Honda Prelude Online banner

Weight Reduction

11K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  VTAK_POPPIN 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I was suppose to goto the track yesterday, but two people didn't show up for work so I had to stay.

I did totally strip my trunk of the jack tools and spare the side panels the floor cardboard. back seats, seat belts.. All papers, trash, coin holder, cup holder mat. passenger seat.

Now.. was that a good idea had I gone to the track or should I have weight in there. I don't really want the rear seats back in there, but I can definately fell the lack of weight there. LOL!

Could I add weight to the sides of the trunk to help this? Should I run on the track like this? If I were to keep my car like this where should I put weights to balance the back end and how much weight. :D

#4 ·
For drag racing I would think the less weight the better, cuz the engine is still there and that's what's keeping the weight on the front for the better traction. If you are talking about autox or something then, for the most part, the closer to a 50/50 weight distribution the better, but of course to do that in your car you would basically just have to add a ton of weight to the back which would end up slowing you down even though you might handle better. Some people shift the battery to the back to help with the distribution. For the most part I'd usually just go for less weight... our cars are never going to have the great distribution, but lighter will usually be faster.

#5 · (Edited)
Well i put my interior back in. surprisingly taking like 300 pounds out is really simple. Took less then 15 minutes to put in and out.

Its pretty rough driving with nothing in the car. Not a rough ride, but the back end seems to swing. I don't have like strut bars or anything and I don't want to bend the chassi or something. I put it all back. :D

I mean I was wondering If I took all that out and placed two weights in my truck behind the rear wheels that equaled the amount taking out of the center.. would it be better? Maybe a bit more on the right rear side to make up for my weight and the passenger seat weight, This would be for autox to distribute the weight more evenly.

Post your thoughts. :bigthumb:

#7 ·
take a look at the autocross folks
i'm sure they set up their cars nicely

like Tom_Collins said...most of them probably move their battery to the rear

remove as much weight as you can from the front of the car
cruise control
a/c unit
power steering

remember, we have about a 67/33 weight distribution....which is terrible!!!
understeer...understeer!!!

#8 · (Edited)
my trunk. I took out the floor cardboard, spare, jack, tools, side panels, the black piece on the back of the trunk. Rear seats. okay.. maybe 100+ pounds :eek:

next mod. battery rellocation. :D

#9 ·
you can take out all that stuff in the rear...leave the passenger seat in...put the battery in the back and i think thats it....
i know someone on here...white lude w/ C5's has his interior gutted...just the rear tho and it doesnt look that bad....im probally gonna do that when i go turbo(roll cage ;) )

oh yea Bob...ive been tryin to PM you but ur box is full..im going to try right now so ummm you got PM...i hope lol

#10 ·
yeah if your going to go to the track lighter is better. I don't thin that taking out that stuff will make you handle worse I follow your thoughts... stay with me here you took weight out and now the spings have less to manage basiclly they have less weight for their rate. Right ? Isn' that the same as leaving the weight in and putting a stiffer spring to achieve the same rate? yes ! So I would take the weight out and enjoy the oversteer the you are very slightly creating.

I moved the battery in my car to in front of the passenger rear wheel wedged between the seat and the side of the car. I am wonderng what that did to my corner weight.

CUP MAT!!! ( did you take out that 10lbs lump of metal out that sits right behind the radiator yet ??) cup mat..... well I am going to have to take mine out to next time don't want to get lapped !!!

cup mat!!! Did you empty the glove box

#13 · (Edited)
hahaha! mugen lemme look in my box.. LOL aim me sometime.

wow. been a member for awhile. had 74 messages in my box.. that I never deleted. and i have it on show like last 2 days. LOL! I deleted them all. woo.. talking about weight reduction.. :D

yea i emptied the glove box. where is this cup mat? I looked and I don't want to take out the wrong thing. anyone have a pic?

#20 ·
Well I am new to the site but a couple of things I do know is how the get the weight down on the preludes. My 4th gen weighs in at 2280. You have to ask yourself a few questions.

Do I want this thing to ride all plush or be fast?
I've removed my anti-roll/sway-bar off front and rear = 15 to 20 lbs
Engine skid plate and miscellaneous under armor = 10 to 15 lbs
Took front and rear bumper reinforcements out = 50 to 60 lbs

Another thing is weight transfer. When you launch the back end goes down and the front end comes up, much like a rear wheel drive. Less weight there is in the ass end the harder it is to compress the rear springs THIS IS A GOOD THING.

Not to brag but my setup has been proven, 13.95 @ 98mph in the 1/4 mile on 205-45-17 street tires.

#18 ·
I have been looking for an industry standard model to explain the benefits of reducing the weight of a vehicle on fuel economy.Moving weight around can be just as important as removing it. Blackthirty, have you had a CF hatch. Your forum here appears to be the best source I have found. Do you know of any official / standard models I can use.. People tend rip out a bunch of weight from the back of the car, but do nothing to the front. That can mess with the balance of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.