Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know - another one of these threads.

So here's the page for my motherboard that lists compatible video cards: www.asrock.com/support/AGI8X_LIST/p4i65gv.htm

And it seems, well, pretty limited . . . and seems to be missing lots of cards that would fall between the ones that are listed . . . Should I follow this list religiously, or will a newer/different AGP card than what's on there work fine?

I'm pissed that it specifically says ATI 9600 cards won't work . . . there's a killer deal for one on newegg.com - like $66 for a 256mb one.

Some quick guidelines - I don't want to spend more than $100, and the most graphics intensive game I'd ever play would be Civ IV.

·
SuperMod
7,962 Posts
Is Civ4 graphic intensive? Do you plan on doing a lot of editing? A lot of applications on screen?

If the answer to all of the above is no, and you wanted to spend the bare minimum for a quality card, I'd get the ATI 7500. I've had one for about 6 years and it still works. Good for playing DVDs too. :)

Otherwise, I'd get the ATI 9500 (which I also have). It's pretty decent and benchmark performance wasn't too far off from the 9700 if you got one that was softmoddable.

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
just because its not in that list doesnt mean it wont work, just only means you can call them for tech support if you have those cards

5700 256MB is a waste, that card has no where near the power to fully use 256 MB video ram. the 9600XT is actually faster than the 5700, only the 5700 ultra is basically just as fast as the 9600XT, go get the 9600XT

see benchmarks of 9600xt vs 5700 here
http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/12/29/vga_charts_iii/index.html

if you can find a 9800 pro for under your budget of 100, try to get thats a good deal faster than the 9600XT

256mb on these level of cards mean little so dont factor it in too much, 128 is good enough, these cards will never have the power to run push high demand graphics to even fill up 256 MB worth of video ram

edit, maybe youre in luck:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814153018R

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PreludePowerR said:
just because its not in that list doesnt mean it wont work, just only means you can call them for tech support if you have those cards
So if it doesn't work, consider yourself on the business end of a sternly worded letter . . . . :laugh:

5700 256MB is a waste, that card has no where near the power to fully use 256 MB video ram. the 9600XT is actually faster than the 5700, only the 5700 ultra is basically just as fast as the 9600XT, go get the 9600XT

see benchmarks of 9600xt vs 5700 here
http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/12/29/vga_charts_iii/index.html
Cool - thanks for the info. What's the difference between all the alphanumeric suffix's? LE, XT, GT, PRO, SE, XL, etc. . . I can't seem to find any performance pattern.

if you can find a 9800 pro for under your budget of 100, try to get thats a good deal faster than the 9600XT
------------
edit, maybe youre in luck:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814153018R
Refurbished = skeery . . . :nervous:

Plus reading reviews of new Jetway 9800pro's . . . they don't look so good. There's a "Powercolor" 128 meg version that seems more reliable & only $120 - but out of stock.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pter said:
Is Civ4 graphic intensive? Do you plan on doing a lot of editing? A lot of applications on screen?
It's a lot more graphics intensive than previous versions - the hardware recommendations are strange, though:
. . . [minimum of] a 32MB video card with hardware transform and lighting capabilities. The recommended Specifications are: . . . a recent graphics card (like the Radeon 9800).
Seems like a pretty big gap between a generic 32mb card & a freaking 9800 . . .

I don't do any video or photo editing - other than some small-time stuff (i.e. merging pr0n). I'll usually have 3-5 apps running at once - browser w/ 3 or 4 tabs, bittorrent, winamp, etc.

Otherwise, I'd get the ATI 9500 (which I also have). It's pretty decent and benchmark performance wasn't too far off from the 9700 if you got one that was softmoddable.
How come newegg doesn't offer a single 9700 card? :annoyed:

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anubyss said:
I would follow the list just to be sure even though other models should work. The nvidia 5700 256mb should work fine and be less than $100. Check out zipzoomfly.com or ebay.com for pricing on a 5700.
I've actually got a gift certificate for newegg . . . so I'm probably gonna stick to what I can get from there. But the 5700 seems to be popular, I'll keep it on the short list.

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
For ATI cards

SE - lowest performance
Pro
XL
XT - highest performance

For nVidia cards
LE - lowest performance
GS
GT
GTX - highest performance

I could be wrong about the nVidia cards, but I am pretty sure that is the lineup.

·
SuperMod
7,962 Posts
I thought all the 5x00 series were crappy.
They sucked even compared to the Ti4x00 series.

If you're stuck on nVidia, I'd go 6600 on up. Look at craiglist, you can find them for under $100.

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
like pter said, stay away from all 5000 series GF cards, all are really bad

6600GT is one fo the best buys of a video card but its over his 100 dollar budget

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still not sure on this. Although I think I want to stick with what's on the "support list" for my motherboard - despite how much it limits my options. Considering I don't play any crazy frame-rate games, anything newer would just be overkill, and not worth the potential compatibility hassles.

Out of what's on the list, it seems like the 6800XT is the best option out of everything available, and only a little bit outside my budget.

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
ive never once consulted a compatibility chart and I just picked whatever video card I wanted to put on the motherboard and never had compatibility issues

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just ordered a 128 mb 9800Pro - $115 shipped ($90 after my gc).

Hope it works . . . . :crossesfingers:

·
veteran sharkdiver
7,134 Posts
Daemione said:
Out of what's on the list, it seems like the 6800XT is the best option out of everything available, and only a little bit outside my budget.
I thought you wanted to spend much less than that. Since you have AGP, the BEST card to get now is the 6800GS. It's only $230 shipped and has the NV40 chip. Unlock 4 pipes and a vertex channel that are disabled and you essentially have a 6800GT, minus the gpu and memory speeds.

Edit: oh, I see you already ordered a card.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sharkcohen said:
AGP is an industry standard port, you don't have to go by a compatibility list.
That's what I thought - but when the compatability list specifically says that the 9600 won't work . . . . it makes one wonder.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sharkcohen said:
Nah, it just says not supported, not that it won't work.
That's true - I hadn't noticed the wording.

Anyway, I'll find out for sure on Thursday. Damn I love newegg & their kickass shipping.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts