Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be changing and adjusting my timing belts this week..
gotta do it cause the rattling sound ****..
newya..

but i don't have warrannty on my car so

can we work on the stock water pump?
can something be done for it to work more efficeintly?
i know some of u have already studied that..
billy?

ok tanx guys..

·
Registered
188 Posts
i have heard of 300ZX guys going through and smoothing out their water pump and also the lines throughout the block for better cooling, but that has something to do with the rear cylinders in that block having poor cooling. but i imagine the smoothing of the water pump would work for any car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JinMTVT:
I will be changing and adjusting my timing belts this week..
gotta do it cause the rattling sound ****..
B]</font>

Are you doing the work yourself? Just wondering because I have the same rattling problem and wondering now if I should try it myself. The dealers charging me ~$800 for the job. Since I'm going to get new pistons and cams/retainers/springs I was thinking of doing all the work at once.

I dunno.

G

·
Depends on what you are going to use the car for. If you plan on road racing it a lot, clipping the vanes is a good idea. You see, the problem is that the pump will cavitate at high rpms, which reduces the efficiency of the pump. By clipping the vanes, you effectively lower the flow of the pump. This is fine in upper RPM ranges because the pump is spinning so quickly. However, idle might (I emphasize MIGHT) be a problem. If the pump doesn't flow enough water, you could have a cooling problem.

Again, I stress that it depends on application. If you look at a race car, they don't even have radiator fans. There is no use for them because race cars don't sit in traffic.

Another idea would be to port and smooth the passages in the pump to improve flow and cut down on cavitation.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Depends on what you are going to use the car for. If you plan on road racing it a lot, clipping the vanes is a good idea. You see, the problem is that
the pump will cavitate at high rpms, which reduces the efficiency of the pump. By clipping the vanes, you effectively lower the flow of the pump. This
is fine in upper RPM ranges because the pump is spinning so quickly. However, idle might (I emphasize MIGHT) be a problem. If the pump doesn't flow
enough water, you could have a cooling problem.

Again, I stress that it depends on application. If you look at a race car, they don't even have radiator fans. There is no use for them because race
cars don't sit in traffic.

Another idea would be to port and smooth the passages in the pump to improve flow and cut down on cavitation.</font>
that's what i was looking forward to do..
cliping the vanes is ok to some extent..

i plant to do some raod racing and a lot of autocrossing..
the car is still my summer street car so..
i can't afford to have problems at lower rpm...

maybe i'll just smooth it all out..
then clip 1/3 to 1/2 off 1/2 of the vanes..
that should help on high rpm and still maintain functionability on low rpm..

what do u think?

G

·
Might work okay, I am not sure. I haven't ever run a car with a modified water pump.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to check out a honda pump today..
from older preludes..

i'm afraid that if i don't remove exactly same weight everywere on the vans it'll be debalanced and run false..

i have to talk to somebody that already done that.

of course would be less of worry if i only remove stuff on half of the vanes..

neway..gotta check that out ;p

+ i gotta fugure out the noise from the belt(s) and /or binder(s) ;p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts