Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed this noise for awhile now. Whenever I am in gear at about 60 km/h and I let off on the gas, I have a noise almost like a big trucks engine-brake, but not that loud. It sounds like a resonation somewhere in the motor. Anyone else notice this or is this something I should have looked at?

------------------
1999 Honda Prelude Base 5-Speed. Crystal Blue Metallic.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Does it only make the sound as the RPM's drop? Also does it sound like a rattling? I have a similar noise and most people seem to think ti's the timing belt auto tensioner which seems to be a common problem with our cars. If you pop the hood you can try and listen for it but hitting the gas a little bit and seeing if the noise is coming from the timing belt area. Give that a shot and let us know.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
Does it only make the sound as the RPM's drop? Also does it sound like a rattling? I have a similar noise and most people seem to think ti's the timing belt auto tensioner which seems to be a common problem with our cars. If you pop the hood you can try and listen for it but hitting the gas a little bit and seeing if the noise is coming from the timing belt area. Give that a shot and let us know.</font>
It is not a rattling sound. The only way I can describe it is like when a large truck uses the engine brake (jake-brake) to slow. It sounds like that. It happens when the RPM drops and I noticed it when I had it on cruise yeseterday, which is pretty constant RPM. It doesn't do it during accelleration or when I put the clutch in to slow or change gears. It is really annoying.

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
I have that sound too. I know what you're talking about. Mine also comes in with acceleration. I can hear it when I'm accelerating on the highway quite well.

(Bear with me on this one) When you shift, if you let out the clutch or hit the gas right (well, actually, it would be the wrong way to drive it, but), you can make the car jerk back and forth. Does the noise 'jerk' back and forth with the car?

Marcucci said that it might be slight detonation. Have you changed your plugs, wires, cap and rotor lately? Try that first. I'm doing mine this weekend.

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
back up again.

Waiting for Marcucci (or Billy even?) to see it..

Is this the noise you described to me as detonation?

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Is the noise speed dependant? Or is it RPM dependant? What RPM range is it in?

I have a strange resonation on my Prelude in any gear between 2700 and 3200 RPM. It is especially noticable when the revs drop down to that RPM range. It is also most noticable in 2nd and 3rd gear, since road noise is minimal at those speeds.

Last time I had it to the dealer, I told them about it. They looked at it and said it was because part of my security system is attached to a brace that holds that wierd cylindrical dampener behind the front bumper. They said it was that piece I had added vibrating at the particular RPM. When they told me this, I agreed that that was probably it, because I had never noticed that noise until shortly after my alarm was installed...

Andrew

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aklucsarits:
...I have a strange resonation on my Prelude in any gear between 2700 and 3200 RPM. It is especially noticable when the revs drop down to that RPM range. ...</font>
Bingo. That's kinda how mine is. But it's noticable when accelerating or decelerating.

-e-

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

www.thatchland.com

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
THATPRELUDEGUY said:
Does it only make the sound as the RPM's drop? Also does it sound like a rattling? I have a similar noise and most people seem to think ti's the timing belt auto tensioner which seems to be a common problem with our cars. If you pop the hood you can try and listen for it but hitting the gas a little bit and seeing if the noise is coming from the timing belt area. Give that a shot and let us know.
Thats exactly what the noise is!!!! I took it into the dealership and there is no more noise now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts