Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone can confirm that 205/55/16 tires on stock wheels will fit a moderately lowered 5th gen?

If I must, I can raise my car back up to 4x4 status with my ground controls, but I really don't want to mess with that again...ever.

There are almost no snow tires to choose from in the stock 205/50/16 size except for crappy Hankook Icebears or high dollar Michelin's. With the oversized tires, there are more options like these: Winter Tire Details - Discount Tire. Anyone ever tried those General's on a 'lude? Or these Falken's Winter Tire Details - Discount Tire? Not really looking for performance, just trying to keep my car out of the ditch until I can put my summer tires back on in the spring.

Discount tire is running a killer deal and today is the last day. Any set of 4 tires comes with a $100 visa gift card...so I will be ordering my tires at some point in the next 24 hours. Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You'll be fine with the 205/55/16. The extra 5mm on the sidewall is negligible really. If your planning on only using the tires for winter, maybe try a used tire dealer.

This is assuming your not sporting a low-rider edition prelude.

Edit: I guess I'm a little late to help you out on that promo offer.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already ordered the general altimax tires and they are waiting for me at discount tire, I just need to take the time go get them mounted. I got confirmation on preludepower that they'll fit. My car is pretty low, I can just barely clear small speedbumps. I'll update when I get them mounted.

I'm also not a fan of buying used tires....

·
Registered
45 Posts
You'll be fine with the 205/55/16. The extra 5mm on the sidewall is negligible really. If your planning on only using the tires for winter, maybe try a used tire dealer.

This is assuming your not sporting a low-rider edition prelude.

Edit: I guess I'm a little late to help you out on that promo offer.
5mm? It's around 10mm. 205*0.5 = 102.5mm 205*0.55= 112.75mm. 10.25mm difference.

My SH at stock height scrapes a bit with 205/55s. I got a brand new set of 4 Michelin XICE2s for $150, though...for the whole set. For those prices, I can't afford NOT to let it scrape.

Preludes are hella soft from the factory though. Maybe your car has stiffer springs and it will help with the plunging down on bumps.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally broke down and put the snow tires on today. I can confirm that they fit, I drove about 30 miles on them already with no rubbing.

Compared to my summer wheel/tires, it feels like I'm dragging a boat anchor now though. Damn heavy wheels. :(

Is it spring yet?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a toss up for me between those falkens and the general altimax, but I couldn't find hardly any info about the falkens while the generals got great reviews everywhere I looked. My summer tires are also made by general, and I've been happy with them. I'll have to wait for some snow before I can say if I like the altimax or not...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts