Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm graduating this May and the job market is in the sh!tter right now for what I'm interested in as well as what I'll be earning a degree in BA in Broadcasting, Telecommunications and Mass Media) I've been reading about how all kinds of companies are looking at hiring, increasing starting salary except in media.. I think a lot of you know what it's like to be completely unsure of wth is going to happen when you graduate.. I know my first job won't define my life.. I'm just worried I'll be jobless for a long time...

Did you college grads start searching for jobs before you graduated?

I'd like to know your experiences with searching for jobs before graduation..
or if you recomend against it for whatever reason, talk about that too....

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
semester i planned to graduate

I mainly used the university career services, there was an engineering career fair, in the end however I got a job at the engineering company my mom works at. Some advice I heard from people was just send your resume to everything you can, more chance for someone to be interested in you

·
Banned
72 Posts
I did, but I graduated when the .com bubble busted. I didn't get my first real job until 5 months after I graduated. Worse case scenario is to get an entry level job in your industry and use it as a starting point to get your feet wet.

·
BB6: 5/15/98 - 8/21/09
2,661 Posts
PreludeChick89 said:
I'm graduating this May and the job market is in the sh!tter right now for what I'm interested in as well as what I'll be earning a degree in BA in Broadcasting, Telecommunications and Mass Media) I've been reading about how all kinds of companies are looking at hiring, increasing starting salary except in media.. I think a lot of you know what it's like to be completely unsure of wth is going to happen when you graduate.. I know my first job won't define my life.. I'm just worried I'll be jobless for a long time...

I started interviewing the semester before I graduated (almost 1 year). I used the career opportunities center (or COC!) job center and what little contacts I had at the time. The COC was the best bet for most and there were numerous companies that interviewed on-site.

I have always found jobs within 90 days of starting to look through networking. The internet boards, to me, have netted me little, even with professional registration and good experience. I would typically start to get reply after 90 days by which time I was already re-employed. If you can wait, they might work for you.

Do you know anyone who has graduated? Have you interned/co-oped or otherwise worked with your Media degree? Do teachers that you get along with have good industry contacts?

·
( o.O )
2,802 Posts
i stated to interview a quater before i graduated (yes, my [email protected] college uses the quarter system) i had a job lined up a few weeks after graduation in san diego - which didn't work out for personal reasons, so then after that took me some time to find a suitable job

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ludikris said:
Do you know anyone who has graduated? Have you interned/co-oped or otherwise worked with your Media degree? Do teachers that you get along with have good industry contacts?
People I know who have graduated are in completely different majors... they also can't find a job (Vic and my cousin are engineers with no jobs)

My internship opportunities have freaking sucked... working at say CBS or NBC stations would just mean that I observe b/c of Union rules.. there are few opportunities to work in TV and actually have hands on experiences... I've gotten my experience through high school and college courses (studios in school).. only internship I was able to do is in PR.. it has been a complete let down.. I have no choice but to stick it out or else I won't graduate.. I'm getting no guidance as to how to do PR.. I'm trying to learn on my own..

The professors I've had have told us that as much as they want to help, they can't help all of us.. they are always bombarded by people trying to get industry contacts or work for their company... I've got one professor this semester whom I have an appointment with to discuss working in research analysis (Nielsen).. she isn't well known so she may assist me..

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
engineers and couldnt find a job? my company alone hired 40 new engineers in the last month or two, business is picking up a lot down here, oil companies posted huge profits they obviously are going to start new projects with will generate more jobs

·
( o.O )
2,802 Posts
yea, my friend got laid off at ibm and had a new job within a month with litel, and he turned down 3 other offers. someone i know works for law and order svu, but i don't have expierence in the media field, so he couldn't get me in =/

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PreludePowerR said:
engineers and couldnt find a job? my company alone hired 40 new engineers in the last month or two, business is picking up a lot down here, oil companies posted huge profits they obviously are going to start new projects with will generate more jobs
contact Vic and get him in!

I think my cousin is being picky... he did a lot of hands on work with energy something other... Paul could probably tell you what he's interested in...

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
I graduate in June. I'll probably be applying for jobs in March/April. I have to wait a little longer because some places are looking for people to fill positions now. Goodluck to all the jobseekers.

--Sam

·
Texas
734 Posts
you need to start looking fall semester even if you're graduating spring. we usually (and we see other companies doing the same) fill most of our quota before Christmas, and so when we come out in spring, its usually for specific things we couldn't fill with just anyone (ie grad students with certain focuses, etc. etc.). This includes internships for the summer now too, so you internship lookers get out there early.

·
retired
7,431 Posts
i graduated last june, 2005. i started looking for jobs around March or so, and i got an offer a few weeks before graduation. i used the school's career center which was a strong resource since they do on-campus interviews (you just sign up for interviews so you get a shot no matter what) and employers will understand that you'd have little to no experience, so it'll be much easier to land something.

my current job i got was from networking though. ive been working for about 7 months now, and just about 2 months ago i started searching for a new job again (through monster, hotjobs, etc) and luckily got offered an awesome position 2 days ago with Paramount Pictures! :bigthumb: business major here btw

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
PreludeChick89 said:

immediately upon graduation i worked for a professor for a few months doing research, graphic design, and etc for a book he was publishing. from there i went to work at a small architecture firm where i knew most of the people, and stayed for 3 years. did not pay particularly well, was not particularly glamorous but the experience was great and i was working with my friends.

you've chosen a very specific industry which is not known for obvious entry paths. most of the time when people study something highly specific (engineering, medicine, law, etc) there is a very definite professional path from student to intern to whatever. the 'media' industry is so broadly and diffusely defined that i'm not sure how someone with a generalist degree like yours gets an entry level position. i would suggest that you widen your job search to any field that is even vaguely related to the media, including new media (which is where the only growth is) and accept that your first job will probably have very little to do with any of the preconceptions you have about the industry in college.

if you really want to work in broadcast media, you would probably have to relocate to have a better shot at finding an entry level position. there are tv jobs in every major market but the big corporations and their back offices are in new york and los angeles. doing a hotjobs search for media related jobs in los angeles brings up some things that if i was you, i would absolutely apply for - out of 100 listings or so there are some, but not many which are entry level.

i knew about 10 media/comm majors at berkeley; for the most part they ended up in advertising, public relations, and new media. two work at tivo, a couple at yahoo, one at ebay, one at google, a couple at various advertising agencies, etc. almost to a one, they wanted to do something in the broadcast media field and with the peripheral exception of tivo, none of them did. the growth was elsewhere, and only growing industries hire large numbers of entry level people.

i'm sure you'll find something :) but i'm also pretty sure it won't be what you're expecting. :eek:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
i just got a new job starting my career, almost two years before i graduate... although the tech inustry is better than most...

i would highly suggest spaming out your resume before you graduate, that way you at least have some interviews lined up.

better to prepare yourself than to be unprepared. any interviews that you get will only help (if you can, get a mach interview ASAP).

·
Registered
890 Posts
Like everyone else, I started looking seriously about 8 months before I graduated. The job fairs did it for me, I whored myself out at every single one of those damn things, even went to different schools, and ended up with 2 offers. I was looking at a very limited geographic area too (near Baltimore).

If your engineer friends are near Philly, tell them to look into government jobs in Maryland. Aberdeen Proving Grounds is only an hour from downtown Philly, and all we hire are engineers and scientists (and support personnel). There are also dozens of contractors who work side-by-side here, look into them also.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I started looking at the beginning of the semester that I graduated. We had a career fair at my university and I got a couple of interviews from that, and I got an offer from one of those interviews. I started working on the Monday after the official date of my graduation.

Fortunately, I started just before the burst of the telecom bubble, since I went to work for a telecom company, and I've managed to survive all of the downsizing (so far).

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
schwett said:
i'm sure you'll find something :) but i'm also pretty sure it won't be what you're expecting. :eek:
I'm really not expecting to be able to do anything in TV at all... if I end up with a job, I'll probably be a receptionist :laugh: that has absolutely nothing to do with what I want...
Hell, yesterday I found out CBS and the WB are merging...

Career fairs don't usually have anything media related (unless you count selling cell phones or Comcast, but they're usually looking for people in other fields) There was one on the 1st day of the semester, couple of peers said it was worthless..

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
started back in October when I was graduating in December. And I am still looking :eek:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts