Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How quickly does your 5G Prelude typically go through oil?

I've had to add about four quarts over the last six months, and I'm wondering whether that's normal. (Just had the oil changed recently under the Severe Maintenance Schedule -- 6 months/3750 miles.)

I'm going to be taking it in for service anyway, to check out a "check engine" light, but I'm curious what the normal range of oil usage is. I'm guessing that it's higher than the average car (given the 6 quart oil capacity), but how much higher?

FYI, I have a 2001 base 5-speed, six months old, with around 2200 miles -- driven conservatively (under 5000 rpm) during the 500 mile break-in period, and moderately aggressively afterwards -- using VTEC often, but almost never redlining it, plenty of fast driving, but no racing.

------------------
2001 Prelude 5-speed
Milano Red

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
that reminds me...
somehow, some way, i was missing about 2 quarts when i checked it today. i've always kept up with an extra quart of oil for the 1500miles that burns it. the oil was checked prior to the trip to AC and it was fine. i checked it after i got back and it was fine.

anyway, i went in for an oil change today jus to ease my mind. it is way overdue since it's been about 5k miles since the last time.
this one is weird... i pulled outta my spot after work before, and there was a patch of oil about the size of a 1/2 dollar. HMMMMMMM............

i'm hoping that it's from the filter cuz i see some oil on the ATTS unit, but not from the drain bolt. i will go out in about 2 hrs to check it again. hope there isn't a leak.
*note- i have never had a leak before, so i'm stumped as to why it will start now.

------------------
------------------

OG H-A Member
1997 San Marino Red SH
~scratch here, ding there. Sigh...~
AIM: imagepree

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pointer to the old thread, o0OO0o. At least it's good to know that this is a known problem.

Did anyone ever find the TSB about the piston ring problem? I checked the NHTSA site, but couldn't find any 5G Prelude TSBs mentioning piston rings.

I know that some people were thinking of having their rings replaced, while others were just going to keep on adding oil. For those of you who had your rings replaced, how did it go?

Personally, I'm a bit leery of having the typical dealership mechanic tear open my engine unless it's absolutely necessary. On the other hand, if the rings are going to cause long-term problems, it might be worth it.

------------------
2001 Prelude 5-speed
Milano Red

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Like i said, give your car some break in time...new motors will always consume a ton of oil initially so be patient. It's not advisable for you to have the motor gutted at 2200 miles...if it runs fine, then don't worry about it. Tons of 5genners have oil consumption and there have been no real side effects of faulty piston rings. There is no TSB for the piston rings cuz on the 5gens at least it was never an across the board problem. If after 5k miles the car is consuming significantly more than 1quart/1000miles then holler back here...otherwise, don't stress bro.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
never burned any, as i've mentioned before. while it may be a "problem" with 5th gens... it's only some of them.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Peregrine:
How quickly does your 5G Prelude typically go through oil?

I've had to add about four quarts over the last six months

given the 6 quart oil capacity
</font>
To answer ur ?s:
1 quart every 2,000 miles, consistently since new.. 8 mo's. 11k miles later, same consumption.

Where was the oil level on the dipstick the day u got it? If checked on level ground, the "top" mark is full. Even if your oil level was on the bottom mark or lower, adding 4 quarts in 2200 miles is not good!

No.. 5g's are 5.1 quarts w/filter change.
[Edit: I'm wrong, ur right.. 5.1 qts. during change, but total capacity is 6]

Recommendation:
Make sure no leaks. Have the dealer start an oil consumption test. Give your "engine number" located on the block to your dealer. Ask them to call Honda to see if your engine was one that they have identified as having bad rings. Be insistent..if they won't call Honda, then you should. U probably should call Honda anyway to notify them of the problem and get ur name on file (it will be a pain in ur a$$-process is difficult) If you have bad rings, they may offer a ring job.. or want u to wait and see if it gets better. Insist, from Honda, not the dealer, that they give u an extended warranty. So, whether u decide to get the rings replaced or not, ur covered at least by the extended warranty.

I agree that our engines consume some oil.. but 1 qt. or more per 1000 miles is not normal.

Btw, i've got the bad rings, confirmed by Honda with my engine number. They extended my warranty and i'm still waiting to see if my consumption gets better rather than have the dealer tear-up my engine to replace the rings or short block.

[This message has been edited by Kool-Lude (edited April 13, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kool-Lude (edited April 13, 2001).]

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
You're going to think I'm crazy, but I haven't burned a drop yet. Never had to add any. I'm on my 4th oil change now, 15,000 miles. I check it weekly. No loss yet.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pete:
You're going to think I'm crazy, but I haven't burned a drop yet. Never had to add any. I'm on my 4th oil change now, 15,000 miles. I check it weekly. No loss yet.</font>
Ur not crazy.. u have the good rings.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yea dont sweat it man! I now have 3300 miles on my new lude and the oil burning is tapering off! I added a quart at like 1500 miles and now it has stayed there just gone down a little! I also have I/H/E and Pullies already also. Dont sweat it, only worry should be if u burning mad oil like 3 to 4 quarts inbetween changes!

------------------
IM- Smit962
'01' Satin Silver Metalic
AEM CAI
DC CC 4-2-1
Greddy EVO
AEM PULLEYS
SKUNK 2 cam gears
Ground Control 400/300
Tockico Blues
OEM KIT
DC REAR LOWER
SPOON FRONT UPPER
Member- MICREW.NET

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Smitdog:
only worry should be if u burning mad oil like 3 to 4 quarts inbetween changes!

</font>
Peregrine said he added 4 quarts in 2200 miles. Time to worry, imo.

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Change oil every 3000 miles...after i drain it..there's about 3 and 3/4 quarts left.. so i guess it burns 1 quart and 1/4.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

1 - 18 of 18 Posts