Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought you guys may want to see...

Right front tire blew... the car spun out of control, off the side of the road and into that rocky wall that's hidden by the trees. Flipped two or three times. I was behind him in mine so saw the whole thing... the pic of his face is all the visible damage that he sustained. His ribs hurt and he's still really dizzy 4 days later...

·
Registered
247 Posts
im assuming thats totalled...sigh another loss of a prelude...good he walked away alive with no severe damage to himself.
-Dan

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We aren't sure what the insurance company is going to say yet. He's supposed to meet us at the junk yard tomorrow... so we'll see. I can't expect that they'd do much else but total it...

I'm staying in TN with him until we get things all straightened out. We leave Thursday/Friday to go get his new car.... driving to Houston to pick up a 92 Legend Coupe (5 speed) that we found on ebay (friend of mine went to nit pick it to death first). He doesn't want a car payment or to pay out the ass for insurance any more so..... for now that's it. He said he'll get another lude later though.

You guys... please be careful out there during the rainy season. Buckle up. Really don't want to see any more pics like this any time soon.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure why it blew. But I can say one word: Firestone

We were going about 60-65... not any more than that. I told him to take it easy when we left after dinner because my parada's get a little squirrely in the rain sometimes....

·
Premium Member
4,643 Posts
april said:
Not sure why it blew. But I can say one word: Firestone

We were going about 60-65... not any more than that. I told him to take it easy when we left after dinner because my parada's get a little squirrely in the rain sometimes....
What does that's mean? 'Firestone'?

Did you know that Ford Explorers had problems with handling so in order to compensate, they bumped up the tire pressures a lot higher without consulting with Firestone? And the ONE model that did fall apart which occured during high tempertures, looked like the tread came right off the tire... (which doesn't seem to be the case in your friend's incident) How do you know that he didn't had a bad alignment which was was eating inside the tire producing inside wear? Or maybe the last person to install that tire ripped the bead on the tire which comprised the integrity of the tire? Or there was belt broken or bubble on the side wall that went un noticed way too long? As well, Firestone doesn't make tires in our size 205 50R16... I'm not pointing fingers here but I don't want jump to conclusions either.

·
B cuz I got it like that.
10,036 Posts
all I know is after seeing those pics... we are definetly not safe in our cars for any blow out regardless of who the tire manufacturer is.

Thats like the 4th messed up 5th gen I saw that was totaled due to a simple blow out.

What scares me is the fact that he had stock rims on the car... like I do. Though 60-65 in the rain aint that smart... but luckily he survived in pretty shape.

Does he remember panicing and slamming on the brakes ? Maybe that added to the disasterous accident.

I am definetly replacing my balding rear tires this week.
( Toyo Fz4 205 50 R 16.)

·
Convicted GSR Rapist
2,029 Posts
not bad! not bad at all! I think it still looks good for what its been through. I've seen some mangled ludes ... like justwakin's lude when he wrecked it. But glad no one was severly hurt. Let me know how that legend works out ... i've always been curious about those cars.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I'm surprised that it spun out of control going only 60-65, but then I don't know what the road conditions were like. Our cars are very stable. I would hope they could suffer a blowout without going off the road. The interior still looks pretty much intact for a car that flipped out of control at that speed. At least our cars are pretty safe. He's lucky.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Keith... actually the first thing the insurance company asked was if it had firestone tires on it. They said they've had a large amount of claims lately from cars with ANY type of firestone tires on it. *shrug*

Until someone looks at the car and determines what exactly caused it to blow, who knows...

Deadfish-- no he never hit the brakes...

·