Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Collector
2,721 Posts
any 92-96 Prelude trans will bolt right up. Also some Accord trans will fit as well. I don't remember what years, you should search on that. I think 94-95.

as far as I know 97-01 wont fit.

·
The Collector
2,721 Posts
yeah I think certain Accord ones will fit. I'm sorry I can't remember what years and can't search that for you atm. I think 94-95 Accord or something like that.

·
The Collector
2,721 Posts
Oh, is your Lude F or H series?

most F and H series engine's trannys are interchangeable, except for the atts sh tranny, and s2000 transmissions.here is the order of shortest to longest gears...h22, h23, f22

·
Registered
6 Posts
S-LudeDan, you are a bit wrong. All 92-01 H22, H23, F20, F22 gearboxes are interchangeable. Of course not S2000 and I don't know about ATTS. Atts is in the differential area, engine is the same, that means you can bolt it on the engine. But this would be a swap with electronic work etc :)

What I mean, is that you can bolt on the box to the engine. But there is some slight other differences.
* Main one - that flywheel cover at the bottom. 92-92 it is metal shield, 97-01 it is aluminum cover with different bolt places.
* Also as I found out, U2Q7 box (Accord Type R form Europe) has differently mounted slave clutch cylinder.
* Then U2Q7 has electronic VSS, 92-96 Prelude H22 VSS is connected to power steering fluid. And teeth are different.
* maybe some other :)

But all those slight (or not so much) differences can be overcome.

·
The Collector
2,721 Posts
S-LudeDan, you are a bit wrong. All 92-01 H22, H23, F20, F22 gearboxes are interchangeable. Of course not S2000 and I don't know about ATTS. Atts is in the differential area, engine is the same, that means you can bolt it on the engine. But this would be a swap with electronic work etc :)

What I mean, is that you can bolt on the box to the engine. But there is some slight other differences.
* Main one - that flywheel cover at the bottom. 92-92 it is metal shield, 97-01 it is aluminum cover with different bolt places.
* Also as I found out, U2Q7 box (Accord Type R form Europe) has differently mounted slave clutch cylinder.
* Then U2Q7 has electronic VSS, 92-96 Prelude H22 VSS is connected to power steering fluid. And teeth are different.
* maybe some other :)

But all those slight (or not so much) differences can be overcome.
yeah I possibly might be wrong, but I know for sure that the SH tranny from 97-01 wont fit a 4th gen. That's why I said most. Not all.

I also heard that fitting a base tranny from 97-01 will also have complications as well.

I'm sure they will bolt on, but that doesn't mean it's a bam bam swap.

The S2000 definitely will not fit.

·
The Collector
2,721 Posts
OP if you don't want headaches avoid 97-01 trannys. Just find a 92-96 Prelude trans, any of those years will be direct swap, just keep in mind the gear ratios, so the best thing would be a trans from a 2.2

also you can go the Accord route as well.

·
The Collector
2,721 Posts
2.2L what? F22 or H22, they are both 2.2

I went from an F22A1 to an H23A, and there was a "Holy ****" noticeable difference. Make sure you get the one that suits your needs.
you swapped in H23 motor and kept the trans from F22?

yeah, you are noticing the longer gears. It can be a very good thing on top end.

·
Registered
246 Posts
No I swapped from F22 engine and tranny to the H23. Crazy difference in power and shift points.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Atts is in the differential area, engine is the same, that means you can bolt it on the engine.
That's wrong. SH blocks are different. An SH tranny will only bolt up to an SH block.

Other than that, any H or F series tranny is a direct bolt on.

·
Registered
246 Posts
So to sum up what everyone has said.....Any F and H series transmission will bolt up to any F and H series engine with exception to the engine that came off the Prelude SH.

·
The Collector
2,721 Posts
So to sum up what everyone has said.....Any F and H series transmission will bolt up to any F and H series engine with exception to the engine that came off the Prelude SH.
yes and no

I been doing some research and there are some trans from F20 motors that will not bolt right up. I don't know if its misinformation or not, but there are a few sources I found that say that they won't bolt up.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
yep. that's what I told him. most H and F will bolt on. Not all of them.
Not really. Your post was vague and your info about 97-01 trannies was wrong. A tranny from a base model 97-01 will bolt up just fine.

Also, for the purpose of answering the original question, it does not matter if the OP has an f22 or an H22. Transmission are interchangeable between the two.

Yup. Well that, and obviously the s2k tranny won't work. Automatics aren't all interchangable either, since the electronics are not all the same between them.

yes and no

I been doing some research and there are some trans from F20 motors that will not bolt right up. I don't know if its misinformation or not, but there are a few sources I found that say that they won't bolt up.
The f20c and f22c are the engines from the s2k...is that what you're talking about?

·
The Collector
2,721 Posts
The f20c and f22c are the engines from the s2k...is that what you're talking about?
yeah those are F series.

so not all F and H series trannys are interchangeable. Most are, but not all. That's all my post was trying to say.

Saying that all F and H series trans are swappable into a 4th gen Prelude is not correct.

·
The Collector
2,721 Posts
Oh, is your Lude F or H series?

most F and H series engine's trannys are interchangeable, except for the atts sh tranny, and s2000 transmissions.here is the order of shortest to longest gears...h22, h23, f22
this is my intial post. Nothing vague about it.

I will say it again, not all F and H series trannies is interchangeable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts