Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I don't post much here, but decided, hell, its worth 6$, hehe.. But anyways, I came to browse around, found good discusstions about new swaybars and just more pure prelude enthusists then honda-tech (prelude mod there).

So, anyways, going to share a little of last weekends race w/ you, at Beaver Run Motorsports Park in Beaver Falls, PA.. May 16-17..

I ordered the rear nuespeed brackets to use w/ my ST swaybar that weekend, which was different than the stock I had before, but thats about all I changed since I won both of my last races..

Unloaded the car of the trailer and went out for my first practice session, the car was everywhere!!! It was cold, so I was getting rear lockup a lot w/ my Cobalt IT-B rear pads and was just sliding and dicing everywhere in the corners.. I came in after 10 laps and told my crew chief, and only crew that we had some work to do.. Found out the rear brake lockup was because it was so cold out, and the rear tires weren't really getting "sticky hot". So we changed to some Ultimates in the rear, and also checked the rear toe, only to find out it was toed 3/4" out! No wonder the car was all over the place! So, we straighted that out to about 1/8" out total, hoping that would fix the problem, because qualifying was up next..

Went out to qualify, car felt AWESOME! Could brake so much deeper now, and w/ confidence, the car was smooth in the corners and on braking, qualfied on the pole in my class (H2) w/ 1:07.7 lap time, w/ my "teammate" right beside me in his ITR. ( I call him teammate because we have the same sponsors and are great friends) Only 2 H1 cars qualified ahead of us, but they were CRX's and Hatchbacks w/ B18 hybrid motors..

So I am thinking awesome, I have about 5 ITR's behind me on the start, excellent! Well, the organizers decided to invert the qualifying order by the class for the start of the race.. So, it went like this, the Slowest H1 car started on the pole, then the next slowest, then the next and so forth and the fastest H1 car had to start behind all the slower H1 cars.. Same goes for H2, so that meant I had to now start behind all the H2 cars I had out qualified before! Oh well, didn't *****, figured it would be fun!

So, the start of Saturday's race, I am starting now 12th, instead of 3rd like we would have normally done.. We do standing starts, like SPEED WC cars, so I get off to and awesome start (who says preludes arn't drag cars!:) ) but the ITR in front of me didnt' move as fast as I was, so in order not to rear end him, I had to cut into the grass, wide open.. Well, I am trying to pass him but can't now our accellerate him while my wheels are spinning in the grass, ****! Finally, I make my way back onto the track and loose several spots on the start, so I am in about 16th place by T1. I see Warren (ITR Teammate) WAY ahead, in like 3rd place, and knew he was the car to catch.. Well, about 9 laps into the race, I have the lead, overall, even ahead of the H1 cars! It was the most draining, outright ballsiest driving I have ever done. Once I got the lead, I started backing off, to safe my tires, brakes and so forth, like I normally do.. Then, on around lap 11, I keep hearing this weird noise when I shifted, then finally, on lap 12, I had NO gears, I am talking NONE! WTF! I can't make it to the pits, so I stop on the side of the track, finally get it into 2nd gear and make it to the pits..

Well, that race was shot, but what happened to my tranny? You guys know the big, flat washers, that go behind your shifter cables when you attach them to your transmission, yea, don't forget to put them on after changing transmissions, they keep the bushings from seperating from the cables! Thats what happened, the cable just came off the bushing, and we put it on in about 1 min.. :mad: Oh well, learn the hard way... Warren wound up winner, so I am happy..

Sunday, fixed the cable by "making" our own washer, seemed it would go "ok".. So, went out in practice, car was fast, but I went to go into 4th gear, and it poped off again! But I only had 4th halfway engaged when I let the clutch out, OPPS!! It ripped the face of 4th gear all to hell, I couldn't get it in the gear at all, not even w/ the car off.. Oh ****, how the hell am I supposed to race w/ out 4th gear?

After a little thinking, we decided to just zip tie the linkage together for insurance and to go out and have Warren "push" me down the straights for a couple laps, to help me qualify well.. Well, the car is still pretty damn fast going from 3rd to 5th gear, and a couple pushes from Warren, and I wound up qualifying w/ a 1:08.1 lap time, Warren qualified 1st in H2 w/ 1:08.0 time.. My fastest lap was a 1:07.2 on the race on Saturday, so I was only .9 seconds slower w/ out 4th gear, thank goodness 5th is pretty short!

Start of the race, I was starting 6th overall, behind 4 H1 cars and Warren.. From the start, I overtake Warren and another H1 car, and am in 4th place overall, leading H2, w/ NO 4TH gear! I am estatic! The car was wickid fast in the 3rd gear sections, and I was litterally bumping the H1 cars in the corners, trying to move them along (they were slowing me up).. I knew I had to put distance on the rest of the H2 cars, because they would catch me on the straights (was about 5mph slower w/ out 4th gear down the 2 straights) I got a little room, and was hauling ass, but saw Warren and other slowly realing me in.. After about 5 laps, my linkage couldnt' take it anymore, and the bushing feel completely off the car, all I had was 3rd gear, it wouldn't go into 5th anymore, so I called it quits, and had to let my lead go.... Limped it back around, and called it a day, and watched the last half of the race to see Warren take the win again, which I am happy for..

Learned a lot last weekend, that I can be beat, but the car is still incredibly fast! Still posted the fastest lap in H2 for the weekend, and weigh over 150lbs more than the next car.. Preludes are awesome, just the shift linkage sucks :(

Now I am Tied for 1st w/ Warren for the championship, should be a good season!

Sorry for the long post, figured some would enjoy, I know I did, even though my car didn't..

BTW, anyone got any M2F4 trannys/parts lying around?

Cheers, Corey

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they sure do, this was a hyperfest event www.hyper-fest.com so there as a lot going on..

Honda Challenge Won't be back there this year (thank goodness, I hate PA) but we will be at summmit point for another hyperfest July 4th weekend, I'll be there, its my home track.. Its about 1.3 hours from DC area in WV, just south of charlestown

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
Great read, Corey! Sorry, I don't have any trannies lying around.;)

·
sportin' the 4x4....
6,527 Posts
First off Corey, glad to see you frequenting PO.com :D And ofcourse, nice driving ---> hope you have better luck in the future... wish I could afford to be out there racing like you... how much would you estimate a season to cost you?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, took the tranny apart and looked inside, the synchro springs for 3-5th gear are shot, and 4th is pretty gone as well. not to bad though, now just gotta order the bushing that fell out..

Oh yea, honda challenge got rid of the 13/13 rule, we can bump and rub all we want, just nothing blantent or obvously dangerious, that can get us on probation (I was bumping him in the rear bumper, to go faster, not on the sides)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts