Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
just a lurker....
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about a year now ive been into the whole "stayin fit" thing. i go to the ymca about 3 times a week n use just about everything theyve got. im not built for lifting so ive taken up running. ive done two 5k's and a 4miler just yesterday in 35.28.xx which i didnt think was so bad since im not really hardcore. just wonderin who out there also runs and what i can maybe do to enable myself to run quicker for longer distances like the guys who finished the 4miler in 20min :eek:
 

·
jon still has my hrt RIP
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
extinct said:
For about a year now ive been into the whole "stayin fit" thing. i go to the ymca about 3 times a week n use just about everything theyve got. im not built for lifting so ive taken up running. ive done two 5k's and a 4miler just yesterday in 35.28.xx which i didnt think was so bad since im not really hardcore. just wonderin who out there also runs and what i can maybe do to enable myself to run quicker for longer distances like the guys who finished the 4miler in 20min :eek:

I'm not a huge fan of long distance running. I run for a purpose (ultimate) but since I can't play here, I've just been doing elliptical. About 6-8k every other day.

The best thing to do, in my experience, is to just run longer. Increase your running time by like 5 minutes each week, and don't worry so much about speed. Once you build up more endurance, you can just quicken the pace. Buy a HRM and make sure you're not overdoing it and also make sure you're using good form. Injuries are a b!tch.
 

·
BB6: 5/15/98 - 8/21/09
Joined
·
2,661 Posts
Vicki has some great points. I've added some interval training to my walking regimen so I've been reading up on it. Picking up the pace, running on a grade, extending the distance, or adding weights (some sources have indicated that this isn't recommend) are some ways to build towards getting faster or farther. Certainly watch the form!
 

·
hoop 4 life.
Joined
·
482 Posts
lifting weights and getting lean is heaven. i hate cardio.
 

·
just a lurker....
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds good. i tend to stick with elypticals and bike machines instead of treadmills, i hate treadmills. im trying to build the strength of my legs more than anything b4 i go crazy, im feelin great so far.
 

·
former luder
Joined
·
719 Posts
I ran for about a year and then my knee started hurting, so bad that I couldn't even run down the block. I went to a doctor and he said keep on riding my bike (that's what I normally do), because somehow the riding exercise realigns the nerves in your knee. My knee got better.

Now I've started running again, not so frequently, hoping the problem doesn't come back. I love being outside in the cold night air, all alone, feeling warm.

Dan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
236 Posts
Switch up your runner...do distance one day...do sprints the next...then do like 60/120's...where you run all out for 60 secconds then walk for 120...do like 8-10 of those or more...also do inclines and run backwards...also throw in some swimming and biking...I went from a 715 mile to a 540 mile after like 6 weeks...
 

·
used to sell mix tapes
Joined
·
5,446 Posts
extinct said:
For about a year now ive been into the whole "stayin fit" thing. i go to the ymca about 3 times a week n use just about everything theyve got. im not built for lifting so ive taken up running. ive done two 5k's and a 4miler just yesterday in 35.28.xx which i didnt think was so bad since im not really hardcore. just wonderin who out there also runs and what i can maybe do to enable myself to run quicker for longer distances like the guys who finished the 4miler in 20min :eek:
i found the biggest motivator for me was getting outside. gyms are great for certain things, but hanging out indoors with a bunch of sweaty guys doesn't hold a candle to a hard long run on the beach, in the park, etc. throw some hills in there and you'll burn a ton of calories.

you should add some weights though, if you really want to get fit and stay there some weight training will make a big difference.
 

·
jon still has my hrt RIP
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
schwett said:
i found the biggest motivator for me was getting outside. gyms are great for certain things, but hanging out indoors with a bunch of sweaty guys doesn't hold a candle to a hard long run on the beach, in the park, etc. throw some hills in there and you'll burn a ton of calories.

you should add some weights though, if you really want to get fit and stay there some weight training will make a big difference.
Mark- what's your experience with weight training while doing running/other cardio exercises? The bf and I have been discussing throwing on ankle weights but I hear it also could lead to serious injuries (esp. if you have prior ones) if used incorrectly. When I am on the elliptical or treadmill, I sometimes get into a zone where I don't really pay attention to my form.

Thoughts?
 

·
used to sell mix tapes
Joined
·
5,446 Posts
vickmeister said:
Mark- what's your experience with weight training while doing running/other cardio exercises? The bf and I have been discussing throwing on ankle weights but I hear it also could lead to serious injuries (esp. if you have prior ones) if used incorrectly. When I am on the elliptical or treadmill, I sometimes get into a zone where I don't really pay attention to my form.

Thoughts?
i've never done it, but sometimes i run with a heavy bag or backpack, usually because i want to do something at the end of the trail or whatnot (e.g. take pictures, so i'll bring a tripod) and it definitely fvcks up your form if it's not just right. i think very light wrist weights could be an easy add to include a little isometric upper body excercise, but i'd be really leery about ankle weights or heavy weights of any kind unless you're running on a track.

much better to just dedicate 15 minutes before or after you run to a little light lifting, push ups / squats / rough sex / pull ups / sit ups / etc.
 

·
USAF
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
My roommate went through college on a cross country scholarship and he gave me a lot of advice. First thing is you need to be springing off the balls of your feet, most people strike the ground with their heels when they run which is not good form. To get the form down you have to practice all that stuff you often see track teams doing, high knees, kicking their feet up in the back, jumping in the air and kicking their legs out, etc. It all helps train you for correct form. Once you learn how to run efficiently you can step it up big time.

If you're like me and don't have perfect form but just pound it out, then all you can do is work on your inner strength to push yourself harder and faster. Add sprinting into your runs to make gains faster. I'm not really into running but I do the 1.5 mile in 9 mins and I did a 10 mile in 1hr18 mins. I'll never run 10 miles again unless I have to, my knees took a beating. Weight lifting has improved my running even without me doing any cardio over the last month and a half. I personally think lifting is better than cardio, especially if you reduce your resting time between sets- then it's like a cardio workout while also producing anaerobic gains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,314 Posts
I've been running on and off since high school and either my age or my weight keeps me from running on pavement now. 20 minutes on the streets beats me up more then an hour on a treadmill so as much as I enjoued running outside I can only do it on a cinder or rubberized track.

Form is certainly a big deal and recently I've added biking, stair climber, and steep inclines to my routine which has made a huge difference in both mass and endurance. I've also been gradually increasing my speeds to the point where running at 7 mph on a 5-8 degree incline in the middle of a workout is easy.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top