Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
artificially sweet
951 Posts
Been using it at home for a year, no complaints. I have packet 8, but I also just ordered vonage yesterday to try out for a month.

·
I don't believe in Titles
3,078 Posts
Occassionally I get echo's with Vonage - mind you I was starting to get that with regular service since even the TelCo's transmit much of their voice traffic over data lines.

But much cheaper with free options that the TelCo's charge an arm and a leg for.

·
Official *snow* Hater
751 Posts
Packet 8 here as well. It works great. Only time it really has problems is when I'm on BT and I'm maxing my upload.

·
12,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^ yea, that was a concern too. My current DSL is pretty crappy.. but i was going to switch over to cable anyways.

Shoot Joon.. u just reminded me that i need a phone line for my alarm system. Wonder if there's a reliable way around it... :(

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
OvaDaLimiT said:
Shoot Joon.. u just reminded me that i need a phone line for my alarm system. Wonder if there's a reliable way around it... :(
A lot of alarm monitoring companies will offer the capability to have your alarm monitored by a device that's not land-line based (i.e., like a cell phone). Of course, that extra expense wipes out any cost savings that you may have had by using VoIP vs regular phone.

·
6MT RWD
920 Posts
One of the main things that scares me is that 911 response time isn't going to be as fast through cell phones.

Also if you dial 911, and say you really are in trouble and the connection drops... at least the operater can dial back.

·
www.desispeed.com
722 Posts
i've had vonage in use for the past few months, service has been reliable for the most part, definetly worth the cost savings over regular telcos. I run it over comcast cable(6mpbs) which has been very reliable, voip technology has come along way since I used netmeeting 10 years ago. Skype is awesome

1 - 18 of 18 Posts