Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy that's painting my side sills and peice under the rear bumper told me that he would not warranty the paint on these peices, only on the other body panels because of the texture, it might chip or flake off.

Anyone on here done this and have any problems?

He said it would be worse for the side sills because of getting in and out of the car, and possibly kicking the side. I have never once hit the side sill while getting in/out of the car.

------------------
Chris
Premium White '99 base model Prelude

· AEM Cold Air Intake
· Type S shiftknob
· ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate - Street/Strip Disc
· Fidanza Flywheel
· Neuspeed Front Strut Tower Brace
· AEM Tru Power Pulleys

Stereo:
· Sony CDX-M750
· Precision Power PC4400.2 powering:
· Infinity Kappa 60.2cs 6.5" Components.
· Precision Power PC1400.2 powering:
· Single Image Dynamics IDQ 12 in a custom sealed box.

[email protected]

FOR SALE

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ChrisM2097:
The guy that's painting my side sills and peice under the rear bumper told me that he would not warranty the paint on these peices, only on the other body panels because of the texture, it might chip or flake off.

Anyone on here done this and have any problems?

He said it would be worse for the side sills because of getting in and out of the car, and possibly kicking the side. I have never once hit the side sill while getting in/out of the car.

</font>
I'm sure a good shop can paint them without possibility of them chipping. Most shops use a "flex agent" to get the paint to adhere to stuff like that. They use that stuff for bumper covers as well to help keep the paint from cracking if the bumpers are hit.

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
I'm sure a good shop can paint them without possibility of them chipping. Most shops use a "flex agent" to get the paint to adhere to stuff like that. They use that stuff for bumper covers as well to help keep the paint from cracking if the bumpers are hit.

</font>
yes... and the shop you're painting it at is obviously not using it.

[This message has been edited by imagepree (edited April 24, 2001).]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are going to HAVE to use this "flex agent" on my car because they have to paint part of the rear bumper. If they don't, and the paint chips or cracks or fades on ANY part that was warrantied, then my insurance company will PAY for me to take my car elsewhere.

The guy told me it wasn't because of flexing, but because the side sills had a certain texture to them that doesn't hold paint well or something. & that a smooth surface is more ideal.

I will not be buying anything else for this car as I am in the process of selling it.

So, has anyone actually had paint chip off or crack on the stock base model side sills?

------------------
Chris
Premium White '99 base model Prelude

· AEM Cold Air Intake
· Type S shiftknob
· ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate - Street/Strip Disc
· Fidanza Flywheel
· Neuspeed Front Strut Tower Brace
· AEM Tru Power Pulleys

Stereo:
· Sony CDX-M750
· Precision Power PC4400.2 powering:
· Infinity Kappa 60.2cs 6.5" Components.
· Precision Power PC1400.2 powering:
· Single Image Dynamics IDQ 12 in a custom sealed box.

[email protected]

FOR SALE

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had my sides and rear sills painted for about a year now and I drive through winter and it hasn't even chipped. Not one bit. As said by the other people make sure they use a that chemical that helps the paint stick to the surface as your right the texture is not to good for the paint to stick on

1 - 6 of 6 Posts