Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
another SS->5spd!
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My UR SS pulleys came in on tuesday and I have them installed yesterday. It took two of us to loosen to crank pulley bolt, I noticed the bolt had a little rust in there so that's why is was so hard to turn. Anyways, here are my impressions of the UR pulleys so far:

- torque has improved through out the entire rpm especially in the low end, you can feel the difference as low as 2k rpm
- the engine tends to rev quicker
- the rev does not drop as fast even when letting the gas
- when downshifing, the rev seems to spin to a higher rpm then with the stock pulley
- some kind of spinning noise from the engine can be heard inside the cabin

This mod is great for those who complains the lack of power at the low end, it makes quite a difference. At least more than what I initally expected.

Thanks Andy for the information on the belts, they fit perfectly!

97 SS
Iceman, DC header, RSR exhaust, test pipe, VAFC, JEC V-force, UR Pulleys, JG TB, Sparkco wires.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
told ya, but i am taking mine off due to what i have seen with Billy's bearings, and oil pump. Dont get me wrong the pullies are a great mod and seriously make power.

------------------

99 Pearlwhite Sportshift
15.45 @ 92.37

·
another SS->5spd!
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll make a note on that and check the condition of the oil pump after a while of use. If something is up I'll take mine off.

Nice CF hood man...did you notice any performance regarding the amount of weight saving from the hood?
and also, what's up with your Crowers??

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
You know what concerns me is, billy said that the bearings were damaged (POSSIBLY from the pulley)...

however, he, nor anyone else so far, has opened up an engine to look at the bearings with approximately the same amount of miles on the engine, to see if that sort of wear could possibly NOT be from the pulley.

of course, since there's no evidence to say that the UR crank pulley does\doesn't FOR SURE do damage to the bearings, or other parts of the engine...I'll just shy away from them until 100% conclusive proof says that it's one way or the other.

------------------
My Homepage
My Car on HondaPrelude.com

·
another SS->5spd!
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another reason why I am willing to get the UR is because my other friend who drives a 97 SS has been using the UR crank pulley for 60K on his car, nothing went wrong so far.

For those who is looking into the URs, I recommend you to get the UR SS pulley set instead of just the crank pulley. My result was more noticeable than my friend's when he just had the crank pulley.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
when u guys say damage to the fuel pump and BEARINGS... what bearings r u exactly talking about? where r they located? im getting mine installed hopefully soon (sigh) but its just been so busy for me lately.

after i get them on i would like to know what to keep an eye on, in this case the bearings u guys r talking about that i dunno of. i pretty much know where the fuel pump is though. so can someone help me out?

heres a pic of mine. also the SS 3 piece in blue (i sold my cam gears already):

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
CURENT MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -Apexi V-AFC -autometer A/F gauge -autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit
HAVE AND INSTALLING SOON:
-UR pulleys set SS

screen name: CBFORMULA

[This message has been edited by Ng Luder (edited April 05, 2001).]

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ng Luder:
when u guys say damage to the fuel pump and BEARINGS... what bearings r u exactly talking about? </font>
If I recall correctly it was the main crank bearing closest to the crank pulley (I think it's the #1 bearing). And it's the oil pump that was damaged, not the fuel pump. Do a search for Billy's posts about his bearings and you'll find it.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LVSBB6:
Another reason why I am willing to get the UR is because my other friend who drives a 97 SS has been using the UR crank pulley for 60K on his car, nothing went wrong so far.

For those who is looking into the URs, I recommend you to get the UR SS pulley set instead of just the crank pulley. My result was more noticeable than my friend's when he just had the crank pulley.
</font>

damn hes had the pulley for 60k miles and no problem???? hhhmmm if this is true then i might just stick with what i have and not worry about the pullies. Has he had any problems with the oil pump at all? or the bearings? cuz ive had my pullies for like 10k miles, and i love them to death. hell my car is gonna be sitting for practically all next year, becasue i am going to school in philly, and my car is gonna stay at home in the garage.

About the crower's they still have not come in, i ordered them on friday of last week, i am going to call them tommarrow after noon to find out the status on them. so i'll let you know.

i dunno if the hood made a difference in the performance, but it sure does look cool. stock weighs like 45 lbs, the CF one is 15 lbs.

------------------

99 Pearlwhite Sportshift
15.45 @ 92.37

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gabe:
If I recall correctly it was the main crank bearing closest to the crank pulley (I think it's the #1 bearing). And it's the oil pump that was damaged, not the fuel pump. Do a search for Billy's posts about his bearings and you'll find it.

Gabe

</font>

oh oops, i meant the oil pump, npot the fuel pump. hmm ill try to do a search on the bearings stuff...

60k and no noticeable wear of anything? well he didnt say that exactly he just said "nothing went wrong so far". LVSBB6, ask your friend to look for any noticeable wear especially on bearings and the oil pump. THEN we can truely say that nothings wrong so far...

------------------

CURENT MODS:
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -Apexi V-AFC -autometer A/F gauge -autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit
-UR pulleys set SS

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rf7475:
Thanks for the review of the pullies. Just keep an eye on your bearings.</font>
Uh, to do that, he would have to take the crank out of the engine. There are no symptoms besides catastrophic failure.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ng Luder:
when u guys say damage to the fuel pump and BEARINGS... what bearings r u exactly talking about? where r they located? im getting mine installed hopefully soon (sigh) but its just been so busy for me lately.

after i get them on i would like to know what to keep an eye on, in this case the bearings u guys r talking about that i dunno of. i pretty much know where the fuel pump is though. so can someone help me out?
</font>
Crank bearings. Most damage to #1, least to #5.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
another SS->5spd!
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
His car has not been taken apart for checking the bearings or the oil pump, so there is no information on that.
But one thing for sure is the car is running fine without indications of any problems.

I've called Crowers about their cams and they kept saying that the cams will be available in 7 days since last week. Give them a call and see what they say.

You hood looks great, very well finished. How's is the fitment on those?
I'm still deciding on the Fiberimage hood or the Kaminari ones.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DYI01:

damn hes had the pulley for 60k miles and no problem???? hhhmmm if this is true then i might just stick with what i have and not worry about the pullies. Has he had any problems with the oil pump at all? or the bearings? cuz ive had my pullies for like 10k miles, and i love them to death. hell my car is gonna be sitting for practically all next year, becasue i am going to school in philly, and my car is gonna stay at home in the garage.

About the crower's they still have not come in, i ordered them on friday of last week, i am going to call them tommarrow after noon to find out the status on them. so i'll let you know.

i dunno if the hood made a difference in the performance, but it sure does look cool. stock weighs like 45 lbs, the CF one is 15 lbs.

</font>

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DYI01:

</font>
Yep, that's what I said until I saw my bearings and had to buy a new oil pump. There are no symptoms, so everything will seem fine. Perhaps the car will make it to 100k, I can't say for sure. All I know is what happened to my car, and that has made me decide that I will not be using a solid crank pulley on my new engine.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
Uh, to do that, he would have to take the crank out of the engine. There are no symptoms besides catastrophic failure.

</font>
damn, that sucks then...

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LVSBB6:
His car has not been taken apart for checking the bearings or the oil pump, so there is no information on that.
But one thing for sure is the car is running fine without indications of any problems.

I've called Crowers about their cams and they kept saying that the cams will be available in 7 days since last week. Give them a call and see what they say.

You hood looks great, very well finished. How's is the fitment on those?
I'm still deciding on the Fiberimage hood or the Kaminari ones.

</font>
the fitment is pretty good compared to a lot of the other brands that i have seen. I get a lot of compliments on it. I will take some pictures next week of the fitment.

------------------

99 Pearlwhite Sportshift
15.45 @ 92.37

·
Registered
191 Posts
I thought the only thing effected was the bearings !

If I were to get AEM's tru pulley would I still have to worry about the oil pump ???

Or is this somthing more to do with UR pulleys since this set comes with the crank pulley!

------------------
2000 Silver Lude
Toronto Prelude Club

·
Texas
734 Posts
so the crank pulley causes the damage? what about the other pulleys? no noticable damage from those?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
i dont think the other accessory pullies do any harm to anything. just like the AEMs...

------------------

CURENT MODS:
-UR pulleys set SS

1 - 20 of 28 Posts