Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a new vehicle and it came equipped with mud and snow tires. Now are these to be used as all seasonals? or are they to be used as snow tires? Why would it come equipped with those? It's summer now, if they are snow tires for real I am thinking I should replace them with all seasonals and have these to use during winter.
Any insight on these would be real nice.:confused:

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
every tire is required to be M+S except if its a drag radial or slicks....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, cool, so they're all seasonals, just I had never heard of them being referred to as mud and snow before.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
An "M+S" marking indicates that the tire manufacturer rates it as an all season tire design. This does not mean that it will necessarily perform great in the snow or winter conditions. But the rubber compound will be better suited to retaining traction sub-freezing temperatures, and the tread will be a deep tread design with smallish tread blocks.

A winter tire will normally be marked with a mountain and a snowflake symbol. They are designed for cold weather, snow, and ice traction. But these can wear very rapidly when driven in dry, hot weather.

A summer tire may be marked "summer" or "dry performance" or sometimes has no such marking. They tend to have larger tread block designs. Summer rated tires should not be driven in the snow at all. And their rubber compound can become significantly less grippy in sub-freezing temps - even if it is dry out.

Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts