Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was out of the country and sent my girl to do an oil change. Apparently when she took it they (Walmart Tech) said the car was low on oil. Anyways they did the oil change and when I came back I noticed they used 6 quarts of oil. I drove over 200 miles to San Antonio and on the way back at one point I noticed the car wasnt taking the gas when I hit the pedal and in no time there was smoke coming from all over the engine and when I opened the hood oil was visible near the coil that has the spark plug wires. I let it cool off, then I noticed the car is slamming into gear(My car is SS but I hardly use that option). The car ran like a beast to get home and then I noticed the same trans issue. I know I need to replace 2 motor mounts so I am wondering if that is the problem. This morning when I first got out it slams into reverse and D and when driving it hesitates when changing gears. Now this afternoon the car seems to be running fine. I plan to get it checked out tomorrow but I am just curious as to what caused this. Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
Ouch. I'm sorry I'm not going to offer any help, except to say: CHANGE YOUR OWN OIL!!!! I never let anybody touch my car anymore. I used to take it to the dealership and get my oil changed when I first bought my Lude, until they put a scratch in my fender. H22's only take 5.1qts of oil. If they used 6, you could have all sorts of **** going on, like blown piston rings to blown seals, to whatever else. Too much oil is not a good thing. Maybe your girl beat the hell out of your car while you were gone and killed the transmission also. You never know. My friend's baby-mama blew up his h22. When you had oil all over the engine compartment, some of it may have gotten into the timing inspection window and is causing your torque convertor to slip or something. I don't really know much about how torque convertors work, but assuming it wasn't slipping before the oil all over the engine bay, this seems logical to me. Check by where your engine and trans meet, right near the Engine Code Stamp (H22A4) there should be a black rubber plug. If it isn't there and there is just a rectangle hole where you and see the flywheel, you might've gotten oil in there. Also check to see exactly where all of that oil came from(I know, I know. Captain obvious, right? ) Good luck with both problems. Hopefully it isn't something major like the tranny is dying. You know how much of a ticking timebomb these damn SS AT's are.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. Btw LUDE ACTS I feel your pain as the idiot put a big scratchon my bumper. I always change oil myself but since I was away and didnt want to skip out on maintenance I sent my girl to get it done. A 5 spd swap is a great idea but only when the SS dies completely.

·
Registered
267 Posts
hahah they used 6 quarts???? yea ludes only take 5, that would tell you right there they did know know what they were doing

·
Registered
88 Posts
they probably didn't actually use 6 quarts, just because it was over 5 they will charge you for 6

1 - 6 of 6 Posts