Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was merging into the freeway today when i hit VTEC...anyways...I don't often use VTEC at all in my daily driving...Is this bad?? Should you use it once in a while like how you're suppose to use the air conditioner once a month? hehehe..

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Be careful when you hit VTEC - suddenly accelerating that hard can rip off that VTEC sticker on your trunk, and you'll immediately lose power!

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey...this thread shouldn't be locked..it's a relevant question. I mean..if you use VTEC hard everyday...would it damage your engine? if you didn't use VTEC and never engaged it.. would that also damage your engine if you decide to use it?? hahaha...seriously.. I mean it...uhh..how come no one believes me?

--Sam

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
i VTEC all the time... first, second, third and even fourth when i'm on the freeway... it's there for a reason.

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malken00:
I like to rub my nipples while watching the shopping channel </font>

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
this is a legit question. I only vtec a couple times a week and wonder if this is healthy for the car. I also drive in SS mode once a week too.

------------------

Pearl White
00'SS

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
I VTEC the living daylights out of mine. Several times a day.

No problems thus far... 12k miles on the odo too!

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

M

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o0OO0o:
i VTEC all the time... first, second, third and even fourth when i'm on the freeway... it's there for a reason.

</font>

Comeon! VTEC in 5th is soooo much more fun than those gears!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
this is a totally reasonable question and i dont think u guys shoulda responded like u would to the usual "whats the best exhaust that sounds good and makes my car faster".

anyways, i think its pretty well established that vtecing "more" than usual will wear down the car a bit faster. its just common sense to have more wear over more rpms at a more extreme rate.

but as for NOT vtecing often, i dont think anything bad can happen at all. im thinking more logically then technically here since im no certified mechanic.

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
PERFORMANCE MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -UR pulleys SS (3 piece)
-Apexi V-AFC -Autometer A/F gauge -Autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit *no more performance mods will be added*
NON-PERFORMANCE:
-Panasonic CQ-DF800U
screen name: CBFORMULA

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I'm with you Sam, i rarely ever use it that much, When i'm out vtec-ing all day and night (first time i got the car), i averaged oh 20mpg, now i get closer to 24-25 city driving and 28 highway with my crummy o2 sensor.

i just have no need for that kind of acceleration unless i'm getting somewhere in a hurry. If i used that in first i'd rear end everyone in front of me that drives "normally" etc...

·
Registered
810 Posts
ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

The answer to this question is so obvious, it's retarded. OBVIOUSLY the more you run a motor at higher rpms, the more damage you're going to do. If you drive like a grandma, your motor is going to last way longer, then if you drive like a VTEC-addicted maniac. Grandma has less fun, the maniac has more - you decide which one you are

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LudesLudesLudes:

If you drive like a grandma, your motor is going to last way longer, then if you drive like a VTEC-addicted maniac.
</font>
I used to drive like a vtec maniac.. then i got three tickets. The first one didn't sink in..neither the 2nd one...then the 3rd one hit me. So..now i drive like a grandma.. but today..when i was on the freeway..i felt like a vtec maniac again..hahahaha..

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
I don't believe in Titles
3,078 Posts
The answer is you should use it ever once in awhile - once a week is enough. The whole idea behind it is the same reason you don't just a let it sit in a garage unless you properly set it up for the winter - gets the juices going etc... It's all about lubrication baby! Now as for your car problem...

·
11,003 Posts
since you don't VTEC much, how bout we trade motors???
you won't be needing it anyway.

put it this way, driving like a grandma will extend the engine life considerably. if you're planning to break the record of most miles w/o an engine rebuild, go for it. i would say about 500k miles would be the goal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts