Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I THINK my car may be running rich. I get black carbon deposits on my exhaust all the time. My gas mileage is pretty bad.

What is the best brand for the air/fuel meter? I've read that those Autometer or digital meters are not that accurate. I remember reading somewhere a while ago that a well respected company in Japan released a very accurate analog air/fuel meter. Any recommendations? I don't want anything fancy or colorful, just something accurate and easy to read.

One last question... if I do find that I'm running rich, how would I adjust it on my stock fuel pressure regulator. Is it even possible? Or would I have to buy an after market FPR? Also, I've resetted my ECU many times... don't notice any difference.

G

·
Motec, it's only $3k+. Other than that, I believe Horiba makes something more reasonable, around $1k.

The FPR is not adjustable from the factory. You can use a B&M or AEM AFPR.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Actually, Comptech just released a FPR - I saw it in an ad in Turbo. I wonder how it compares to the AEM.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Registered
622 Posts
The RSR A/F gauge is probably the best out there... a little expensive (around $250) but coupled with a good 4-wire O2 sensor it works pretty well. The fastest street Supra in the world (El Bandito) uses it... and recommended by Performance Factory NYC.

·
Registered
195 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by White98SH:
The RSR A/F gauge is probably the best out there... a little expensive (around $250) but coupled with a good 4-wire O2 sensor it works pretty well. The fastest street Supra in the world (El Bandito) uses it... and recommended by Performance Factory NYC.</font>
thought you cannot get RSR products here in the states anymore?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
actually, the best a/f meter out there is the j&s a/f meter w/ knock display. you won't be able to use the knock display, but the a/f you can use. it has two modes, cruise and race, and people tell me it's one of the best meters they've seen for that price ($180).

about running rich......it's probably not worth the trouble of finding the optimum fuel pressures for stoich a/f readings, unless you really want to go through it all. ALl would be getting a new fuel pressure regulator (weapon r, sx, b&m(doesn't this only rise the rate? i mite be wrong)). and then dynoing your car to find the optimum fuel curves. blah blah....you're looking at ~~200-300 just to get your fuel curves right.

if you had major mods, then i'd do it.

how many miles per tank are you getting?

i get 260-280miles per 13 gallons on a turbo car. i run rich when in boost.

a lil black never hurt..hehhe

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts