Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i just ordered a set of BFG g-Force T/A R1 (205/55/16), which will HOPEFULLY fit on stock rims on a 1.75" lowered lude. This and the yoko a032r were the only ones that came in that size. According to the tirerack rep (in whom i place a lot of trust), BFG's grip a lot more, but wear twice as fast. I figure i run only 5 or 6 autox's a year, so the increase in grip should be worth it. Btw, they come this friday, but next autox isn't for another month! I can't wait! Anybody run other tires and can provide tips or opinions???

Oh, and the BFG"s ran $104/tire....not bad, IMO!

------------------
'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
Soon to have JRSC

[This message has been edited by iranman (edited April 03, 2001).]

·
Registered
610 Posts
I had G-force R1's, they sucked. Decent track tire, but lowsy parking lot tire. And the reliability and durability are terrible. Toyo and Yoko have better wear but aren't competitive. The aboslute fastest are Hoosiers, but they only last a few events and aren't cheap. Dollar for dollar I think Kumhos are the best. I ran them last year and blew away my class. Easy to drive, grip like krazy-glue, and lasted me the whole season (15 events or so). A few others around here ran them last year and we are starting to convert the whole region. The regional champion ran Hoosiers last year, and I believe is switching to Kumhos this year.

------------------
Marshall McLean
97 Prelude SH
<A HREF="http://www.hondaprelude.to" TARGET=_blank>
</A>

My Home Page

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm using Kumho V700's too. 225/50/16 on the stock rims. It's a tight squeeze for the 6.5" rim, but it'll fit on there. The fronts rub on the inside of the wheelwell. BTW, this is at stock ride height.

BFG is stopping production of the R1's. Only a handful of the local autocrossers used them last year (almost none this year). We run a lot of events on a rocky asphalt surface which chews up BFG's in a hurry. On concrete surfaces, they may wear better. I've driven on R1's briefly and in comparison to the Kumho's, they seem to give slightly crisper turn-in (sidewalls are stiffer on the R1), but they are more unforgiving.

·
Registered
610 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pork Chop:
I'm using Kumho V700's too. 225/50/16 on the stock rims. It's a tight squeeze for the 6.5" rim, but it'll fit on there. The fronts rub on the inside of the wheelwell. BTW, this is at stock ride height.
</font>
Tell me about it...

I run on 15's because it's allowed in my region.

------------------
Marshall McLean
97 Prelude SH
<A HREF="http://www.hondaprelude.to" TARGET=_blank>
</A>

My Home Page

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep, i've seen that picture wayy too many times, enough to pass on 225/50 tires and stick w/ 205/55....

Pork chop is right in that their discontinuing the R1, BUT, they are replacing them w/ the g-force t/A r1 - you can read up on this on tirerack's site.

Thanks for the input guys....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts