Honda Prelude Online banner

whats a tranny cooler? good for my N20?

2K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  DYI01 
#1 ·
i just heard about a tranny cooler? what does it actually do or look like? where does it go? and how does it help me in terms of me using my 55 shot zex kit?

thanks in advance!

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
CURENT MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -Apexi V-AFC -autometer A/F gauge -autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit
HAVE AND INSTALLING SOON:
-UR pulleys set SS

screen name: CBFORMULA

See less See more
#2 ·
If you're doing autoX, it might do you some good with the SS. I looked into it, it's supposed to be an easy install.

It's kind of an extra radiator for the transmission fluid to run through. I think it clamps on behind the grille. Obviously there are probably some hoses involved and you'd be using more transmission fluid. I think I'd try synthetic fluid first. Usually, the only vehicles that need a transmission cooler are pick-up trucks towing a heavy load.

Since the Honda automatics are so weak, if you're modding the engine and running it hard, it might save you some wear and tear on the transmission. I doubt that you'll get any kind of a performance boost from it.

You can get them at J.C. Whitney.

------------------
<A HREF="http://gotigersgo.fansonly.com/sports/m-baskbl/mem-m-baskbl-body.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Record: 21-15 after starting 2-6
N.I.T. 3rd place

#3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pete:
If you're doing autoX, it might do you some good with the SS. I looked into it, it's supposed to be an easy install.

It's kind of an extra radiator for the transmission fluid to run through. I think it clamps on behind the grille. Obviously there are probably some hoses involved and you'd be using more transmission fluid. I think I'd try synthetic fluid first. Usually, the only vehicles that need a transmission cooler are pick-up trucks towing a heavy load.

Since the Honda automatics are so weak, if you're modding the engine and running it hard, it might save you some wear and tear on the transmission. I doubt that you'll get any kind of a performance boost from it.

You can get them at J.C. Whitney.

</font>
cool thanks for the reply. i didnt plan to get it for performance gain but for protection of the weak SS tranny with my use of N20. would it actually hep reduce wear from using N20? also whats a good brand? i never even hear od J.C. Whitney before =P and average cost for one of these tranny coolers?

------------------

CURENT MODS:
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -Apexi V-AFC -autometer A/F gauge -autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit
-UR pulleys set SS

#4 ·
ttt... noone knows anything about this mod?

#5 ·
yeah i have one, didnt notice a performance gain with itmostly there for peice of mind. I wrote up a install procedure.

1) You need some hand tools screw drivers, pliers, utility knife, 10 mm socket, 1 qt. of DEXRON III ATF, 4 or 5 zip ties to mount the cooler, and have a friend come over to help...much easier.

2) You need to take the black cover off the underside of the car...I think 10 bolts.

3) If you look from the top of the radiator, just behind the radiator towards the bottom, you will see a black metal tube about 1/2 inch dia., that leads to the tranny. The other side of the tube goes to another rubber hose, then to the radiator. you need to disconnect the rubber hose from both the black metal tube and the radiator fitting. By using a good set of pliers you can squeeze the hose clamps and pull them off of both sides of the rubber hose and remove the hose completely. BE CAREFUL when you take the hose out, and put some cardboard down so tranny fluid doesn¡¯t leak all over your garage, only the fluid that remains in the tube will leak out. The fitting coming out of the radiator is turned towards the passenger side, but to make things easier you need to turn it the other way, BE VERY GENTILE WITH IT or you will crack the radiator. turn the bolt with the fitting to the right, then the it will be loose...he turn the bolt under it to tighten it, so it wont come loose.

4) Next, look down in front of the radiator you will see a sideways "U" shaped thing, that is the brake cooler, you will be mounting the cooler to that. But first you need to cut the rubber hose that is supplied with the kit. Take the hose and, hold it in half and cut one piece about 1.5-2 inches longer than the other hose. and then take both hoses and using the supplied hose clamps clamp the hoses to the inlet and the outlet, it doesn't matter which one you choose.

5) Next take the whole thing and put it behind the brake cooler, and in front of the radiator. Take the 2 hoses and pull them through one of the holes to the right of the radiator. Hook the shorter hose to the radiator fitting with the supplied hose clamp, and hook the longer hose to black tube, along with the hose clamp.

6) Your almost done...all you need to do is mount the cooler up. Take the little foam pads that came with the kit and stick them to the brake cooler so that the tranny cooler touches them and never touches the brake cooler. Now hold the tranny cooler up against the pads, and take the zip ties and zip tie the whole thing to the brake cooler, taking the zip ties through the things on the side of the tranny cooler, that look like "U"s, and the inlet, and the outlet of the tranny cooler.

7) Last step, take the ATF and find the tranny dipstick. it is well hidden on the passenger side of the engine bay under a bunch of hoses, it has a yellow grip. pull out the dipstick, and add about half a qt. of the ATF into the tranny, or as much needed.

8) You are now done~~!!!!!!
Go take a test drive...I didn¡¯t feel any power gain, but it's nice to know its there helping the tranny stay cool.
peace, and good luck with the install.

------------------
Dan Yi
99 Pearlwhite Sportshift
15.45 @ 92.37
www.MICrew.net

#6 ·
wow, thanks for the install write up! but i still dont know what it actually does!! =T i mean, how does it work technically?

and does it effect my N20 in helping to put less wear on my tranny? and what brands or where can i get these?

again, im NOT hoping to get any kind of gains at all. im simply thinking of this to put less wear on the tranny since i have the zex kit in now.

------------------

CURENT MODS:
-UR pulleys set SS

#7 ·
it cools down your tranny fluid, its kinda like a "intercooler" for yout transmission fluid. The main killer of Auto trannies is HEAT, by limiting the ammount of heat build up you have, by adding a aftermarket trans cooler, the longer your trans should last, technically. ONLY use HONDA ATF. dont use anything else but HONDA ATF. i used redline trans fluid, It shifted faster and harder, but eventually it ****ed up my transmission. I got another one under warranty, but its a headache.

------------------
Dan Yi
99 Pearlwhite Sportshift
15.45 @ 92.37
www.MICrew.net

#8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DYI01:
it cools down your tranny fluid, its kinda like a "intercooler" for yout transmission fluid. The main killer of Auto trannies is HEAT, by limiting the ammount of heat build up you have, by adding a aftermarket trans cooler, the longer your trans should last, technically. ONLY use HONDA ATF. dont use anything else but HONDA ATF. i used redline trans fluid, It shifted faster and harder, but eventually it ****ed up my transmission. I got another one under warranty, but its a headache.

</font>

i c, but what brand makes these tranny coolers? and how much did u get yours for? ill keep in mind to only use honda tranny fluids too. i think ill be interested in getting one caus i heard they arent that expensive. having one around would just make me feel better, especially since out SS trannys r infamous for being weak

G
#10 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ng Luder:

i c, but what brand makes these tranny coolers? and how much did u get yours for? ill keep in mind to only use honda tranny fluids too. i think ill be interested in getting one caus i heard they arent that expensive. having one around would just make me feel better, especially since out SS trannys r infamous for being weak
</font>
Cost depends on what size of cooler you want. Mocal and Setrab are the best on the market, but expect to spend $100 to $300 just for the cooler (no fittings, hoses, etc). You can get cheap ones from Summit ($50), but they are just tube and fin coolers, versus stacked plate designs (Mocal, Setrab, and Earl's), which are much more efficient (they cool better for the same size cooler).

I would also convert to stainless braided hose. Last thing you need is to have the hose burst on you. Yeah, I am anal, but if you're going to do it, do it right.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

#11 ·
hmmm im interested in this also. if you find out how much it costs and stuff. let me know

------------------
98 FBP Prelude SS
AEM Intake
Eibach Pro-kit
Koni Yellows
Neuspeed Strut Bar
32 Tint all around

#12 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
Cost depends on what size of cooler you want. Mocal and Setrab are the best on the market, but expect to spend $100 to $300 just for the cooler (no fittings, hoses, etc). You can get cheap ones from Summit ($50), but they are just tube and fin coolers, versus stacked plate designs (Mocal, Setrab, and Earl's), which are much more efficient (they cool better for the same size cooler).

I would also convert to stainless braided hose. Last thing you need is to have the hose burst on you. Yeah, I am anal, but if you're going to do it, do it right.

</font>
i would consider spendnign no more than $125ish for one of these. but u said "just for the cooler". do setrab or mocal sell them in a nice set with all the needed hoses and fitings and everything to finish an instal? and where online can i find these two brands to buy from? which one did u buy exactly? thanks for all the help so far, i really really appreciate it!

#13 ·
ok, i just did a search too. wow they look like mini intercoolers for a turbo or somthing. i found out i should get a 10 row one for less than 2.0 engines. and 13 row for high capacity engines. what did u use DYIo1? if i want to get like a 11 row (if thats possible) how much would that be? have any pics of it by the way?

[This message has been edited by Ng Luder (edited April 03, 2001).]

G
#14 ·
i would consider spendnign no more than $125ish for one of these. but u said "just for the cooler". do setrab or mocal sell them in a nice set with all the needed hoses and fitings and everything to finish an instal? and where online can i find these two brands to buy from? which one did u buy exactly? thanks for all the help so far, i really really appreciate it!
</font>
Baker Precision sells Setrab: http://www.bakerprecision.com/setrab.htm

Racer Wholesale sells Mocal: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/cooler.htm

BAT sells Mocal too, but they don't have a webpage.

These are race car parts, so they don't sell kits. You will have to buy the fittings and tubing separately.

I don't use a tranny cooler. I have a 5sp. Also, these Setrab and Mocal coolers are oil coolers, but they will fine as a tranny fluid cooler.

Stainless braided tubing is expensive, so if you want to get cheap stuff, look into high pressure rubber tubing.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

[This message has been edited by 71dsp (edited April 03, 2001).]

#15 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
Baker Precision sells Setrab: http://www.bakerprecision.com/setrab.htm

Racer Wholesale sells Mocal: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/cooler.htm

BAT sells Mocal too, but they don't have a webpage.

These are race car parts, so they don't sell kits. You will have to buy the fittings and tubing separately.

I don't use a tranny cooler. I have a 5sp. Also, these Setrab and Mocal coolers are oil coolers, but they will fine as a tranny fluid cooler.

Stainless braided tubing is expensive, so if you want to get cheap stuff, look into high pressure rubber tubing.

</font>
wow thanks alot! its alot less expensive as i thought it would be too. but i have one main question now... which one would work for my lude? im planning to get a 13 row one. but how big should i get these in? i dont want excess, just enough that does the job is fine. since i dont know anything about oil coolers, what size should i get? i think im gona go for the setrab coolers...

those sites also mention the Ftg. size. measured in -6 AN to like -16 AN. what do these mean?

[This message has been edited by Ng Luder (edited April 03, 2001).]

G
#16 ·
wow thanks alot! its alot less expensive as i thought it would be too. but i have one main question now... which one would work for my lude? im planning to get a 13 row one. but how big should i get these in? i dont want excess, just enough that does the job is fine. since i dont know anything about oil coolers, what size should i get? i think im gona go for the setrab coolers...

those sites also mention the Ftg. size. measured in -6 AN to like -16 AN. what do these mean?
</font>
-6 AN is the size of the AN fitting. -6 is really small, -16 is really damn huge. I suggest you do more research before you think about doing this. Do you have a Helm's manual? You need to see where the stock tranny cooler is plumbed into the tranny. Then you need to find the size of the tubing used. You also need to decide if you're going to use stainless braid (you have to use AN fittings then), or if you're going to use rubber tubing. If you're going to use rubber tubing, then you will need to get a cooler with SAE fittings. I know that the Mocal coolers can be bought with SAE fittings, but I am not sure about the Setrab coolers.

Do some more research on the Prelude. Figure out what size the tubing is, where you can mount the cooler, etc. etc.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

#17 ·
sheesh! now its ALOT more complicated than i thought...

i was planning on using just some good hoses and not steel braided. i didnt even know we had stock tranny oil coolers! so i guess ill check my helms this weekend when i have the chance or somthing and check how big (AN) the hoses are. then i guess ill look that up in the mocal coolers since they have SAE sizes. that is what SAE fittings means right? official sizes of the tubes used?

#18 ·
MODS!!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE copy or move this to the FAQ!

thank you ever so much!

------------------
<A HREF="http://gotigersgo.fansonly.com/sports/m-baskbl/mem-m-baskbl-body.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Record: 21-15 after starting 2-6
N.I.T. 3rd place

G
#21 ·
sheesh! now its ALOT more complicated than i thought...

then i guess ill look that up in the mocal coolers since they have SAE sizes. that is what SAE fittings means right? official sizes of the tubes used?
</font>
Did you think I would make it easy??

SAE fittings are NPT fittings. You can find barbed to NPT fittings easily. They are very common. Call Racerwholesale, I bet they can get Mocal coolers with NPT fittings on them. I would go with something like a 1/2" NPT minimum. You can find adapters to fit 1/2 NPT to 1/2 barbed or 1/2 NPT to 3/8 barbed. I would be surprised if the cooler tubing is smaller than 3/8.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

#22 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DYI01:
here are some pics of what mine looks like

i bought a whole kit that came with all the fittings and everything.

</font>
hey your pics arent showing up, or is it just me....?

------------------

CURENT MODS:
-UR pulleys set SS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.