Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys:

I am a new owner of a 5th gen prelude. With my 93 integra it was very easy to decide what parts needed to be replaced. (They all did)

Well I heard that the 5th gen prelude's header is just as good as any aftermarket header. (Kinda like upgrading Type-R stuff.)

What are some of the areas where the prelude can be improved, suspension, engine, etc.

Thanks for the advice :D :confused:

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
the header does flow ok from the factory but theres always room for improvement....if you want to replace the header there's 3 popular options: in order of the most power(i think lol)
Greddy(fits 4th gen fine, modify it to fit 5th gen)
Mugen
SMSP

the stock cat is a real bottleneck...get at least a 2.25" ID(inner diameter) high flow cat or test pipe...i say go with 2.5"
and you can do a custom piping job with a custom muffler in 2.5" from the cat back or you can go with an aftermarket cat-back...your call

the h22 flows quite well, hence little gains from minor bolt-ons
so i would get:

Intake
Header
High Flow Cat or Test Pipe
Cat-Back Exhaust

Suspension:
from the factory...theyre quite capable, again room for improvement :)

popular choice for the 5th gen in shocks and springs:
H&R Race Springs
Koni Yellows
Coilovers:
Ground Control's
TEIN SS
(do a search..theres TONS of info on this stuff)

they can also go on a diet but thats up to your discretion whether or not you want to remove things from your interior

·
6,152 Posts
oh....since your title is weak parts...i say the weakest is the auto-tensioner(keeps tension on the t-belt)
theyre known to fail so if you hear what sounds like a penny rattling around in a empty plastic gallon of water than check it out

other than that the prelude is a great car
oh and the shock knock :mad: no biggie but it gets annoying :laugh:

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
  1. This gets moved the to the 5th Gen forum
  2. That part about you having 3 choices for a header, is false. There's more than 3. I will be posting a new thread with pictures of every header I've had in my possession sometime in the future along with comments.
    [/list=1]

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
He did say 3 popular choices, not total choices.

There are literally a dozen different headers that fit or can be modified to fit a Prelude. Some are complete crap (Megan) and some are awesome (Mugen).

BTW, has anyone EVER seen an old Spoon header? I just wonder what kind of gains it had with the Type S downpipe. Do they still make them for the Euro R?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
:D Damn, you're sharp! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
219 Posts
That would kick ASS!!!!

Joon525 said:
  1. This gets moved the to the 5th Gen forum
  2. That part about you having 3 choices for a header, is false. There's more than 3. I will be posting a new thread with pictures of every header I've had in my possession sometime in the future along with comments.
    [/list=1]

·
Registered
210 Posts
Autotensioner, blown ringlands with F/I, and the damn FRM sleeves that make us have to re-sleeve the block before we can put in forged pistons :mad:

Almost makes me wish I would have gotten an LS. Could be running 12+ psi daily driven with stock internals :(

Otherwise I love the lude, just wish they were more compatible with boost.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
5th gen synchroes suck, and 5th/reverse shift fork gets or comes bent.

Armature post coming out of the a/c compressor gets sheared off and the clutch /pulley falls off.

Headlights don't have the greatest output.

center console cupholder is a poor design.

The aftermarket forgot about the prelude.

ODBII that cannot be reprogrammed.

headroom is tight.

seat-side bolstering is minimal.

did I mention the transmission!

·
6,152 Posts
5th gen synchroes suck, and 5th/reverse shift fork gets or comes bent.

TRUE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH MINE THO

Armature post coming out of the a/c compressor gets sheared off and the clutch /pulley falls off.

NEVER HEARD OF THAT :confused: :twitch:

THEYRE HALOGENS...what do you expect :laugh:

center console cupholder is a poor design.

TRUE STORY

The aftermarket forgot about the prelude.

NOT REALLY

ODBII that cannot be reprogrammed.

TRUE STORY

headroom is tight.

AINT THAT THE TRUTH :(

seat-side bolstering is minimal.

PRETTY GOOD FOR ME...BUT THEN AGAIN I DONT AUTO-X OR ROAD RACE

did I mention the transmission!

YES YOU DID ACTUALLY :p

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
MugenPoweredLude said:

NEVER HEARD OF THAT :confused: :twitch:
True. It happens on 4th gen too, but I don't think it's wide-spread or anything.

THEYRE HALOGENS...what do you expect :laugh:
Yeah. but other halogens do great.

I should mention that I LOVE this car.:D

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Chrome on interior trim is peeling off, the CD player stalls when its cold (Sacramento Valley cold, under 50F), and I'm going in soon for my second autotensioner.

Sparco Tornions helped with the headroom problem and side bolsters, Sparco wheel with an extension helped in reaching with steering and giving more leg room for downshifting. Hawk pads and Motul fluid helped with brakes. Could use a rear sway bar.

·
USAF
1,519 Posts
Honestly, the Prelude really doesn't need any modification. If I were a little older and wiser I'm sure mine would be bone stock, but I'm not so I modify things that really don't need to be changed. The autotensioner may give you problems someday, but more than likely you will be due for a timing belt change before it becomes a problem. My transmission is fantastic, it synchronizes easily and the shifts are fast and smooth. With a stiffer aftermarket clutch it starts to feel like a sports car. Handling is great, the suspension squeeking people are talking about has occured in every vehicle I have ever owned so I'm not going to complain. The one thing I will recommend is to replace the cam seal, it is relatively easy to do and is cheap. That's where most of the oil stains on the side of the block/transmission originate and is the leading cause of oil consumption on VTEC Hondas. Also, if you feel like getting some more performace you should get some form of a VTEC controller. Unlike Integras, Preludes have an improperly set VTEC crossover. It should be around 4,700-4,800 rpms when in fact it is much higher than that. You should notice a strong kick when VTEC engages, with a VTEC controller that kick will disappear and acceleration will be smoother. It helps a lot on the 1-2 gear change!

·
Registered
288 Posts
i would say, with a 5-speed, the clutch is the weakest point on the prelude......if you read around a bit you'll see how many peeps have broken springs on the clutch plate, mine fell apart and i don't even drive my clutch hard at all. very expensive labor to replace...type sh is worse for labor on clutch or any tranny problems overall. on the other hand....the best part of the car is it has a very capable chassis; very stiff, it has a decent motor and suspension even stock, and the car is still one of the best looking vehicles (and more rare hondas) on the road!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts