Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I am accelerating fast and put it from 1st gear into second it grinds into gear. I know I'm pushing the clutch down all the way so that isn't the problem but I cant seem to figure out what is. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Are you releasing the clutch as you are pulling back on the stick or is the stick in second gear before you release?

------------------
1999 Honda Prelude Base 5-Speed. Crystal Blue Metallic.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
TONS of people seem to have this problem on their cars so first off it's not just you. I had it a bit until I put my Pure short shifter in and for whatever reason that cured it right away. Some others have had luck with just swapping out the trans fluid if the cars has over 15-20k miles on it. Whne you do that make sure you use Honda MTL though.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
For the first time in over a month I redlined the car yesterday and when I shifted I felt this too....mine was more of a blocking than a grinding though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
hi preludegirl,

i figure you're a female according to your username... it's not alot of female's driving preludes... what year is your car? i have a 97 black with SS... i have the same problem with i drive it automatic... it lags shifting from 1st to 2nd... i brought it to a honda dealer and they told me it's the solenoids.. but some people say i need to change the fluid...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is in second gear before I release.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rogue:
Are you releasing the clutch as you are pulling back on the stick or is the stick in second gear before you release?

</font>

·
Registered
123 Posts
I "grind" sometimes when I'm not even going fast though. But as in past posts, I determined part of the problem is weather related. I live in SoCal and while the weather here isn't too cold, my 'lude is very tempermental. Below 65 degrees, it's easy for the shifting to feel very clunky, chunky, coarse, or whatever. Especially going from 1st to 2nd., getting into 5th is okay and getting into REVERSE is a complete ***** sometimes. I do the normal cycle of putting it into other gears first, then into Reverse, and it still won't go sometimes. Once I tried 5 times, got pissed and rammed the sucker in there. I won't do that again, but geez, I don't think anyone else has these problems. Oh, and of course, the dealer says its operating normally.

ss

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slickshifter:
I "grind" sometimes when I'm not even going fast though. But as in past posts, I determined part of the problem is weather related. I live in SoCal and while the weather here isn't too cold, my 'lude is very tempermental. Below 65 degrees, it's easy for the shifting to feel very clunky, chunky, coarse, or whatever. Especially going from 1st to 2nd., getting into 5th is okay and getting into REVERSE is a complete ***** sometimes. I do the normal cycle of putting it into other gears first, then into Reverse, and it still won't go sometimes. Once I tried 5 times, got pissed and rammed the sucker in there. I won't do that again, but geez, I don't think anyone else has these problems. Oh, and of course, the dealer says its operating normally.

ss
</font>
Same here man......I haven't had a problem lately besides what I mentioned above.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I am. Mine is a 91' Red Si. See, when I took it into a Honda dealer the told me the same thing: It's the fluid. So they canged it and it still does it. The weird thing is though it only does it into 2nd and into 5th.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by preludeprincess:
hi preludegirl,

i figure you're a female according to your username... it's not alot of female's driving preludes... what year is your car? i have a 97 black with SS... i have the same problem with i drive it automatic... it lags shifting from 1st to 2nd... i brought it to a honda dealer and they told me it's the solenoids.. but some people say i need to change the fluid...
</font>

·
Registered
317 Posts
I know mine is a bit notchy when I first start out, but as it warms up it gets a lot better. Before I go I hold my clutch in and work through 1st and 2nd a few times. It seems to be really bad when going back into 1st when I have to start out from a stop. Can you explain when it is most noticable?

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
you guys see a female and the posts rack up.
LMAO if i would've asked the question, the responses would've definitely been "Do a search you moron, stop wasting everyone's time!" hahhahahahaha

anyway, i didn't think the 3rd gens had a problem with the grinding tranny.

i have a 97 SH and it seems that i escaped the grinding curse. i had redline MTL put in 30k miles ago and it's been perfect. no grinds, and much much smoother shifting. i've mentioned before that i thought i was grinding, but it was due to me shifting too fast and my feet weren't able to keep up.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
First, double-clutching isn't necessary. It will save the synchros at the expense of the clutch system. Not worht it in my mind, or having to double clutch in the first place.

IMHO our trannies are crap. There, I said it. Honestly, this IS a problem a lot of people have. My only suggestions:

- Be VERY sure you are punching the cluth in all the way. It's easy not to. Be sure your seat is adjusted to where you can pump it and bottom out on the floor (or stop, whatever it is).

- Be sure your fluid is clean. Nasty fluid is more compressible and will result in less and slower clutch travel, meaning even though you slam it to the floor you may still be shifting faster than you are clutching. Your fluid should always look like honey, not like diarrhea (which happens pretty quick, usually). I'd suggest a complete fluid flush (all fluids) every 30k, more like 15k if you race a lot. This will help insure everything on the car lasts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It does it after I have been driving it for about 20 minutes. It is fine anytime before that though. Then it will start to do it when I accelerate fast. Then after about 45 mins. it will start to do it all the time weather I am accelerating fast or not. Then it will do it downshifting into 3rd and goint into 5th.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rogue:
I know mine is a bit notchy when I first start out, but as it warms up it gets a lot better. Before I go I hold my clutch in and work through 1st and 2nd a few times. It seems to be really bad when going back into 1st when I have to start out from a stop. Can you explain when it is most noticable?</font>

·
Registered
317 Posts
Proper seat position is a must. You should be able to place your foot flat on the floor behind the clutch, then when you push the clutch in, it will always go to its lowest point.

I just read your response. I am clueless right now as to what the problem is. Usually it is at first start-up that it happens. Your seat should be ok, or you would be grinding at first shift.

[This message has been edited by Rogue (edited April 11, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PreludeGirl:
It does it after I have been driving it for about 20 minutes. It is fine anytime before that though. Then it will start to do it when I accelerate fast. Then after about 45 mins. it will start to do it all the time weather I am accelerating fast or not. Then it will do it downshifting into 3rd and goint into 5th.
</font>
Sounds like it might be fluid, then, or the clutch fluid. If you've gone 30k miles or more more, flush the tranny with Honda MTL and then the clutch line with something good, like Valvoline Synthetic. The Honda fluid is good but I think it breaks down too fast.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
preludegirl,
it could be that your synchros are bad. Preludes have had a history of bad synchros especially for gears 2 and 5. I have a 98 5spd and just had my 5th gear synchro fixed/replaced under warranty and a urge you to do the same. If the dealership/service center is not convinced that the synchro needs replacing have them change out the tranny fluid first, if it still grinds, they have no choice but to fix it. good luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It could be one of the following:

1. Your shifting too fast between gears. If its only happening at high rpm's that's more than likly the case.

2. As in my case, I was shifting too fast and the syncro wore down over time, so when I would shift at 3500RPMS it would grind just as much.

3. If you changed your trans fluid then that could be the problem, in my Integ I change the tranny fluid with REDLINE tranny oil, and the shifter felt a little smoother but at high RPM's would grind regardless of gear.

Try slowing down the shift just a little or let someone else drive your car and listen if they get the same noise, I'm pretty sure your just shifting to fast and letting the clutch out before the shifter is in gear.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps

------------------
2000 Silver Lude
Toronto Prelude Club

[This message has been edited by Luded (edited April 11, 2001).]

·
Registered
332 Posts
before u go and think its synchros or u try to get someone to fix ur tranny problem, change the tranny fluid, fixed my problem within a week. i think it takes 100 or so miles to notice a change. hope this helps

later

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Yep,

Sounds like a synchro problem.

Changing the fluid might in some cases help a little, but once the damage is done the only thing you can do is replace the damaged sychros.

·
Registered
602 Posts
its totally a syncro problem,,, i had 5th gear go on me,,, and last summer i blew 3rd gear out,,, get it done while u still have warrenty, cause its a EXPENSIVE job

1 - 20 of 32 Posts