Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a paint job badly, and almost every place around here want upwards of 1,250-1,500 for the same color, not including the hood, and minor rust(2 small patches). I'm about ready to drop it off at maaco, and have it all done for under 500 beans. What do you guys think? I know everyone makes fun of Maaco, but i hear that some of their paint jobs are pretty decent. Running around with a hole like this is making me frusrated. :)

Thanks Guys...

------------------
-Chris
--92 S

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've heard that it's more the guy (or girl
) doing the work than the shop itself. If you can do some of the prep work yourself (ie., taking everything that's not getting painted off) you can save some cash.
Where are you from SOHC?

------------------
-Adam
'91 Honda Civic & '00 5spd base Prelude

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Maybe!!! just show us your car after its been painted and it might change our minds.

------------------
00 Black Lude
Full Gold Trim Kit,including exhaust tips
Gold tint

·
Registered
268 Posts
that's a minor rust for you??

that's the worse place where u can get rust..
especially if it went trought it completly...
sorry to see that..

neway who cares if everybody's gonna laugh at you..

if u think it's cheaper and will still be ok for you..then go on!

like Mr Ludecrs said..u can always do part of
the prep work urself to save some $$$..

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mr Ludecrs:
I've heard that it's more the guy (or girl
) doing the work than the shop itself. If you can do some of the prep work yourself (ie., taking everything that's not getting painted off) you can save some cash.
Where are you from SOHC?

</font>
I'm from Cincinnati Ohio... around the Kenwood/Madeira area.
If you know where that is. hehehe..

------------------
-Chris
--92 S

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sohcpower:
I'm from Cincinnati Ohio... around the Kenwood/Madeira area.
If you know where that is. hehehe..
</font>
yes.. in other words, in the middle of nowhere!!! puahahahahha

·
www.ntpog.org
7,699 Posts
my friend got a maaco paint job for the Si Blue color on his car, and its fine...its really nice actually. Not bad for Maaco

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
be sure to look at other jobs they've done recently for the same amount of $$$

a reputable shop will show you their work. often you get what you pay for, and then sometimes you just get a really good deal. i once paid over 2500 to have a car repainted (including some very minor body work) only to have it totalled a few months later... and the car wasn't worth any more than your 92 S is. a lot depends on how long you plan to keep the car. if you throw a 1500 dollar paint job on it, it won't be worth 1500 more... if you plan to keep it for many more years, the extra money for a really 1st class paint job will be worth it because of the amount of pleasure you will get from it personally.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schwett:
be sure to look at other jobs they've done recently for the same amount of $$$

a reputable shop will show you their work. often you get what you pay for, and then sometimes you just get a really good deal. i once paid over 2500 to have a car repainted (including some very minor body work) only to have it totalled a few months later... and the car wasn't worth any more than your 92 S is. a lot depends on how long you plan to keep the car. if you throw a 1500 dollar paint job on it, it won't be worth 1500 more... if you plan to keep it for many more years, the extra money for a really 1st class paint job will be worth it because of the amount of pleasure you will get from it personally.
</font>
I'm not looking to win car shows, or sell the car. I just want something to get the body kit painted, my rust holes fixed, emblem holes filled, and have a matching paint job where the clear coat isn't cracking. :) I'm thinking Maaco will be good for warranties than some small shop that may go out of buisness a few months later.

------------------
-Chris
--92 S

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Maaco is really, REALLY anal about their warranties. They'll blame everything they can on the customer (sort of like car dealers and mods, actually...)

A Maaco job isn't that bad looking, but long-lasting? No. Chip-resistant? No. Show quality? No. Better than what most 8 year old cars have? Yes.

It's a good paintjob to last you 3-4 years and looking decent, after that the fade and chippiness of the paint will take their toll. By then, you might have enough money to get a good paintjob, or a different car altogether.

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
retired
7,431 Posts
i got my hood painted at a shop called In n Out. It's a big chain similar to Maaco and Earl Scheib (sp?). the paint look good when i first picked it up.. but obviously it's not as good as stock and wasnt as durable. the front of the hood chipped quite easily from rocks and chips from highway driving.
it wasnt bad for $230. as many have said before, "you get what you pay for"

------------------
My Car

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just got one of my trucks painted/repaired at maaco last week -- it looks AWESOME .. the truck is a 1ton cube work truck -- full of holes, rusting, ugly creme colour -- when it came back, no holes, no rust, beautiful fleet white paint job.

for a truck, i'd reccommend it =P

judging by the quality of my truck, i wouldn't worry about taking my car there. or if you don't trust your area maaco, you can always take a road trip up here to vancouver =P

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Carisear:
I just got one of my trucks painted/repaired at maaco last week -- it looks AWESOME .. the truck is a 1ton cube work truck -- full of holes, rusting, ugly creme colour -- when it came back, no holes, no rust, beautiful fleet white paint job.

for a truck, i'd reccommend it =P

judging by the quality of my truck, i wouldn't worry about taking my car there. or if you don't trust your area maaco, you can always take a road trip up here to vancouver =P
</font>
I know price of a car and a truck are really different, but how much did ya pay? Good service? Did they seem like they cared? If there is anything else you could let me know of, it would be great.

thanks for the responses, i'm really starting to think. :-D (i dunno if that is a good thing or not)

------------------
-Chris
--92 S

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I think it also has a lot to do with the person doing the work too. My friend got his 63 Impala which is a show car painted by a guy that works at Maaco. And it looks very nice!! and he won some shows with this paint job too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If your car has that bad of rust on the rear fender, you probably have a lot more in other areas. They will have to cut out that part of the fender and weld in a new piece.

Try to find someone who does paint and body work on the side. That could save you a bundle.

The Maaco paintjobs I have seen are absolute garbage. Not shiny, not smooth, not durable, not worth it!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by inlinefour:
If your car has that bad of rust on the rear fender, you probably have a lot more in other areas. They will have to cut out that part of the fender and weld in a new piece.

Try to find someone who does paint and body work on the side. That could save you a bundle.

The Maaco paintjobs I have seen are absolute garbage. Not shiny, not smooth, not durable, not worth it!
</font>

Actually, i went over the whole body the other day. That is the ONLY part of the body that has bad rust. The sunroof has a tiny spectal at the edge, and where the prelude badge goes in the rear has some, other than that, spotless. It is strange how that one section just went full out. It was also part of my sister's friends help, hitting my car, and popping the bubble exposing the black hole.

------------------
-Chris
--92 S

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Did you check the trunk? The top, the rear, the spare tire well? Rip it all apart and look.

Put your car on stands and check underneath. Get a flashlight and look under the passenger doors, above the sideskirts, and the front wheel wells. Rear bumper is also a likely suspect.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sohcpower:

Actually, i went over the whole body the other day. That is the ONLY part of the body that has bad rust. The sunroof has a tiny spectal at the edge, and where the prelude badge goes in the rear has some, other than that, spotless. It is strange how that one section just went full out. It was also part of my sister's friends help, hitting my car, and popping the bubble exposing the black hole.

</font>

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Registered
588 Posts
Maaco doesn't look like this...

------------------

On the prowl for some booty and blowin VTEC dust in the direction of the busters

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by overdose:
Maaco doesn't look like this...

</font>
Like your 4wd Prelude is better than his?

------------------
-Hua
95 Nissan Pathfinder SE-V6 with I.C.E.
98 Yamaha YZF600 with a D&D Slip-on pipe
AIM: DieselHua
http://www.streetimage.net

<A HREF="http://www.ha-deluxe.net/chat.htm" TARGET=_blank>
</A>

1 - 20 of 46 Posts