Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know our ludes tach is a little off already, but im not sure if my V-afc vtec engagement control is operating correctly.

first of all, i set my cross over point at 4700 rpm. when im in any gear, i can feel my vtec hit at pretty much around 5200 rpm on my tach. but on my vafc, it does start at 4700 rpm caus i set one on my 4 readings to tell me when i hit vtec. so according to my tach, it hits at 5200. but according to my vafc readings, it hits at 4700.

do any of u guys experience this? is my tach suppose to be that off? i dunno if its my vafc's rev sensor being off from the tach, or if its somthing with my vtec cross over wiring, or whatever. please help me figure this out!

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
POWER OF THE SS BABY!
SS= Super Snail!!
There i go...
screen name: CBFORMULA

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lude2k:
sounds about right, a lot have said that the tach is off by ~500rpms</font>
but wait a min... if u really think about this and if all this is normal, that means our ludes really do engage vtec at around 4700 rpm instead of 5200 in stock. it would mean that all the stats that said vtec starts at 5200 have been wrong because they were based it visually on our tach. that doesnt sound too right to me

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ng Luder:
but wait a min... if u really think about this and if all this is normal, that means our ludes really do engage vtec at around 4700 rpm instead of 5200 in stock. it would mean that all the stats that said vtec starts at 5200 have been wrong because they were based it visually on our tach. that doesnt sound too right to me
</font>
No I'm pretty sure that it engages at 5200 rpm when stock. I know that I always though VTEC kicked in a little late on my car until I got my VAFC and saw how far off the tach was. As smoothludey said 500 rpm can be a little hard to distinguish on the stock tach. Hell most of the time I don't have the guts to look down at the gauges when I mash on the gas.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm... but it IS very easy to tell a 500 rpm difference. i mean look at our tachs, the space between each 1000th rpm is pretty big. i should feel it kick in BELOW the 5. but it doesnt till AFTER the 5. its pretty easy to distinguish the 500 rpm then... plus, im like 90% sure it kicks in at exactly 5200 according to my tach. which means even after my 4700 setting, it kicks in where it normally does as it if was stock and not changed at all. yet, my vafc still says its kicking in at 4700.
can anyone of u guys go try this out on ur vafcs? caus im kinda thinking maybe my vafc's tach reading is off? or my vtec engagement is screwed up (says its at 4700 but doesnt till 5200 still)

[This message has been edited by Ng Luder (edited April 28, 2001).]

·
Registered
857 Posts
Well, I also have my VTEC engagement set at 4700 but on the tach it looks like it engages at about 5000...I think that is because the needle on the factory tach is too fat, and not very accurate...but if it was a digital tach I am positive that it would read 4700...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm... well i just tested it out a few times again. this time i watched and listened super carefully. i did find that most of the time it kicks in at 5000. BUT still a few times i am sure it was a bit after 5000, like 5200.

i guess it is working alright..?

·
Registered
603 Posts
NG,

That's weird that say that because I was telling my boy the same thing the other day. It sounds like it kicks in @ 5100-5200 rpms. I set my vtec to engage @ 4900rpms. But the controller is right. My tach, and speedometer is a lil off itself. It may be because when I installed my indiglows last summer they may be a lil crooked. But If you ever get a chance set it at 6000 rpms then you'll really feel vtec kick in your back. The whole car will jump and sounds loud and deep (if you have an c/a/i.)

------------------
ONE LOVE
OOH

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SADWAP97:
i thought a vafc would smoothen out the vtec crossover point.. and that it will cause you not to be able to feel the vtec kick in?

</font>
That's dependent on your settings.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.