Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased $120 worth dynamat material in the hopes of sound proofing the interior from the muffler. I remember one person on the board that spent time and money doing this but can't find the post anymore.

To the person who was doing this....what did you use again? I am spraying the section above the muffler with two cans of dynashield and am dynamatting the trunk. I just need to muffle the sound a little bit. Can I realistically expect a 25% reduction in noise?

Input from anyone else with experience in sound proofing would be very appreciated.

·
OG
2,040 Posts
if anyone else is thinking of doing this, you should look into 'hi-temp mastic'... i've heard good things about it (dynomat material w/out the brand name).

try checking out www.mcmaster.com . my friend and i were thinking about trying this over the summer.

as for sound damping, dynomat works wonders. just make sure you put it on right and you'll be fine.

------------------
Raman
Viper's Lair
99 Pearl White SS
Mods

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, Sun if you are offering, I would be glad to have your help. I ordered about 20 square feet of the stuff so it should be enough. Let me know if you are free next weekend. Shouldn't be too hard to put some over-sized stickers in though...I think. I'll treat lunch or dinner afterwards for the help.

The stuff should be in next week sometime
so I'll let you guys know how it turns out next weekend.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Yup, I is the one what done it. My extra-long dissertation got lost in one of the crashes. Here's what I remember...

Generic Dynamat costs much less than the real thing, and truly IS the same stuff. Two layers ought to do the trick.

MCMASTER MCMASTER MCMASTER!

USE A ROLLER!

USE A BLOW-DRYER!

Generic Dynamat Super is the BEST stuff to use, although it's not coming off, EVER. That's why I stuck mine to the back of basic dynamat. Easier to get it off if I ever have to.

Spraying the Dynashield around the muffler is not a bad idea. Do several light coats if you can. The stuff can get messy. I've done all the wheel wells.

I did the trunk with one layer of dynamat, one layer of dynamat super, and sprayed any areas that I missed. It helped deaden some noise I noticed when I had the back seat folded down.

Take out all the carpet, spare tire, side-pieces, etc. and start with the bare metal. Take the carpet off the back of the back seat and put a couple layers there, as well. Then put the carpet back.

I took out the front seats and carpet and did the same thing to the floorpan. Don't glue anything to the ECU case. The floor was letting a lot of road noise thru. It helps a lot.

DO THE DOORS!!! This is critical, particularly if you're going to have powerful speakers mounted there. I plan to put another layer on this summer after I get a door-ding taken out.

Above the rear wheel well there is a "cavity" behind the armrests for the back seat. Take all that out and fill the hole with "acousta-stuf". This is the foam filler you use if you build your own sub-woofer. You'd be amazed how much noise comes from there. Acousta-stuf only costs like $35 for a big 5 lb. box. Put half the box in each cavity.

What I haven't done yet that I think will do you the MOST good is Dyna-Liner. This is just a thick foam sheet with lead foil in it. This is a sound ABSORBER/BARRIER. They use it in RV's and airplanes. It ain't cheap, but the numbers on it are really good.

Remember that dynamat is not a sound barrier or absorber, it is a vibration damper for sheet metal. Dynamat Super has a foil backing that helps serve as a barrier. Dyna-Liner absorbs and blocks.

Every little bit helps. Basic Dynamat is the best first step, and it may be enough to satisfy you. I'm obsessive and made a bunch of mistakes at first. Now I hear a lot of wind noise I never noticed before because it was drowned out by road noise.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
wow this stuff sounds great. i actually wouldnt mind dampening my TRM even though i like the sound of it. (referring to when i dont have the silencer on)

but all this brand stuff is really confusing me. i think i might get that mcmaster stuff u guys talked about. but where can i get these things from? any certain chain stores that carry these?

also, for that spray on dynashield, can someone explain how that would block out noise or absorb it? i dont see how a simple spray liquid thing can dampen noise. and when u spray it "around the muffler" like u guys said, do u mean on the muffler or on the parts around it?

and sonic lude, if ur gona do it, mind if i join in on the project too?

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
CURENT MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -Apexi V-AFC -autometer A/F gauge -autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit
HAVE AND INSTALLING SOON:
-UR pulleys set SS

screen name: CBFORMULA

[This message has been edited by Ng Luder (edited April 03, 2001).]

·
Registered
951 Posts
Pete said it, but I wanted to clarify...

If you're looking at sound dampening stuff, do NOT buy dynamat. Go to www.mcmaster.com and search for "acoustical damping sheet". This stuff is high quality and very cheap. Anything else is a waste of money.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
damn i just went there and theres so many kinds to choose from! theres fiberglass, plain, skinned, urethane coated, aluminized, and reinforced aluminized. and they r in foam and sheets and whatnot! im so confused on what should be used for a car!

the reinforced aluminzed seem the most expensive, but do they give that much more sound dampening? which ones is the best to use for us dampening our ludes?

all this stuff seems pretty cheap for me with great gains (not performance obviously)

------------------

CURENT MODS:
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -Apexi V-AFC -autometer A/F gauge -autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit
-UR pulleys set SS

[This message has been edited by Ng Luder (edited April 03, 2001).]

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
ttt

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn....too late I already purchased the dynamats. 8 square feet of the extreme and 13 square feet of the premium. And two cans of dynashield. Maybe I'll still order some mcmaster stuff anyway. Can't have too much deadening I guess.

The Tanabe DTM is just getting too annoying for me. This at least is cheaper than replacing the exhaust system.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
since it was not asnwered earlier i would like to ask again:

where can i find a good selection of these different kinds of dynamats products or any other similar sound dampening stuff? any chain stores i can go to for these?

------------------

CURENT MODS:
-UR pulleys set SS

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
i find it ironic that someone would buy a noisy exhaust, gain maybe one pony or something, and then add a bunch of weight to make the exhaust quiet again!! if i recally from pete's post, he added almost 100 pounds of weight. is that right or am i misremembering?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ng Luder:
wow this stuff sounds great. i actually wouldnt mind dampening my TRM even though i like the sound of it. (referring to when i dont have the silencer on)

but all this brand stuff is really confusing me. i think i might get that mcmaster stuff u guys talked about. but where can i get these things from? any certain chain stores that carry these?

also, for that spray on dynashield, can someone explain how that would block out noise or absorb it? i dont see how a simple spray liquid thing can dampen noise. and when u spray it "around the muffler" like u guys said, do u mean on the muffler or on the parts around it?

and sonic lude, if ur gona do it, mind if i join in on the project too?

</font>

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
100 lbs?! no way! i thought that stuff was like foamy and light. no more than 25 lbs was in my mind.

for me, im not dampening only caus of my exhaust. heck, thats why i have a silencer for the times im in no mood for the racy ride. but im interested in making my interior quieter on those long trips and be abel to listen to my music better with less road noise.

------------------

CURENT MODS:
-UR pulleys set SS

·
Registered
738 Posts
I just did something like this to my trunk. Except, I used the leftover 1/2 roll of soundproofer from when we had laminate floors installed in our family room. (Made in Sweden!
) I lined the trunk with it, and covered the tops of the rear shocks with it.

It does seem to work. It's muffled some of the little noises coming from the back of the car. I think it was a worthwhile exercise and makes good use of that leftover soundproofer that had cost $80/roll.

There are drawbacks though. First, the sheet of foam (about 1/8" thick) does NOT mould onto the nooks and crannys of the metal. This thickens up the trunk liner substantially and now the metal trunk arm is snug to the trunk liner when the trunk is closed. It was also a bit of a chore to fit the trunk liner back, and at some corners the liner couldn't fit as well as before.

My car is '99, so it also had the extra trunk lining Honda put underneath, so now it's effectively 2 layers of soundproofing.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/mylude99/" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
_ ____________ _
_ ___ _
_

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schwett:
i find it ironic that someone would buy a noisy exhaust, gain maybe one pony or something, and then add a bunch of weight to make the exhaust quiet again!! if i recally from pete's post, he added almost 100 pounds of weight. is that right or am i misremembering? </font>
You're right, I did add a bunch of weight. I'm not sure anymore exactly how much, but I'll bet it's close to 100 lbs. And I wouldn't mind adding another 50-75 if I thought it would make things any quieter. I don't race.

Did it work? Well, if my wife would comment on it, it must have worked. She actually made a point of telling me that the noticed an improvement.

To block the noise from a muffler, I think what you're planning is going to work just fine. But I would add a sheet or two of that thick foam with the lead foil in it. One sheet under the spare tire, one sheet under the carpet of the false bottom of the trunk.

You didn't WASTE any money by getting the real thing (dynamat). The Extreme and Super stuff is as good as it gets. But if you're going to do the whole car, save your money and go to McMaster-Carr.

------------------
<A HREF="http://gotigersgo.fansonly.com/sports/m-baskbl/mem-m-baskbl-body.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Record: 21-15 after starting 2-6
N.I.T. 3rd place

·
Registered
997 Posts
PETE: I seem to remember you saying the most improved area was the cavity by the rear armrests...is this still true? Do i just pull the plastic pieces off? Anything i should know about this particular area? Thanks.

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

1 - 20 of 26 Posts