Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It worked exceptionally well. It really made a difference in the paint. It gave the car a smooth, clean surface to apply the Mothers 3 stage wax system. I would highly recommend it.

Just wanted to let you know.

------------------
1999 Honda Prelude Base 5-Speed. Crystal Blue Metallic.

"Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
It takes so damn long...and I think my clay's old because it doesn't seem to work very well anymore. I find Meguier's paint scrub works better and is easier to use (takes less time).

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com

·
Registered
951 Posts
Worked well for me, but I don't have the patience to do it more than about once a year.

------------------
_ ______________ _

Someone buy my wheels...
http://honda-acura.net/forum/Forum22/HTML/007775.html

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jmcn:
It takes so damn long...and I think my clay's old because it doesn't seem to work very well anymore. I find Meguier's paint scrub works better and is easier to use (takes less time).

</font>
it takes me about 30 mins to claybar my entire car, so for me, it's not a problem. of course, that's not counting washing it twice, drying & waxing.

------------------
Resist, and you'll be overcome

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
never tried the mothers yet but the meguiars clay bar kicks ass big time for me. feels like theres a layer of water after im done

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
POWER OF THE SS BABY!
SS= Super Snail!!
There i go...
screen name: CBFORMULA

·
Registered
129 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jmcn:

</font>
Takes too long? I guess I've had the opposite experiences. I found the Maguire's cleaner takes a lot more effort and more time. The clay bar cleans the surface of your car without actually removing any paint. So it's safer to use more often than most paint cleaners. It would probably be best to still use a good paint cleaner at least once a year to remove dead paint.

I used clay bar for the first time when I was desperate to remove over spray that had mysteriously appeared on my car. The clay bar was absolutely amazing! I was completely sold after that experience.

Hmm, I didn't know Maguire's made a clay bar. I'll have to look for that. I do like the Maguire's line of products.

BTW, JMCN: I think one clay bar is good for 1 or 2 entire car cleanings depending on how dirty your paint is. I would suggest giving it another try with a brand spanking new bar!
Also, if the bar sits around a lot and dries up I think it loses it's potency.

------------------
OOkie
2000pearlWHITEbase

Cripes! Another white 5th gen.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I remember the ONE time I used the clay bar it took like over an hour and a half for the entire car. Afterwards, it looked just as good as any other good wax job I've done (maybe my eye's aren't that sensitive...*shrug*).

Although I will say that the paint felt ABSOLUTELY smooth to the touch. I'm talking super-silky-smooth-just-wanna-touch-the-car-to-feel-its-smoothness smooth!

But that's about it...nothing else spectacular about a little clay bar.

------------------

'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor
Trying to sell my 17" SSR's

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 935DragLude:
The Mothers clay bar seems to stick to the car's paint more compared to the Meguiars...I like the Meguiars a lot more

</font>

How are you using the clay bar? you should spray 'quick detailer' or an equivalent on the area, then ***lightly*** rub the bar where you sprayed.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iranman:
I remember the ONE time I used the clay bar it took like over an hour and a half for the entire car. Afterwards, it looked just as good as any other good wax job I've done (maybe my eye's aren't that sensitive...*shrug*).

Although I will say that the paint felt ABSOLUTELY smooth to the touch. I'm talking super-silky-smooth-just-wanna-touch-the-car-to-feel-its-smoothness smooth!

</font>
Probably would not notice the results as much on a white car. My other car is white and I really did notice a difference. There were little rust specs from the winter, like shavings of steel stuck on the car and it totally removed them. The silky smoothness of the paint...aghhhhh.

------------------
1999 Honda Prelude Base 5-Speed. Crystal Blue Metallic.

"Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

·
Registered
129 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iranman:

</font>

You have to realize the clay bar is not designed to take the place of polishing and waxing. What it does is clean off contaminants from the surface of the car's finish. That's why the surface is sooooo smooth. That's the clay bar doing its job. At least once a year you'll still need to give it a good polish and wax coating. I believe the clay bar doesn't strip wax (as opposed to most paint cleaners which do), this will allow you to clean the surface of your car many times between waxing; keeping the coefficient of drag down to a minimum!

------------------
OOkie
2000pearlWHITEbase

Cripes! Another white 5th gen.

[This message has been edited by OOkie (edited April 27, 2001).]

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I have never used caly bar b4
Explain please!

------------------
"drive fast, be yorself, and party till she's cute!

Originally posted by some canadian guy:
Like I said, Road trip - baseball bat

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by some canadian guy:
I have never used caly bar b4
Explain please!

</font>
umm.. its pretty easy. everything is ALL on the box. some people here jsut make it sound complicated. so go buy a box, its cheap and it tells u directions perfectly. plus u can use it for many years to come. i think EVERY CAR LOVER SHOULD OWN A CLAY KIT.

anyways, after u wash ur car, slide a clean hand across the body. if u feel theres debris and rough build up in the paint that even the wash cant get out, then its time to clay. after u clay, u should easily toss a paper towel across the body or hood and it should effortlessly slide to the other end.

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
POWER OF THE SS BABY!
SS= Super Snail!!
There i go...
screen name: CBFORMULA

·
Registered
298 Posts
try the griots garage clay bar. i think that it works better than both the mother's and mequiars bars. really quick to use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts