Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I'm back baby!
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of suspension do ludes have?

I mean like the corvette has double wishbone suspension.....

What do ludes have? I guess as a secondary question, what type of suspension has the best handling characteristics? I have heard that ludes handle very well, but having not owned one yet (I emphasize yet... see my sig) I don't have any first hand knowledge.

TIA

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Ludes from 3rd gen onwards have Double Wishbones all round.

For best handling and grip double wishbone is best. All open wheel race cars have them, F1, Cart, IRL. It is the suspension layout favoured by Ferraris. DW give very good toe control and camber control with minimal geometry deviations compared with other types. Also DW is good for FWD cars because it minimises torque steer effects.

·
I'm back baby!
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool thats what I was hoping. I know that hot rodders will find corvette suspension for their rides so I figured it was the best.

How does Hondas DW compare with others?

·
Registered
381 Posts
it's not quite as beefy as alot of the super car's suspensions. ours only has an upper A arm, while the lower arm is just an arm with a radius rod. vette's, s2000's, etc, have both an upper and lower A arm.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
so whats the difference between a double wishbone setup and macpherson strut setup?I was looking at an rsx before I bought my lude and it has a macpherson setup

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Macpherson strut has no upper a arm, just the lower suspension arm. Basically it is made of a spring over a damper pivoted on a ball joint on the sole lower arm. It is attatched to the vehicle at the top by a roller bearing. This has the advantage that the strut is the load bearing member as opposed to the shock absorber. Steering is achieved by attatchment either directly to the lower end of the shock absorber or to an arm off of the spindle.

Double wishbone has an arm on the top and bottom. Because of the additional control arm up the top the load bearing component is independant of the geometry control componet. This minimises effects like brake steer, unwanted toe changes under acceleration and cornering.

Click HERE for an article on Honda double wishbone setups.

·
I'm back baby!
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
racinghonda said:
Macpherson strut has no upper a arm, just the lower suspension arm. Basically it is made of a spring over a damper pivoted on a ball joint on the sole lower arm. It is attatched to the vehicle at the top by a roller bearing. This has the advantage that the strut is the load bearing member as opposed to the shock absorber. Steering is achieved by attatchment either directly to the lower end of the shock absorber or to an arm off of the spindle.

Double wishbone has an arm on the top and bottom. Because of the additional control arm up the top the load bearing component is independant of the geometry control componet. This minimises effects like brake steer, unwanted toe changes under acceleration and cornering.

Click HERE for an article on Honda double wishbone setups.

Sweet thanks.

Would there be an advantage to adopting a better DW setup like the 5 point to a 4th gen? Or would it be to expensive to be worth it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts