Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's about that time to change the coolant in my car. I'm wondering if there is any difference in the coolants they sell. Judging by the numbers on the back, they are all virtually identical. Is one better than the other? Anything else you'd do recommend while changing the coolant? Thanks for the helps.

Daniel

grnlude97

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
How does everyone feel about Redline Water Wetter and does anyone recommend it? Also how much do you add to the rest of your coolant? Do you need to flush it first, add new coolant & then the water wetter? or can you just empty some then add the WW?

------------------
14.6 @ 93.6mph with I/E

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hell I'd go with everything Honda cept the oil. Mobil here for me. Otherwise. HONDA!

------------------
00 Black Lude
Full Gold Trim Kit,including exhaust tips
Gold tint

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you're going to do some hardcore racing around, try Evans racing coolant. It supposedly dissaptes heat so well that it is the equivalent of raising the octane rating of your gas. Pretty crazy, huh?

------------------
1990 Volvo 740 Turbo/IC
The Swedish Honda

·
Registered
268 Posts
Water wetter doesn't protect the aluminum as well as conventional coolant. It also doesn't cool as well.

The reason it exists is because racers needed something to aid in cooling because they cannot run antifreeze in their cars. This is due to the slickness of the antifreeze and risk of spillage on the race track.

Simply put, do not run water wetter unless you have a dedicated race car.

------------------
BRacing
"Going faster since 1994"

"Drag racing is for those that can't steer"

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BRacing:
Water wetter doesn't protect the aluminum as well as conventional coolant. It also doesn't cool as well.</font>
I beg to differ. When I put water wetter in my car, I noticed that the temp gauge was noticably lower. Not a HUGE difference, but nevertheless, it was a difference.

It is true that water wetter does not prevent corrosion as well as coolant. First time I ran water wetter was with a 50/50 mix. It works fine, and that's when I noticed the initial difference.

This last time that I did a flush, I did an 80/20 mix (water/coolant) and a bottle of water wetter. Worked fine doing 20 minute run groups at Texas World Speedway, running the car at WOT for extended periods of time in the Texas July heat.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GldCrzy:
Hell I'd go with everything Honda cept the oil. Mobil here for me. Otherwise. HONDA!
</font>
Honda fluid for the PS system, tranny, and coolant. Better brake fluid is available. Same opinion on the oil, though, Mobil 1 all the way.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
Honda fluid for the PS system, tranny, and coolant. Better brake fluid is available. Same opinion on the oil, though, Mobil 1 all the way.

</font>
Real quick... about the tranny fluid. Helm's says 10w30 or 10w40 (dependant on temperature), but while I was at a dealership service desk, they said MTL. Now, I was wondering what some 4th gen'ers had to say about this. I was planning on changing the tranny fluid this weekend, so I kinda need to know what I should use. I know for newer honda's, they use MTL, but, on most older ones (95 and older) they just use a 10w30 or 10w40.

I was also thinking abuot synthetic. I figured, if I'm put in 10w30 or 10w40, would there be any benefit from changing to Mobil 1? Or would that have a negative effect due to the slipperiness of the oil?

I was wondering about some other opinions.. and wanted to bring this back up:

http://honda-acura.net/forum/Forum20/HTML/009355.html

Thanks.

-e-

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thatchmaster:
Real quick... about the tranny fluid. Helm's says 10w30 or 10w40 (dependant on temperature), but while I was at a dealership service desk, they said MTL. Now, </font>
As far as I know 10w30 or 40 can be used as a replacement if you don't have MTL. I'd go with the MTL though.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
I beg to differ. When I put water wetter in my car, I noticed that the temp gauge was noticably lower. Not a HUGE difference, but nevertheless, it was a difference.

It is true that water wetter does not prevent corrosion as well as coolant. First time I ran water wetter was with a 50/50 mix. It works fine, and that's when I noticed the initial difference.

This last time that I did a flush, I did an 80/20 mix (water/coolant) and a bottle of water wetter. Worked fine doing 20 minute run groups at Texas World Speedway, running the car at WOT for extended periods of time in the Texas July heat.
</font>
BUT, as Billy will remember, my car did just fine, too, with a 50/50 Preston Pink Mix and water w/o wetter. I've seen Wetter tests that claim a 10% reduction in temp but I haven't noticed a performance or temp decrease in any of my cars (at least by guages). Honestly, I don't think it's worth the money. You're better off changing the coolant frequently.

Antifreeze does two things: keeps the coolant from freezing and lubricates the pump and seals. Unless you see temps below freezing, a 60/40, 70/30, or even 80/20 mix is fine. Water transfers heat better than anifreeze, I'd suggest running a 70/30 or 80/20 water/antifreeze mix over wetter or anything else.

I don't think Honda doesn't anything special with the coolant (though they do MTL and p/s fluid). I've been running Prestone Pink while racing the last 20k miles w/no problems. It's cheap and more easily available.

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gabe:
As far as I know 10w30 or 40 can be used as a replacement if you don't have MTL. I'd go with the MTL though.

Gabe

</font>
It's weird because the Helm's says to use 10w30 or 10w40. Hm...

-e-

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Registered
431 Posts
From what I heard. The only reason you need coolant is prevent it from froze. Since you are in Houston, it is not an issue(if your car is garage kept in the winter). So water should be the best performance wise. And also, it saves you money

------------------
1999 Prelude 5spd
Premium Pearl White
0-60 6.7s 1/4 [email protected]

·
Registered
136 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shmang:
From what I heard. The only reason you need coolant is prevent it from froze. Since you are in Houston, it is not an issue(if your car is garage kept in the winter). So water should be the best performance wise. And also, it saves you money

</font>

Not true.. at least not on a daily-driven car. As Todd wrote, coolant protects metals in the engine, lubricates the pump and seals, provides boil-over and freezing protection. You need to run at least 10-15% coolant (or some other means of protection) in your mixture. I run an 80/20 Prestone pink mixture with WaterWetter, as well as a 160-degree thermostat (stock is 194). Since my car is a 4th-gen, I can not read any changes on the digital coolant temp. gauge, but there was a definite reduction in coolant temps, mainly due to the thermostat. Old racer's rule- for every additional 1% of Ethlyne-Glycol coolant in your mixture, coolant temps will raise by one degree.

·
Registered
431 Posts
That's true, Lude_conduct. You got to have some means of rust protect if you use water only as coolant.

What I was saying is: to get freeze, lubricate protection is not neccessary in Houston and water will improve the performance and lower the temp. of the engine. So, I would rather find some rust protection stuff and mix it with water. Am I missing something here?

------------------
1999 Prelude 5spd
Premium Pearl White
0-60 6.7s 1/4 [email protected]

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's not just rust. Our Aluminum blocks won't "rust" as iron blocks do. However, there are other metals found in bearings, the water pump, and the head. Magnesium is a touchy metal found in some bearing races which must be protected. A rust inhibitor alone won't protect these metals. The temp difference from using a 20/80 mixture to 100% water is negligible at best. Keep some coolant in there and if anything, swap in a cooler thermostat.

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Anyone else on the tranny fluid issue?

-e-

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

www.thatchland.com

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I think that is funny that you guys are recommending Honda Coolant. Here is a little info for you to absorb, Honda Coolant is nothing but rebadged Prestone. The dealer I used to work for stopped using the "Honda" coolant, because it was cheaper to buy regular Prestone. So just remember just because it says Honda on the bottle doesn't mean that it is better than any other fluid. The only Genuine Honda fluid that I would use is Power Steering fluid. But for Coolant, just make sure to use coolant that is compatible with Aluminum engines. I used Prestone extended life coolant in my Hondas, with Zero problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts