1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought this was interesting...

A manual version of VTEC:

---------------------------------
Louis Renault devised a means of pumping mixture into the cylinders under pressure, and in 1902 he patented his pump which quickly became known as the supercharger. Although his first engines used belt and shaft driven superchargers, he quickly realised the advantages of exhaust gas-driven superchargers. A few years later he patented this device which subsequently became known as a turbocharger

1906, when Renault won the world's first Grand Prix, he was producing strange engines which had two cams side by side for each valve. The camshaft had two grooves near the end into which was inserted a locating fork. ***The idea behind this was that one of the cams produced a wild racing type valve timing, whilst the other produced tame, cruising type timing***. The driver could then convert his engine from a racing to a road type by simply removing the locating fork and moving the camshaft along until the fork could be replaced in the other groove.

Because of the problems with valve springs, racing car engines were built with higher camshafts, and hence shorter pushrods; which being less likely to buckle, could be made more slender and of course lighter. Eventually, in 1908, overhead camshafts appeared as a means of reducing the reciprocating masses of the valvegear.

In order to reduce the load on the valve springs, Peugeot decided to use (a) two camshafts, thus eliminating the use of rockers, and (b) multi-valves for both inlet and exhaust. This philosophy culminated in their 1908 engine which had twin overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder, crossflow head with hemispherical combustion chambers.
---------------------------------

------------------
Chris
Premium White '99 base model Prelude

· AEM Cold Air Intake
· Type S shiftknob
· ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate - Street/Strip Disc
· Fidanza Flywheel
· Neuspeed Front Strut Tower Brace
· AEM Tru Power Pulleys

Stereo:
· Sony CDX-M750
· Precision Power PC4400.2 powering:
· Infinity Kappa 60.2cs 6.5" Components.
· Precision Power PC1400.2 powering:
· Single Image Dynamics IDQ 12 in a custom sealed box.

[email protected]

FOR SALE

·
Registered
800 Posts
Perhaps the start of a variable valve timing system but not very sophisticated. It sounds to me as if you had to stop the engine to change what cam it followed. It's pretty amazing what some people think of though.

Anyhow vairable valve timing was not invented by Honda (even though most people seem to think so). If I recall correctly Ford was one of the first to experiment with the idea in the 60's and 70's.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Registered
188 Posts
variable valve timing has been around for years. ford started using it about 50 years ago but never found much use for it so they never continued it. since then i think just about every manufacturer has had a version of it. honda seems to be the only one, until lately, that really used it openly though.

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
I seem to remember (not that it's correct) Ford using vacuum pressure activated variable valve timing, and it never worked quite right. So the idea didn't go to far. But yeah, it was back in the mid 60's from what I know.

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Huh?

BMW has been using their double-VANOS for quite some time, and Lotus' almost miraculous variable valve timing (trust me, it blows VTEC, VANOS, i-VTEC and VVTLi out of the water) has been in almost every one of their cars since the '80s.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Merlin1xx1:
variable valve timing has been around for years. ford started using it about 50 years ago but never found much use for it so they never continued it. since then i think just about every manufacturer has had a version of it. honda seems to be the only one, until lately, that really used it openly though.</font>

·
Registered
188 Posts
yeah, as of recent. sorry man, in the car industry, or any industry for that matter that takes a while for something to be perfected(or even have the bugs worked out of it) 20 years isn't all that much. heck, automatic transmissions have been around for a long time, but they still aren't perfected, they're much better which is why they are so widely used now (at least in this country) but they're not an art yet. same thing with variable valve timing, been around for a long time, hasn't ever gotten that big. heck its still not that big...you know what i'm saying...

·
Registered
28 Posts
The way I see it, Honda didn't invent it, but it DID bring it to the masses.

It's great to invent technology, but that isn't sufficient. You have to make it useful.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
But you have to remember, Honda likes to refine everything.

------------------
00 Black Lude
Full Gold Trim Kit,including exhaust tips
Gold tint

1 - 8 of 8 Posts