in straight line.

BTW 1-2 seconds on a 1 minute track is AWESOME! I would sell a kidney for an increase of 1 second on a 60 second course. My God, I'd be un-beatable! 1 second would have made my Prelude the fastest FWD slalom car in the region last year and I was STOCK! ITR's would bow done and quake in my almight presence. 1 second... You obviously don't race...

------------------
Marshall McLean
97 Prelude SH
</A>

My Home Page

[This message has been edited by Marsh (edited April 04, 2001).]

·
Registered
268 Posts
sorry Marsh...

i did stock car for few years..
and helped my father on his stock cars a lot...
so i know how weight counts..

but a 1 sec on a 60 sec race track isn't that much for 250LBS

and yeah maybe it was .2-3 sec on the 1/4

BY the way..their test was done with a preped lancer and another mistu i think..
a street eclipse ...turbo i think..

i definitly feel my car pulling a little slower with 3 other peps in my car..
but that's like near 400LBS more..
not 250 and not 75 ..

we were talking about removing a seat here..
lol
theese things aren't even 70lbs..
even there.. so i wouldn't trade a 70LBS and debalancing my car for the right seat..

or else would have to crossedweight the car without the seat before..
but then it would be overkill on the street with the seat and one person on it..

neway..

and MArsh..where do you do autocross ?
in ottawa i hear there is a palce for that..
i might be going there few times thim summer when we don't have events here..

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
in my lude there is a noticeable difference between

a) full tank vs empty tank (90lb)
b) my gf in passenger vs. large guy passenger (110lb vs. 180lb)
c) no passenger vs one passenger (180lb)

i don't notice smaller amounts of weight, say luggage, etc; so i think the threshold is about 50lb. and yes, the weight will make more of a difference in a low torque car. the stock mitsu they tested was still a v6.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well handling also improved a little bit when i removed the weight. weight reduction also matters where it is removed. before rear tires and stuff like that cuz it will slow down the car a little bit

------------------

aLwAyS lOoKiNg To Go FaStEr
2000 Crystal Blue Base Prelude
OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT
Dc Front Upper Strut Tower Bar
Dc Rear Lower Strut Tower Bar
Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
AUDIO:Alpine 7965 CD deck,Mtx Thunder 304 @ 375 Watts, Mtx Thunder 302 @ 400 Watts Powering A 12 Inch Mtx 8000, and Alpine 12 Disc Cd Changer

·
Registered
610 Posts
I do Ontario regional. We don't go to Ottawa because it's too far. I've run a few events with MCO and they are a very well run. One of better clubs in the region.

http://www.mco.org

BTW most classes in CASC-OR solo-2 are won and lost by tenths. In only 3 years I've one several events by 1/100th of a second. Between good driver's there is usually never more than 1%-2% difference in best times, which is about a second. I wasn't joking when I said 1 second per event would have made me the fastes FWD car last year.

Check the results here: http://www.swbs.com/solo2.html#2000results

If you would consider 1 second in 60 not much then I guess roundy-round drivers aren't very consistent because it's a ton in everything I've ever done.

------------------
Marshall McLean
97 Prelude SH
</A>

My Home Page

[This message has been edited by Marsh (edited April 05, 2001).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts