Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my aem and i noticed i got worse gas mileage and also lost alot of low end. The stock intake was good but now i dont have as much low end. What can i get to raise low end back up cuz all i do i drive around the city under 4k rpm so i need some more lowend.

------------------
aLwAyS lOoKiNg To Go FaStEr
2000 Crystal Blue Base Prelude
OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT
Dc Front Upper Strut Tower Bar
Dc Rear Lower Strut Tower Bar
Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
AUDIO:Alpine 7965 CD deck,Mtx Thunder 304 @ 375 Watts, Mtx Thunder 302 @ 400 Watts Powering A 12 Inch Mtx 8000, and Alpine 12 Disc Cd Changer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by joedaddy:
only thing i can think of are pullies,
I am the AEM pulley kit, and i love it
</font>
I got aem pulleys too, and no complaint's here... mine are great~! Then agian I did not notice any loss in low end with my aem cai.

[This message has been edited by Luder-xhpx (edited March 29, 2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would get pullies but have heard bad things about them and with my stereo system i know it would make my car really really bad. it would probally make the lights dim 24/7

------------------
aLwAyS lOoKiNg To Go FaStEr
2000 Crystal Blue Base Prelude
OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT
Dc Front Upper Strut Tower Bar
Dc Rear Lower Strut Tower Bar
Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
AUDIO:Alpine 7965 CD deck,Mtx Thunder 304 @ 375 Watts, Mtx Thunder 302 @ 400 Watts Powering A 12 Inch Mtx 8000, and Alpine 12 Disc Cd Changer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i thought maybe getting an exhust might help some low end or maybe some headers. i want to do a mod but dont know what to do next. i am still waiting for my rear sway bar to come in

------------------
aLwAyS lOoKiNg To Go FaStEr
2000 Crystal Blue Base Prelude
OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT
Dc Front Upper Strut Tower Bar
Dc Rear Lower Strut Tower Bar
Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
AUDIO:Alpine 7965 CD deck,Mtx Thunder 304 @ 375 Watts, Mtx Thunder 302 @ 400 Watts Powering A 12 Inch Mtx 8000, and Alpine 12 Disc Cd Changer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BoYgUaN:
i would get pulleys but have heard bad things about them and with my stereo system I know it would make my car really really bad. it would probably make the lights dim 24/7
</font>
the accessory pulleys (aftermarket) only are not harmful to your engine... the crank pulley is the debated one that may/ or may not cause damage.

stereo is definitely going to cause your lights to dim with pulleys, but it would have happened over time anyway.

you could get a capacitor for the stereo and a high output alternator to alleviate the problem.

[This message has been edited by Luder-xhpx (edited March 29, 2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont know if it would happen over time cuz the prelude has a 110 alternator already. With my stereo system right now, it works fine and nothing wrong with it. If i do get pullies AEM or Unothodox? I havened heard the unorthodox pullies making lights dim yet. but i miss my low end. i can barely keep up with camary's just off the light when i keep it under 4k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont know if it would happen over time cuz the prelude has a 110 alternator already. With my stereo system right now, it works fine and nothing wrong with it. If i do get pullies AEM or Unothodox? I havened heard the unorthodox pullies making lights dim yet. but i miss my low end. i can barely keep up with camary's just off the light when i keep it under 4k

------------------

aLwAyS lOoKiNg To Go FaStEr
2000 Crystal Blue Base Prelude
OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT
Dc Front Upper Strut Tower Bar
Dc Rear Lower Strut Tower Bar
Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
AUDIO:Alpine 7965 CD deck,Mtx Thunder 304 @ 375 Watts, Mtx Thunder 302 @ 400 Watts Powering A 12 Inch Mtx 8000, and Alpine 12 Disc Cd Changer
 
7

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BoYgUaN:
i thought maybe getting an exhust might help some low end or maybe some headers. i want to do a mod but dont know what to do next. i am still waiting for my rear sway bar to come in
</font>
If you want more low end torque;

1. get cam gears and dial them in for low end torque gain.
2. go back to the stock intake
3. don't install a huge exhaust
4. make sure the headers have primaries that are close to stock size (probably won't make a difference, though).
5. get an SC

6. stuff a V8 under the hood


Not many mods will give you better low torque because most are aimed at increasing power in the sweet spot (6000+ rpms). Most modifications (intake, exhaust, header, etc.) do this at the expense of low end torque. There has to be a trade off somewhere, and low end torque gets the **** end of the stick.

Your best bet will probably be cam gears. You can dial in more low end torque, but you will sacrafice some top end power. It's all about trade offs.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,979 Posts
billy can you comment on cam gears with respect to the negative effects of gen5 ECU's (obd2)?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
If you want more low end torque;

1. get cam gears and dial them in for low end torque gain.
2. go back to the stock intake
3. don't install a huge exhaust
4. make sure the headers have primaries that are close to stock size (probably won't make a difference, though).
5. get an SC

6. stuff a V8 under the hood


Not many mods will give you better low torque because most are aimed at increasing power in the sweet spot (6000+ rpms). Most modifications (intake, exhaust, header, etc.) do this at the expense of low end torque. There has to be a trade off somewhere, and low end torque gets the **** end of the stick.

Your best bet will probably be cam gears. You can dial in more low end torque, but you will sacrafice some top end power. It's all about trade offs.

</font>
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jkoc:
billy can you comment on cam gears with respect to the negative effects of gen5 ECU's (obd2)?
</font>
I'll comment. The '96 and up ECUs will "correct" for this. I can't say that *all* the power or low end gain would disappear, but the ECU will certainly modify the fuel map and/or timing to correct for the change in emissions.

A way to get back some of the mileage (and more power) would be to get a V-AFC and disable the ECU's memory backup (or reset it occasionally) *OR* do an OBD1 conversion. The conversion will cost you more but will allow you to have your ECU reprogrammed, though either method should really be done w/dyno testing.
 
7

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
I'll comment. The '96 and up ECUs will "correct" for this. I can't say that *all* the power or low end gain would disappear, but the ECU will certainly modify the fuel map and/or timing to correct for the change in emissions.

A way to get back some of the mileage (and more power) would be to get a V-AFC and disable the ECU's memory backup (or reset it occasionally) *OR* do an OBD1 conversion. The conversion will cost you more but will allow you to have your ECU reprogrammed, though either method should really be done w/dyno testing.
</font>
What he said.


------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vabeach_lude:
I think we were looking for here was low end gains.


</font>
and turbo will give ya plenty compared to other bolt-ons.


------------------
1999 prelude-stock
base 5 spd
premium white
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Maybe in your world. But in my world, a turbo (specifically a t3t04)has to spool up and doesnt kick in until 4500 rpm.


------------------
14.6 @ 93.6mph with I/E
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well i dont know what to do i really want the mugen exhust for some reason but dont know how that is or if it is really worth the money. I kinda want the best for my car. I think i mite just save up or the JUN package. With the internal engine mods it should give me better power in general

------------------

aLwAyS lOoKiNg To Go FaStEr
2000 Crystal Blue Base Prelude
OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT
Dc Front Upper Strut Tower Bar
Dc Rear Lower Strut Tower Bar
Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
AUDIO:Alpine 7965 CD deck,Mtx Thunder 304 @ 375 Watts, Mtx Thunder 302 @ 400 Watts Powering A 12 Inch Mtx 8000, and Alpine 12 Disc Cd Changer
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top