Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just installed a flat black dual tip 2.5 in/out Vibrant Street Power Universal Exhaust with a Vibrant Resonator also 2.5 inch in/out last Friday. Custom 2.5 piping was installed from the cat back.

If you decide to go with a similar set-up, be sure you inspect your car on a lift before you drive away. You might encounter some binding issues with the right rear piping hitting one of the lower suspension arms if there is not enough clearance for it to travel up and down.

My first impression was wow. My lude sound really meaning. It does not sound raspy at all. I also did a dragstrip launch, holding at ~3200 rpm prior to takeoff. Sounded great expect for a popping sound that occurred during the up shift from 1st to 2nd. Otherwise, nice deep tones from 1st to 3rd gear; 4th gear the sound levels off slightly, but picks up again at 5th. Coasting in gear can be a little loud but I noticed with my set-up, very little droning/reduced noise levels if RPMs are kept below 3500 RPMs. (Kinda obvious huh)

Notable drop in low end torque from the ~2000 rpm range to ~3500 rpm. Upper torque range from to 4000 RPMs to VTEC feel slightly stronger. (I hope when I install a JRSC later this year that I get some of my torque back...)

Since the install, the exhaust note has not completely settled after putting 200 plus miles on this set-up. If you want to hear what is sounds like, check out YouTube and do a search for "Vibrant" and "Prelude."

Final thoughts, wow sounds good and very deep for a 4 banger. As for trying to save money with a universal muffler and resonator, can be a little more expensive with custom larger diameter piping. So do your research and be patient! The exhaust looks like the stock muffler on the lude. So if you want the sound of an exhaust without a chrome cop magnet hanging near your rear bumper, then this is the set up to get! If you want a "quieter" exhaust, you probably wont want this set-up. But you never know, maybe a better resonator or adding a Magnaflow 4 inch round universal muffler after the cat might be a slight more quieter setup.

·
SHOOPDAWHOOP
995 Posts
good review. nice to know it sounds good because I know they are very well constructed.

Vibrant is a definite sleeper in the after-market exhaust game. Top materials and welding. It also seems they do their research because both their headers and exhausts seem to post excellent gains. I know their header for the Prelude is one of the better ones available at a fraction of the cost of Mugen / SMSP units.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually for an exhaust that cost about $120 (resonator was an additional $60), I'm pretty impressed with what I got. I was planning on posting another review after a year or 10,000 miles to report any issues with droning or excessive noise.

FYI, I contacted the good folks at Vibrant and they answered all the questions I had about the exhaust. Pretty good customer service!

I hope to be posting pictures soon...I have to wash my car first :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts