Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The air bleed valve on top of the thermostat housing, that has to be opened when you're filling in the coolant into the radiator, correct?

And coolant will leak out of the air bleed valve in a steady stream when the air is out, and you're supposed to close the air bleed valve after that. When the coolant spills out, are't you basically getting all this coolant slipping all over the thermostate housing and leaking everywhere, creating a big mess? Isn't this a bad idea cuz coolant is corrosive, right?

·
Registered
380 Posts
just wash it off with some water. It's not instantly gonna start corroding(sp) parts. Oh, don't forget to drain the block.
Danny

·
Registered
928 Posts
or get a little bit of small clear hose and hook it to the bleed nipple like you would do when bleeding anything else

this also makes it easier to see bubbles

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sharkcohen said:
I don't use the bleeder. I fill the radiator, fill the overflow bottle, let it idle for 5 minutes, let it cool, and then check the coolant level. I also double check the level the next day after I've done some driving. Haven't had trouble getting it filled. That bleeder is a bloody mess to deal with.
shark, is there any problems since air is probably in the coolant system?

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
I can't see why the bleed valve is all that big of a deal. Fill the radiator, untorque the bleed valve, wait til a steady flow comes out (no bubbles) close it, retorque to specs and drop a cup of water on top of the bleed valve. Regardless you're going to be double and triple checking the radiator fluid level so either way works.

There is a bolt in the block that you remove to drain the block. It's in the helms if you want to do it.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Alternatively, after you have filled the rad with the bleed screw open and you want to ensure there is no air in the system, take off the rad cap and start the car (from cold) and watch the bubbles come out of the rad. Just top off the fluid when it drops. I suggest waiting for about 2 fan cycles or until the bubbles stop.

·
Registered
576 Posts
There shouldn't be a problem doing it sharks way. How did people change their coolant before bleaders? Ans. ->Sharks way.
If you presurize the coolant (warm up the car) the air goes right to the top.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
I also don't use the bleeder. No problems at all.

To flush out all the old coolant... I drain out the old stuff, fill up with water, run it through a few fan cycles, drain and repeat until clear water comes out.

·
Eh. :(
3,254 Posts
Paluce said:
There shouldn't be a problem doing it sharks way. How did people change their coolant before bleaders? Ans. ->Sharks way.
If you presurize the coolant (warm up the car) the air goes right to the top.
that is exactly the problem, and why honda puts the bleed valve in- that is the high point in our cooling system. many older cars,m in the day of square grilles have the radiator at the top of the system, so a bleed valve wasn't needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts