Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
B cuz I got it like that.
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I did a search here.. and tried reserecting an old thread about Water Wetter but no one replied... so I got to ask here.. all fresh and new thread:

A few people have posted that the product Water Wetter turns acidic after awhile and that you need to change all the coolant.

I just want to know is it a normal intervals... like.. 45k?
or is it more often than that?

Also how much of this stuff should I put in?

Should I go by what the bottle says and put in 1 oz. per quart of coolant?

I am in humid South Carolina.. and our summers are dead air heat... you roast.

Thanks in advance.

·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Product by Redline, its a coolant additive that supposedly could drop your temperatures down about 20 Degrees.. depending on the mix. It looks like fruit punch.. and its about $7.00.

Water Wetter Super Coolant

·
Registered
818 Posts
um i use that redline water wetter. i jus put the entire bottle in wen i flushed my radiator. i also heard from my shop teacher that it turns acidic. if u change it at regular intervals then it should be fine -=shrugs=-
oh and i jus used distilled water with a bottle of that water wetter

·
Registered
777 Posts
just a question, how could it turn water acidic, either it is when you put it in or not, maybe a reation with oil? heat? metal? if you wanna know, take a ph strip out and test the radiator fluid, and there is your answer.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
ZRoEXzisTeNcE said:
um i use that redline water wetter. i jus put the entire bottle in wen i flushed my radiator. i also heard from my shop teacher that it turns acidic. if u change it at regular intervals then it should be fine -=shrugs=-
oh and i jus used distilled water with a bottle of that water wetter
Why would you do that? No radiator fluid at all? I know so-cal is pretty warm, but if it ever has a cold night you might be asking for a cracked radiator/block.

·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess what I am really asking is .. do you have to have the coolant changed more frequently.. instead of the average 45k change interval.

:confused:

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
concLude said:
just a question, how could it turn water acidic, either it is when you put it in or not, maybe a reation with oil? heat? metal? if you wanna know, take a ph strip out and test the radiator fluid, and there is your answer.
coolant in no way contacts oil in your engine, if it does, bad stuff. Anyways heat may break down the molecules and it can turn into something else later on as it deteriorates maybe something acidic or corrosive. pH strip might not be that helpful, a strong acid might not corrode a certain material. pH test cant tell how bad it will react with your engine components

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
PreludePowerR said:

coolant in no way contacts oil in your engine, if it does, bad stuff. Anyways heat may break down the molecules and it can turn into something else later on as it deteriorates maybe something acidic or corrosive. pH strip might not be that helpful, a strong acid might not corrode a certain material. pH test cant tell how bad it will react with your engine components
What? Did I miss the boat? Coolant runs though your entire block.. IF it did become acidic it could possibly eat though your cylinder liners and cause buildup within the head and radiator. Though I truly doubt this statement. I've known people who have ran this for years and never had a problem with their cooling system.

·
Registered
960 Posts
to be safe I would flush system every 2 yrs, that way you can know that it is all good. I dont know about this stuff, but I thought
that you were supposed to not use any coolant at all? Thats the point right, it has lubrication propertys for the water pump and such?

I do know that reg coolant will turn acidic over time, around 5yrs.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
irishpilot said:
I thought
that you were supposed to not use any coolant at all? Thats the point right, it has lubrication propertys for the water pump and such?
Water wetter does nothing for the lubrication properies but that's not the reason for the coolant. Water wetter is designed to be used with radiator fluid and deionized water to increase the boiling temp. The anti-freeze is in there to reduce the freezing temp. I'd go back and drain a little bit out and put at least a quart of anti-freeze in there. Generally I do a 30 anti-freeze 70 water mix and throw in a bottle of water wetter if I remembered. This gives good freezing/boiling properties. But if you have pure water and some water wetter in there once it hits 32F / 0 C and that water freezes you're asking for a cracked block and radiator.

·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am so 4uckin confused now... can someone just answer my questions about this stuff...

Honda did my radiator fluid change... what % water/coolant... or even if they used Disstilled water... I do not know.

Based on that knowledge....

can anyone just tell me how much you would recommend putting in? The bottle recommends 1 oz to 1 qt. so i assume its roughly 3 oz. of Watter Wetter.

And also... what interval do I change out the fluid now.. since it would have water wetter added to it? At the same 45 K or even shorter time period.

:rolleyes:

sorry if I seem pissed.. but almost all of the replies.. went... in total different directions from my thread.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
I don't see how we strayed from your topic since we said that Water Wetter turning acidic is not probable at all... But I'll answer your questions specifically if you can't decipher an answer from them.

Honda did the change, that means it's 50% anti-freeze and 50% deionized water. It comes pre-mixed.

The Prelude has a total coolant capacity of 3.4 quarts (base manual has 3.5 quarts) so base your measurements upon that. However, I think most of the people here just dump one bottle at a time and have never had a problem.

Unless you believe in the water wetter being acidic stick to the standard 45k or 2 years.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I asked Redline about this, and this is what they said:

"If you are using a 50% concentration of antifreeze, I would recommend changing it at the manufacturers interval.

The antifreeze in the cooling system can turn acidic from oxidation of the glycol."

·
Registered
818 Posts
TimeRacer said:

Why would you do that? No radiator fluid at all? I know so-cal is pretty warm, but if it ever has a cold night you might be asking for a cracked radiator/block.
Well that's the thing. It never gets that cold here. I used a bottle of water wetter with 100% distilled water all through out winter and I never had a problem :)

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
ZRoEXzisTeNcE said:

Well that's the thing. It never gets that cold here. I used a bottle of water wetter with 100% distilled water all through out winter and I never had a problem :)
But I HAS been that cold on a rare occasion. I know, I was there. :D Keep in mind that so-cal is basically desert so there are a few areas that can get that cold real quick. I'd still run some anti-freeze just for peace of mind knowing that I'd have to worry about -50F compared to 32F to crack my block.

·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you very much!
:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts