Honda Prelude Online banner

Who lives in a state that has made most of the "fun" and pretty fireworks illegal

• My state has made them illegal

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Fire 'em if ya got 'em!!!

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • I'm a PC toolbag...(read continuation of option 3)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Chevy 350 swapped Prelude
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Continuation of option #3:
I'm a PC toolbag and wouldn't let my helicopter-parented, overprotected children use them because I raised them to be too stupid to make good, safe decisions on their own so I must protect them again by simply shielding them and disallowing them from even touching or getting near fireworks that are cool.

Here in CA any good fireworks have been illegal as long as I have memories. Always been boring crap, sparklers and very expensive boxed packages of crap. Thankfully most people are rebels and there are plenty of people around us to make it entertaining without myself having to spend money or risk a ticket. I seem to remember the fine is something like $1000-1,400 and they are becoming more common every year(the PD here smartened up and realized--much like DUI's and red light cameras--"screw public safety, this is a FANTASTIC way to almost guarantee a ****load of income twice a year"--which is pathetic and an abuse of authority and resources["doing" a public service primarily for the bottom line and not actually serving the public you protect.... :unsure: ])

The quality and duration of fireworks has gone down drastically in recent years...I can't believe they are watering down these things even more than they did when I was a kid. Now I know why so many people "hate" CA, it just feels like a governmental money grab, any chance they can give you less for more money, and guarantee the Gov't will back them up to force lawful implementation, they take it. CA residents have got to be the most "used" US citizens.
But I'm not moving.

Who here lives in a state that disallows the use of things like bottle rockets, mortars, "M80's", Black cats, etc?

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
We (Texas) have some decent fireworks, but there are still limits on retail fireworks regarding the amount of powder that can be contained per-shot and per-firework (for multi-shot fireworks). For larger fireworks, you have to get licenses/permits. There are multiple license and permit types, depending on what you plan to do... e.g., build them, shoot them, sell them, display them for large groups, etc.

It's all regulated... but our regulations are just a bit looser than nanny-states like California.

·
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I refuse to move to Texas, just not close enough to all the things I love about CA. But the state overall has some really fantastic attractions. It's major cities appear to be diverse and highly entertaining. On of my best friends just moved near Houston I believe.

·
B-A-N-A-N-A-S!!
827 Posts
I don't feel like searching for it, but somewhere out there is a picture of Ryan (cementups) EBP filled to the brink with fireworks after.. NPM in St Louis. The previous year, him and I drove to Tulsa, and got some fireworks on our way back. The next year, we went a bit West of STL to a fireworks OUTLET. We packed as much explosives into his car as possible. We eventually lit them off at NE BBQ #? at Irene's house. A lot of us came back with a good amount of fireworks, we lit stuff off for about 5/6 hours straight.

I do remember Kirill got all the way into NYC and got pulled over and most of his stuff got confiscated.

I don't think we were able to see out of the rear view mirror, because everything we put in the trunk of Ryan's car was now piled in the back seat. And a cooler was in the passenger footwell, and that was a long, uncomfortable drive.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,081 Posts
We shot off some x-calibur mortar shells. They are ridiculously large and go very high. Sound like a 12GA.

If they don't allow fireworks here, then no one heeds that law. They were going off all evening of the 4th.

·
B cuz I got it like that.
2,831 Posts
South Carolina.. you can get anything. They are always coming out with new designs and kits full of stuff. I like my fingers too much, I'll just watch the fireworks on the lake. Someone is always shooting off something.

Dragon Fire from a shotgun is super cool, too.

·
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you held a firework, even an M80 with a long set of pliers I wonder if it would save your hand, or if the shrapnel that was the set of pliers would hurt you more.

I have seen plastic pliers for electrical work before too. IDK, food for thought.
I really feel that 99.9999999% of all catastrophic fireworks injuries are from misuse and foolishness, not defects causing a genuine accident from premature ignition. :shrug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts