Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed in a post that someone said one of the things not to do was abuse the transmission. What constitutes abuse?

------------------
1999 Honda Prelude Base 5-Speed. Crystal Blue Metallic.

"Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

·
Registered
725 Posts
You'll probably get a bunch of different answers for this. But for me, abuse is stuff like power shifting, riding the clutch, shifting without depressing the clutch all the way, not rev-matching.

But I'm pretty anal about my shifting, so others might not consider not rev-matching a huge deal.

------------------
'00 Prelude
Black 5spd

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Basically slamming gears into place, power shifting, and grinding gears.

I don't think that rev matching is bad, in fact I would think it was better for the tranny than just letting the tranny absorb compression braking when downshifting. Try not doing this when you have a lightweight flywheel and see how it feels.

Make sure your slave cylinder is in good order and that you have adequate hydraulic pressure, having a bad cylinder can cause grinding, which in turn can ruin your sychros. Light pedal pressure or the pedal dropping close to the floor is a symptom of this problem.

I would have to say that mis-shifting or hitting the limiter and causing the tranny to block the up-shift is the most common form of abuse. This tends to grind down the synchros as well.

Also make sure to use only Honda MTF. Oil or transmission fluid won't lubricate properly and cause premature synchro wear.

------------------
Warren

93 Prelude VTEC N/A (lots of mods) [email protected]

00 Honda Accord SE (stock)

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
Wasn't there another post, just like with with the same title, a few days ago?! </font>
Yes.

·
Registered
725 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VeeTec:

I don't think that rev matching is bad, in fact I would think it was better for the tranny than just letting the tranny absorb compression braking when downshifting. Try not doing this when you have a lightweight flywheel and see how it feels.

</font>

I wasn't saying that rev matching is bad. But I'm not sure if not rev matching would constitute transmission abuse. It seems alot of people don't want to go thru the hassle of learning.

But I totally agree with you that rev matching is the way to go

------------------
'00 Prelude
Black 5spd

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
When downshifting without rev matching it could cause wear. The clutch will also wear out faster. It can also ruin the motor mounts if it is done hard enough.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What about shifting without depressing the clutch all the way to the floor? I do this mostly in the upper gears, 3 and up.

------------------
2000 Silver
Lovin' every km!!
http://www.hondaprelude.to

·
Registered
810 Posts
All I have to say is that it's better to ride the clutch than it is to be hard on the tranny. You can always replace a clutch relatively cheaply, a tranny is a different story.

·
Buttering up the muffin
965 Posts
I only rev match after slowing down, making a turn, then accelerating. And yes, I am quite lazy
rev matching when I'm down shifting or the while the car is moving in nuetral. I'm trying to get in the habit to rev match. It'll take me a while to break a bad habit. I've read a few books stating that constitutes in wearing the transmission is rolling in gear.(I'm not positive on this, so don't qoute me) By this, I mean when your in gear and your foot is off the gas. I believe it has to do with wearing your differentials. Your supposed to be in nuetral if your not giving gas. But it is a safety issue when your car is not in gear - you wont be able to manuever as quickly as when you are in gear if you have to avoid another car/person.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hmmm... my clutch pedal is pretty light compared to my friends lude..His feels super hard. And a couple of time i had the clutch fully engaged and it still grinded.. Does that mean something is wrong with my cylinder? I don't exactly know how this works exactly but could old clutch fluid cause this? I have 24000 on my car and havent changed the clutch fluid yet.

-Kev

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lclude:
Hmmm... my clutch pedal is pretty light compared to my friends lude..His feels super hard. And a couple of time i had the clutch fully engaged and it still grinded.. Does that mean something is wrong with my cylinder? I don't exactly know how this works exactly but could old clutch fluid cause this? I have 24000 on my car and havent changed the clutch fluid yet.

-Kev
</font>
muncher was in my car last Sunday and he noticed that my clutch pedal was really soft compared to his. I'm changing the fluid this Saturday so hopefully this will be resolved? The clutch still grabs fine to me though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts