Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Go to autogeek.com and look at their "how-to" section. You'll find a method to do pretty much any detailing to your car.

A quick synopsis of what it's going to tell you:

1.Wash your car
2.Clay-Bar your car
3.Use a sealant on your car (sealant is different from wax, but must go on first)
4.Use a carnuba based wax

Then you'll have incredible results. If your paint has swirl and scratch marks, it might tell you to use a polishing compound before you clay-bar your car.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
^That.

However, depending on the color of your car and the sealant you use, you don't really have to use wax on top of it. A sealant protects the paint and beads water, a wax on top of it is really only there to add depth.

Also, if you have swirl marks, don't bother trying to remove them by hand. You will need at least a DA polisher buff them out. I learned that the hard way when I spent over an hour trying to remove swirl marks from one fender, and they were still there. I eventually bought a polisher, and it even with that, it took some time.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
^That too:laugh:

Right, I know that if you seal it, technically, you don't have to put wax on it, but I figured if you're going to go through all of that trouble anyway...

I'm going to commit the ultimate sin and go to Harbor Frieght to get a DA Polisher because I'm really not into spending giant amounts of money on a tool that I won't be using more than once a couple months. $50>$250 anyday.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I'm going to commit the ultimate sin and go to Harbor Frieght to get a DA Polisher because I'm really not into spending giant amounts of money on a tool that I won't be using more than once a couple months. $50>$250 anyday.
You will regret that.

I bought the griot's garage polisher (porter cable clone with more powerful motor and a lifetime warranty) for about $130 and I'm very happy with it. Autogeek is having a sale this weekend too, so you could get a discount on the foam pads to go with it (they aren't cheap).

I would much rather pay $130 and get a tool that works than spend $50 on one that doesn't. I've been burned by cheap crap too many times, I'm done with it. I've already learned that cheap crap costs more in the long run.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Considering it says Polish in its name.. its a Polish :)

You have your buffing compounds, then polish which gives a keep shine (like shoe Polish on a shoe), and then the waxes which provide a protective coat that makes the Polish last longer.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks.

How do I apply the stuff I have? Do I have to get a rotary tool? Or can I do by hand. If I need a tool, what kind of pad do I use? If I don't, what? the procces?

And thanks for all the help. Just want my lude turning heads.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
If you really want to get into detailing, it would really be to your benefit to check out the autogeek forum. I could probably answer your questions...but there is so much more you can learn by reading the articles there, many of them written by pro detailers. That's how I learned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts