Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dropped off my car at the Honda dealership to get my radiator replaced.. (I tried and failed to install a new one over the weekend, long story). Anyway I mentioned how when I was doing my oil change I noticed a good amount of oil on the undercarraige.. so i ask them to check it out well it turns out I have a bad oil pan gasket and a bad valve gasket... man AND They think that the gaskets that are behind the timing belt my be bad too... but I just had that changed at 90,000 miles, about 20,000 miles ago, so I am gonna take it back to the original place that did the timing belt and have them look at it.. ANYWAY they are gonna put in a new Rad, and relpace the oil pan and valve seal, and its gonna cost me CHACHING $550.. JEEZ this blows

ANdres

------------------
1994 VTEC
Eibach Pro-kit, KYB AGX shocks, AEM CAI, AEM pullies, Thermal exhaust.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Dude, $550?? That sucks. How did you fail installing the radiator? What dealer do you take it to? I found a place in Philly that do a pretty good job. I had my clutch replaced there. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I failed because the radiator I got did not fit the stock Fan Shrouds.. so I had to put my old radiator back in and then just gave up!!!! oh well..

------------------
1994 VTEC

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by a1andres:
I noticed a good amount of oil on the undercarraige.. so i ask them to check it out well it turns out I have a bad oil pan gasket and a bad valve gasket...
</font>

Umm, I'm a little scared now, I noticed I had oil near the drain plug, but assumed it was stuff that was left over from a dribbly oil change. It doesn't drip, and I don't need to put in any more oil than anyone else, should I have this checked out?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gLudeous:

Umm, I'm a little scared now, I noticed I had oil near the drain plug, but assumed it was stuff that was left over from a dribbly oil change. It doesn't drip, and I don't need to put in any more oil than anyone else, should I have this checked out?
</font>
Why don't you wipe it off really clean and see if it gets dirty again on your next oil change. My car used to have oil near the drain bolt too. So I wiped it really clean and on the next oil change, it was still clean. It might be because of a careless oil change before or you need a new washer on the bolt.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tola:
What dealer do you take it to? I found a place in Philly that do a pretty good job. I had my clutch replaced there. Let me know if you're interested.

</font>
Tola: Where do you take your car for work?

Andrew

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aklucsarits:
Tola: Where do you take your car for work?

Andrew
</font>
It's an asian shop down in South West Philly called T&D. It's a body shop + repair shop together. I've seen them do motor swaps, turbo installs, etc. The only thing I've gotten done professionally was the clutch, and they got it done pretty quick. I'm pretty happy with it, except that my clutch pedal creeks, they didn't lube the slave cylinder. I took it apart myself and it was a temporary fix. I used some crap grease thats why.

The body shop there does the best work I've seen around Philly. There's an MR2 turbo there that got custom vents and flared fenders done there. My friend with the EBP CSI took his car there after an accident. Flawless work. I'm planning on bringing my car there for my black paint job and remove a 4 inch dent I got the other day.

If you want more details, email me.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where is this shop exactly?? Would they be up to snuff to do an engine rebuild??? T&D? what does that stand for??? I am looking for a shop in the philly area!

Andres

------------------
1994 VTEC

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
I'd be very suspicious. I've never seen a bad valve cover gasket on a Honda (oil pan, yes). Also keep in mind you CANNOT determine an oil leak just by looking at the engine; you need to hose the thing off good with some brake cleaner or B12 Chemtool and watch it over a period of time. You'll never determine the number of leaks or location just by looking, whether you're a weekender or a shop mechanic.

I'd suggest having the radiator done and then getting another opinion on the gaskets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts