Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
It shouldn't matter if your goal is to keep the sway bar from shifting. They both need to be on the same side to prevent the side to side motion (both inside or both outside).

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
You should be able to get very close just by eye balling it. Otherwise, use a tape measure and move the sway bar until the distance sticking outside the mount is the same on both side (when measuring to the same point, of course).

·
Registered
584 Posts
BoYgUaN said:
but anyone have any suggestions hahah
oh yea any tips on centering the sway?
ludikris pretty much said what I was going to. Loosen the swaybar bushings (you might as well take them off completely and clean the area where the bushings and collars will be and relube the bushings), then take a tape measure and measure the distance between the edge of the bushing and the first bend you get to on the "arm" of the swaybar. I dont recall which swaybar you had (ST?) so I dont know if this distance is equal on both sides. If it is, just slide the bar back and forth and measure until its the same distance on either side. Then tighten the bushings, and install the collars either right up against, or 1/16 of an inch away from the bushing. I put mine 1/16 of an inch away, but putting them right next to it shouldnt be a problem. If what Im saying isnt clear, take a look at my Saner Perf swaybar thread. You can see how there is an equal amount of distance on either side of the brackets. Also, it doesnt particularly matter what side it on, as long as they can be secured properly (not clamped right on a bend). I just chose to put them inboard, it just made more sense when I was mounting them.

EDIT: I just looked at my pictures, and I realize why it made sense to put them inboard. I had to, they wouldnt have fit on the outside.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
It's hard to center the ST sway bar because it doesn't come straight out of the bushings....as soon as they come out they start bending.

·
sportin' the 4x4....
6,527 Posts
I understand that for equal turning we want them in the middle.

However, which way would we move the bar if we want the car to turn better in one direction? Do you think it would help?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Mugenlude said:
I understand that for equal turning we want them in the middle.

However, which way would we move the bar if we want the car to turn better in one direction? Do you think it would help?
Im not sure how much having the bar offset will affect its function. Id imagine it does, but Im thinking that even from the factory, the bar isnt 100% centered, so its probably negligible. The only way to know for sure is to put the car on a skidpad and run it in both directions, then either see which direction is faster, or measure the lateral grip with a device like a G-tech. IMO, you would have to have the bar moved in either direction so far that one of the bends was touching the bushings, and it would have to be some resistance there to make a difference. On top of that, since each bar is different (Neuspeed, ST, Progress, Saner, Stock unit), each one might behave differently. Lots of variables... I suppose the easiest way to change the behavior in one direction or the other would be just to get adjustable endlinks or endlinks of different lengths, cornerweight it (to see how the weight is being shifted), then test it to see how the different link lengths effect the car.

Note: This might be something to try at a test and tune if your autocross club has those in your area. It doesnt take very long to loosen the bushing brackets and move the bar. All you need are a pair of jackstands, the appropriate tools (ratchet, wrench, socket, and 6" extension), 2 jacks, and a friend to help. Ask me how I know. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts