Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
SHOOPDAWHOOP
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I posted having symptoms of shock knock.. well.. they got worse and now the rattles and clunking is just plain violent and has now severely affected handling in the car.

Taking it to Honda tomorrow morning :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's time to get that car on a lift and figure out the problem, instead of us guessing. If the car is handling that badly shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

·
SHOOPDAWHOOP
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
scalawagd said:
were you on stock suspension??

yup. previous owner must not have been nice because they are totally shot and I only have 53,000 miles on the clock.

oh well.. next time I post pics I will be rocking Illumina's and Tein SS

·
SHOOPDAWHOOP
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh man... on February 12th here's what I am paying for -

Illumina's all around
Tein S springs
Timing belt replace
Fuel Filter Replace
Spark Plugs replace

Ouchies! It's 1st big maintenance time!

·
SHOOPDAWHOOP
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, just got off the phone with my mechanic who's done a dozen of these. he says it's a bad idea for me to put on the manual tensioner. Reason being, he VTEC motor puts more stress on the belt and the hydraulic tensioner keeps it tight. With a manual tensioner, with any aggressive driving I'll be tightening it constantly and will risk a slip.

there's a reason that the manual tensioner is only on the non-vtec.

so.. final decision is to just replace it with the proper tensioner.. as he's never heard of any trouble with a replacement.

·
Baller....
565 Posts
Dont forget to change the waterpump while u have all the engine apart for tensioner and all.It may seem early but i changed mine at 64k when i did my 5 speed swap.My auto tensioner failed and bent all valves.But it will save u money now to change waterpump.Costly i u do it down the road and have to take the motor apart again.But u are at 53k so it;s ur decision..

·
Tall-Scott
649 Posts
Rich_A said:
well, just got off the phone with my mechanic who's done a dozen of these. he says it's a bad idea for me to put on the manual tensioner. Reason being, he VTEC motor puts more stress on the belt and the hydraulic tensioner keeps it tight. With a manual tensioner, with any aggressive driving I'll be tightening it constantly and will risk a slip.

there's a reason that the manual tensioner is only on the non-vtec.

so.. final decision is to just replace it with the proper tensioner.. as he's never heard of any trouble with a replacement.
Almost everyone with a fully built H22 or one making large amounts of power has the manual tensioner from what I've seen. I'd take the extensive experience of this community over your mechanic's word. :shrug:

·
SHOOPDAWHOOP
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ScottMan said:
Almost everyone with a fully built H22 or one making large amounts of power has the manual tensioner from what I've seen. I'd take the extensive experience of this community over your mechanic's word. :shrug:
I don't have a built or powerful H22, and I am being advised from both Honda and my own friend and mechanic to stick with the hydraulic tensioner unless I plan on paying frequent attention and adjustment to the manual one. VTEC puts a lot of strain on these tensioners.

Part's already ordered. The hydraulic tensioner I have on now has lasted 60,000 miles with no issue... I think that's good enough reason to stick with the same kind.

I say if it does the job, why change it?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts