Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I e-mailed Unorthodox suggesting they update the FAQ section of the website with regards and in response to, the 'controvery' over the H22A install.

I went on to explain that they are possibly loosing sales of the UR pulleys as broadly speaking the online honda community although happy with the install and power/torque gains, are unsure/negative as to the long term effects.

I didn't expect a response but they emailed me back yesterday thanking me for the suggestions and that they would 'for sure' update the FAQ section in the very near future with a response and answers to H22A concerns.

So keep an eye on the website, it should make interesting reading...

G

·
I sure hope you don't expect them to come out and say "yeah, our pulleys cause excessive bearing and oil pump wear..." I know you're not that naive. Unorthodox will probably (maybe, maybe not!) continue to claim that their crank pulleys have no detrimental side effects.

All I have to say is what happened to my engine. If you don't believe me, I will be glad to send anyone pictures of the crank bearings, and I will have the oil pump in my hands shortly. Now, it is true that some oil pumps on the B series engines have failed with the stock crank pulley installed. Probably due to high RPM stress. However, I have yet to hear of an H series oil pump fail. All I know is that on my oil pump, the grooves in the pump were so severe that Larry was unable to modify the pump, and a new one had to be ordered. I have not seen a stock oil pump off an H22 with a stock crank pulley. However, the engine only had 45k miles (a little less, but 45k is close enough), and the wear that was seen on the bearings and oil pump are surely not the cause of routine "wear and tear." This car was used for racing, but only one track event where high rpms were sustained for extended periods of time, and it was a driving school, so the car wasn't running at 10 tenths for the entire 20 minute session. Other than that, the car was autocrossed, and the longest tracks were about 1.5 minutes long. I would say that in the 45k miles that this engine was together, it lived at 6k+ RPMs perhaps 2% of the time.

I am lucky in the fact that this stuff was caught before any serious damage occured. The crank is so hard that it was barely damaged.

Another interesting fact is that the #5 bearing (closest to the tranny) looked almost perfect. As you get closer to the #1 bearing, they look progressively worse, and #1 looks the worst by far. This also suggests that the vibrations were worse on the crank pulley end of the engine (incidentally, the oil pump resides right behind the crank pulley).

The only modifications on the car at the time were; GReddy PE, AEM intake, and various suspension modifications. Type S cams were added later, but they didn't do anything to cause this damage (besides, they were on for less than 1k miles).

It really doesn't matter. I can talk until I am blue in the face, and 99% of you either will not (or don't want to) believe me. All I say to that is, install the pulley, and be happy about the power gains. If it fails, you learn your lesson, if not, so much the better.

Also, even with 25k to 30k miles on the underdrive pulley, there were no symptoms. No funny noises, no play in the crank (I checked), and no oil leaks.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
I find it humorous that some of you still plan on getting this and that those of you who have this have not removed it already.

[This message has been edited by Joon525 (edited April 11, 2001).]

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just think it will be interesting to hear what Unorthodox have to say thats all.

71dsp why don't you send your findings to Unorthodox and see what they think?

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
I believe Billy, and found the Dinan article to back him up. Billy's experience backs up the theory in the Dinan article... I'm not 100% sure that the crank pulley is bad, but I'm more than sure enough to not use one and recommend against it.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SensaiGen5:
Billy i believe you!! WEas this the cause of your massive engine overhaul??</font>
Haha! No, there was a much, much deeper reason for his overhaul...

I've seen his bearings in person. Anyone who gets and continues to use any crank pulley is a moron. I thought Larry (Endyn) was being overly cautious about not using them.

If you don't replace your bearings every 20k miles or rebuild, you're STUPID to use a crank pulley.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
At the same time I got my AEM pulleys I had the chance to get the UR crank pulley but decided that the accesory pulleys would be safer. If I had the the UR crank pulley I'd take it off for sure...who wants to risk a rebuild for 3-5 hp? If your going to chance wasting your motor why not just blow another $300 and buy NOS?

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
Haha! No, there was a much, much deeper reason for his overhaul... </font>
Yes, the cam problem, eaten up valve rockers, and a few nicks on the deck of the block. I wasn't going to have the block worked on, but after finding some good sized gouges next to the water jacket, Larry recommended I have the block decked. Of course, to do this, everything has to be taken off the block, so I thought, what the hell. Lots of stuff going on, but I won't say anymore until I have some dyno numbers......

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
997 Posts
In tha case, whats the cons of getting the assessory pulleys. Also how much HP can u get from them?

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber
FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims. Used for 2k miles. 600+shipping.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Add me to the list. I saw the Dinan article about four months ago. I also read Larry's opinions. That was enough to scare me away from messing with the crank pulley, and then I read Billy's installation/review over at NTPOG and it looked like more work than I wanted to take on, anyway.

I got AEM. Noticed enough of a difference to justify the $129. I'm happy.

One problem I have noticed: If I'm talking on my cell phone (permanent-mount) and have to brake hard, the phone goes dead. Kinda strange, but I'm hoping a capacitor will help. Anybody with any ideas?

------------------
My Mechanic

·
Registered
554 Posts
Billy, did you have a hand in writing the original NTPOG review on the pully?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Read our FAQ section and then you will know why the accessory only pulleys from brand A don't give much power but cause voltage and other accessory problems.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have yet to have any eletrical problems from my accessory pulleys, and I am happy with the power gains for the 120$ also.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Smilez:
Billy, did you have a hand in writing the original NTPOG review on the pully?</font>
He wrote the original article. Read it again to see the comments I've added to it (I don't think Billy's seen it since I redid the site).

UR is blowing smoke up our asses. They haven't had complaints? Probably b/c no one in their right mind, after seeing what the product does, would use it again. Why call? They're just going to give you the same line of **** they're giving us now.

The simple fact is that there is a market and a demand. Until that market and demand dissappear, they will continue to supply the product that sells. Regardless of damage, the product does yield power and torque. It's a great investment if you race and will be rebuilding your engine frequently anyhow.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
for such little gains, really can't justify the cost and future headaches.

if dinan's article and billy's experiences aren't enough to justify not buying, god help us all.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts