Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 Si. I just purchased a Tanabe G-Power, and plan on getting an AEM intake installed as well next week. I want to get headers afterwards. What are good headers that will give me good performace and will go well with my current set up? Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malken00:
DC Sports Ceramic headers
</font>
I've been reading some of the threads lately and more than once I've seen someone claim that mugen is the only header that will produce gains. All the others are useless. Is this true? Anyone have dyno results to prove this?

I was reading this issue of honda tuning a while back where they tested differet headers on the market and DC sports seemed to show the most gains. The mugen actually showed a decrease in power (or was it torque?) somewhere along the powerband. Of course this is for the B16a so it might be different for ours. I know about the inaccuracy and bias of magazine tests but I just wanted to bring this to attention to verify it. Is it true that the mugen header is the only one that will produce gains on the prelude?

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
That honda tuning issue you're thinking of had the Mugen 4-1 header. It produced mad power at the high end, and hurt low and mid-range performance.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Registered
44 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spite:
That honda tuning issue you're thinking of had the Mugen 4-1 header. It produced mad power at the high end, and hurt low and mid-range performance.

</font>
Thanks it's been a while and I don't have the mag anymore to see the plots. But I THINK I do remember that the PEAK hp and torque was the highest on the DC sports. I could be wrong though.

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spite:
</font>
The race DC 4 - 1 produced the best peak hp up top. Doesn't really matter since you can't stuff a 4 - 1 header on the Prelude.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
110 Posts
That test was for B18C (GSR) engine. The Mugen did have the most gain, and yes it was in the top end (where you need it if you are racing). The DC did pretty well too, however remember this is for a Teg. Ive heard many many complaints about DC build quality. Personally gains or not I wouldnt put a poor quality piece on my engine.

The point may well be moot anyway, not sure if the Mugen BB6 header will work on your H23.

Good luck...

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malken00:
DC Sports Ceramic headers
</font>
Not to mention you can get them dirt cheap. Even if you only get 2-3 hp from them. There's always groupbuys on them..

-e-

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
The Neuspeed N2 and the DC CC's look very similar to me. If I get a header I'm going to get the N2.

I'd like to know how the Spoon header does though considering it's only the top part. I'm assuming that Spoon has a reason for only making half a header, know what I mean?

A lot of people say that headers aren't worth it on the H22 but there really is a lack of evidence in that.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
The Neuspeed N2 and the DC CC's look very similar to me. If I get a header I'm going to get the N2.

I'd like to know how the Spoon header does though considering it's only the top part. I'm assuming that Spoon has a reason for only making half a header, know what I mean?

A lot of people say that headers aren't worth it on the H22 but there really is a lack of evidence in that.

</font>
I have the N2 on the Del Sol, and yes, that and the DC look very similar.

As for Spoon. Don't they also make a 'downpipe'?

-e-

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
Read the thread about the "vtec head swap."
There's a little bit of a discussion about headers for the H23

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thatchmaster:
As for Spoon. Don't they also make a 'downpipe'?
</font>
Nope, only the primarys get replaced on the spoon header for the prelude.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Registered
188 Posts
i thought spoon just recently came out with the other half of their header system...maybe i'm wrong on that...anyways, i've got DC ceramics and im very pleased with them. its obvious when driving that they didn't make huge gains in the high rpms, but they did VERY well in the midrange, which is exactly what i wanted. you'll notice them during regular driving, something that you doesn't usually happen with mods on our engines. so if you're looking to smooth out your powerband and add a little back to it then these headers work well. if you're just looking for top end power then it may not be the right header for you....all in all, i think its a pretty good header, especially for under $300.

·
Registered
195 Posts
mugen doesn't even make headers for a 4th gen si lude...

only choices of header for an si are gude, dc, greddy (list'd, but not sure if correct), kamakaze, neuspeed.

[This message has been edited by Luder-xhpx (edited April 11, 2001).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts