Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this prelude, got it shipped here and now it won't start. I have gotten it to start on occasion, but not with any regularity. The first two tries, it catches and quickly dies, after that it just turns and turns and turns. It was reported to be in perfect working order prior to shipment and has set without being started for a week. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
77 Posts
iamlost said:
Just bought this prelude, got it shipped here and now it won't start. I have gotten it to start on occasion, but not with any regularity. The first two tries, it catches and quickly dies, after that it just turns and turns and turns. It was reported to be in perfect working order prior to shipment and has set without being started for a week. Any thoughts?
I don't know what is wrong because i'm not there to hear it, but wherever you bought the car from you need to file a claim with them and if it is ebay claim fraud the person.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, I am a good judge of people and this guy is on the up and up. It will start the first time I start it if it sits, but if it doesn't catch the first time, it won't start. I'm going to put in new plugs and wires and dropped some Lucas in the tank this afternoon. The car's in pretty good shape, trashed a riced up civic on my way to Advance Auto.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
woot... Honestly it sounds like you need a new distributor cap... My Wrangler did this quite often... I replaced all the ignition stuff and it works good now... Heres the main problem it sounds like your having... Sounds like the car has low compression and is flooding...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, thanks, read through the other related posts. One question, what will the relay look like if it is bad?

·
Registered
762 Posts
A bad PGM-FI main relay looks identical to a brand new main relay, unless you fried it or something :D I just replaced mine a week ago because my car wouldn't start and sometimes it stalls on the highway like there's no gas. It costs around $60 from Honda.

One question - does your instrument panel light up before you start the car? If the car wouldn't start after you replace the relay and the instrument panels are dead, check your ignition switch. The electrical side of the switch is known to fail after quite some time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everything lights up. It is just the damnedest thing. It starts fine 4 times yesterday, but then I go to leave work and it catches and stalls immediately, again and again and again, after trying for 10 minutes I got it started.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
iamlost said:
Everything lights up. It is just the damnedest thing. It starts fine 4 times yesterday, but then I go to leave work and it catches and stalls immediately, again and again and again, after trying for 10 minutes I got it started.
It sounds exactly to like when Justin's relay went out. Go out and spend 60 on a new one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
my car is doin the same thing where it wont start sometimes but other times it does and when it does it will die sometimes.....if you find out what your prob is for sure then let me know....thx

·
Registered
298 Posts
this may sound simple, but check the oil. Low oil won't start the car sometimes.

·
formally Sik96prelude
1,061 Posts
see if you are getting spark. Then do as the others have said check your PGM-FI relay. Then check your fuel fuel pump. Quick way to see if you are getting spark is to pull the plug and wire and connect them then ground it to your block, then turn it over for a sec.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It had POS plugs in, I put in some NGKs and it hasn't done it since I put them in and poured some Lucas in the gas tank. I ordered some new plug wires too, so hopefully its taken care of. But now it won't pass inspection because the ball joints on both front control arms are loose (Honda wants $500 to fix it).

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
the ball joints are VERY simple to replace... just go to autozone and pick up a helms manual (helminc.com) or someone will put up how to replace them (1st try doing a search).... and if you aren't too sure about doing it yourself... ask if anyone knows a reputable shop where you live....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Exactly the same thing happens to my JDM Si VTEC usually after a very short run. I leave it for about a minute or so and then try again and it usually works so I've never bothered fixing it but suppose I should, I'm so lazee:eek: Good luck and keep us posted

1 - 20 of 22 Posts