Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about relocating my battery to the rear of the car, but what guage wire should I use. I know there is a formula for calculating the gauge based on distance from the source, but I don't know what it is. I don't have a high power system or anything so the smallest proper guage should work fine. I will probably just put in a breaker box or something to attach the current terminal wires to the ones I will use to run to the rear of the car. Also, should I run the current ground from the terminal, or should I just ground it in the rear of the car? Does anything else attach to the negative terminal that would makes this difficult or so I just relocate the battery and ground the battery to the closest source? By the way I am moving the battery for better weight distribution and handling, not for a system or anything.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
4 gauge should be fine, you could go bigger if you wanted to be safe and spend more money.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
Ground the battery in the rear.

some kits come with 4 gauge wiring to relocate the battery... but i dunno, i'd go with 2 gauge or 1/0 even. i say more is better. you never know, someday you might wanna put an amp back there.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I'd use atleast 2 gauge but 4 should work
and put a circuit breaker back there for it

·
Registered
576 Posts
With 4 gauge I had trouble starting my old car in the winter. I went to 1/0 and the issue went away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts