Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gents,

first time poster and spanking new member, so before anything i wanna thank anyone for any info ahead of time.

here's my scenario and hoping someone can guide me...

i picked up a 1997 prelude and it came with 3 keys and zero fobs, 1 Grey key and 2 black keys that don't look original nor do they have the Honda symbol on them

they grey key turns the car on but cant open anything else (not the drivers door , not the trunk, nor the glove box)

the 2 black keys can open everything but cant turn the ignition at all.

that has led me to two possibilities:

1. the ignition has been replaced with a used unit that had that grey key mapped to it and that's why it can turn the car on but cant lock or unlock anything else

or

2. all the locks in the car have been replaced (doubt this)

reason i doubt cause the steering column cover or trim is broken so that led me to the ignition being replaced with a used one that came with the grey valet key.

here's my questions...does this mean the grey key is linked to the immobilizer? did the immobilizer get replaced with the ignition? or did it get re-coded?

can the valet key be used to program key fobs? or does it need the master key?

can the door locks be manually coded to match the grey key? (mechanically inclined so i can do it myself) just need to know if the valet can can serve as a master if coded into the door locks

can a dealer/lock smith detect my key code since its been changed from original (assuming the ignition and immobilizer were replaced) or just the ignition coded to the immobilizer?

I understand its a weird situation but trying to get back to 2 black keys 2 fobs and a valet key (call me OCD)

if i have confused anyone which i'm sure i have please ask any questions for more info

THANK YOU! in advance

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also suspect that the ignition has been replaced. I know the 5th gens had a recall on it.

Have you checked the Owner's Manual? Lots of info in there about keys that may help you to figure out what's happened. The red key package warns of other keys potentially not working after the red one is used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have similar issue and just posted about it. However I only have the grey key, which only starts the car. I do not have any keys to open the door. Not sure how I am going to get keys to open the door without changing the locks on the car.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but the gray key is the valet key. The valet key will only lock/unlock the doors and start the car. It is thicker then the black (regular) key(s) and will not fit into the trunk release lock, trunk, glove box, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts