Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Honda Acura Net,
I am new here and I have some questions about my car and what to do to it.I though you guys can help me.Every time I go to my local shop they allways tell me what I need to do to my car.I would like just for once when I want to buy something for it I get what i want and not get talk into something else.So this why I am asking these questions so I can be ontop of things.(Plus I don't know anything about cars ,I'm just a girl thats know how to make programs for pc's).

I have a 5 Gen Prelude and I want to buy new wheels and tires for my car,I want to get Tenzo R RS-5 in gunmetal (17X7).I don't know what offset to get for this type of wheel for my car.I would also like to put the widest tire size on my car all the way around.I have Eibach prokit 1.3 drop and Koni yellow struts.I would also like to know if I need a chamber kit.
Thanks for all the help

Chica

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Some people have been able to use a 40mm offset with a 7" rim but personally I'd try to get something between 44-48mm. The 40mm basically leaves you with no room for error while the higher offset seems to be almost a sure thing. The 1.3 drop shouldn't be too bad on the tires as long as you do tire rotations. I'm dropped about 1.5-1.75" and the tires still look fine. Most people tend to agree that the camber kits for our cars pretty much suck and with that little drop I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'd get a +45 minimum. I'm running 17x7 wheels with 215/45/17 tires and I've still got a little clearance, but not much.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Welcome to the board! With a 17x7 i think you can get away witk a lower offset. But i wouldnt go anylower than +42. but +45 + is safer.......

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LUDECHICA:
I want to get Tenzo R RS-5 in gunmetal (17X7).I don't know what offset to get for this type of wheel for my car.I would also like to put the widest tire size on my car all the way around.I have Eibach prokit 1.3 drop and Koni yellow struts.I would also like to know if I need a chamber kit.
Thanks for all the help

Chica

</font>
if you go with 17's the widest you can go is 225/40/17, if not then 215 all around. rotate your tires every other oil change(assuming you change every 3K)a nd you should be fine, no camber-kit needed.

d

------------------
Resist, and you'll be overcome

·
Registered
456 Posts
To clarify:
For 215/40/17's you'll need an offset of atleast +42, and with 225/40/17's you'll do real well with a +48 but you'll need a 7.5" rim.

·
Unregistered User
4,287 Posts
To let you know tenzo does not offer a lot of offsets infact I think the rs5 17x7 only comes in 40mm. So if you have your heart set on these rims you're kinda stuck with that setup and might worry about rubbing. I"m not sure but you might want to check. I know the type c only comes in 40. Most of the cheaper rims do not offer many offsets.

·
Registered
129 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aaron97SH:
To clarify:
For 215/40/17's you'll need an offset of atleast +42, and with 225/40/17's you'll do real well with a +48 but you'll need a 7.5" rim.
</font>
I'd agree with Aaron. 215/40 is the best bet for a 17x7" rim. Also 215/40 is the closest you can get to the stock rolling radius on a 17" rim, so your speedo won't be off by much.

BTW, I'd stay away from most speed shops unless you HAVE to use them, or unless it's run by people you know. I'd ESPECIALLY stay away from a speed shop that is constantly trying to sell you crap that you don't want or need. Speed shops won't always have the best prices on wheels too. I'd check to see if there are any wheel/tire outlets near you.

------------------
OOkie
2000pearlWHITEbase

Cripes! Another white 5th gen.

[This message has been edited by OOkie (edited April 26, 2001).]

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help on this matter.I like that type of wheel is there any other company out there that make this kind of wheel.I like the racing harts but there more then I want spend.

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
You oughta look at Tire Rack for wheel/tire combos. The prices are reasonable, and if you're concerned about wheel weight, they sell lighter wheels (ie: SSR Integral & GT-1, Kosei K-1 & Racing Seneca, for example) that look cool too.

------------------
AIM screename: jsarino
'99 Ficus Green Pearl Type SH:
AEM cai, DC Sports SS header, Mugen exhaust, RH Evo CP-035s, GC/Konis, Spoon bars, and more!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Why don't you try the 5Zigen 5ZR Copse's since this is the wheel that Tenzo copied in the first place. They do carry it in Hyperblack and I can't remember what the offset is, but you can check www.aktusa.com for the available sizes. And I think that www.importhookup.com is selling it for 900 w/o tires but you can probably find better deals out there.

------------------

The BEST racing experience ever

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've got 17x7.5 with +44mm offset. That's as far as one should safely go. No rubbing problems for me, but then again my suspension's pretty stiff.

-Wil.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/mylude99/" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
_ ____________ _
_ ___ _
_

1 - 13 of 13 Posts