Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To you guys with 2001 US Preludes do they still have those butt ugly airbag warnings on the sun visors? You know the ones on the side you see when they're up? I just want to make sure before I go ahead and do something. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,628 Posts
I understand that they are required and that is why you cannot peel them off like the ones on the dash.

------------------
Prelude forever-It's so nice going fast on the open road
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jc836:
I understand that they are required and that is why you cannot peel them off like the ones on the dash.

</font>
Yeah, well I got away around that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,628 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
Yeah, well I got away around that
</font>
Tell me please so my trim shop can do it




------------------
Prelude forever-It's so nice going fast on the open road
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jc836:
Tell me please so my trim shop can do it


</font>
I'll give you a hint...they don't have those labels in Canada
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
I'll give you another hint. Paint stripper.

But be EXTREMELY CAREFUL. Apply very sparingly and do not give it a chance to "chemically alter" the vinyl. It will if left on too long.

------------------
My new mechanic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pete:
I'll give you another hint. Paint stripper.

But be EXTREMELY CAREFUL. Apply very sparingly and do not give it a chance to "chemically alter" the vinyl. It will if left on too long.

</font>

Really? It seems like it would leave a mark from where the decal/silk screen was. Have you done this and what kind of paint stripper did you use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:

Really? It seems like it would leave a mark from where the decal/silk screen was. Have you done this and what kind of paint stripper did you use?
</font>
I used some stuff that comes in a big can. You can get it at Wal Mart, Home Depot, etc. It's the kind of stuff you would use to strip paint off of metal, old varnish off of wood, or even several coats of paint off of old woodwork in an old house.

The way I would suggest doing it:

1) Remove the visors and do this FAR AWAY from your car or anything else you don't want to get the stripper on.

2) Use rubber gloves and eye protection.

3) Mask off the vinyl that doesn't have the decal on it. Use 3-4 layers of tape. The stripper is powerful stuff and will burn your skin.

4) (a plastic spray bottle came with the can) Lightly spray the stripper onto the decal, and watch it go to work. The decal will start to blister. Use a scraper to gently lift it off, while wiping the excess stripper away.

5) Then use some Armour All, or some kind of vinyl protectant that will replenish some of the lost oils. It should look as good as new when you're done. Mine did.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top