Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now don't flame me you psychopathic pyromaniacs!
I'm just letting you know that as promised Unorthodox have updated their site with regards to the H22A
Take a look:
http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq.html#oil

[This message has been edited by andrewdelvard (edited April 24, 2001).]

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
so what...? is he basically saying that it DOES caus some kind of wear to our H22s? so we should not rev up to redline anymore? and no more using nitrous with it either? sheesh... haha, screw it, ill sell my lude by the time it actually causes damages

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
PERFORMANCE MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -UR pulleys SS (3 piece)
-Apexi V-AFC -Autometer A/F gauge -Autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit *no more performance mods will be added*
NON-PERFORMANCE:
-Panasonic CQ-DF800U
screen name: CBFORMULA

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ng Luder:
so what...? is he basically saying that it DOES caus some kind of wear to our H22s?
</font>
Not he's not. He's saying that it's a problem inherent to the H22A. That oil pump failure cound occur with any H22A especially those hard driven and especially those with major mods such as supercharging turbo etc etc.

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
... yeah, that's real responsible. Next person who buys the car will have no clue why his crank bearings look like they've been introduced to a 100 grit sandbelt.

Yeah, you could say bad things about turbo, superchargers, nitrous, etc. But those are at least visible, and most owners take special care to make sure the engine doesn't blow on them. You're going to pawn off your Prelude on some unsuspecting kid, and he's going to wonder why he has to get himself an engine rebuild... =/

so what...? is he basically saying that it DOES caus some kind of wear to our H22s? so we should not rev up to redline anymore? and no more using nitrous with it either? sheesh... haha, screw it, ill sell my lude by the time it actually causes damages

</font>

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spite:
... yeah, that's real responsible. Next person who buys the car will have no clue why his crank bearings look like they've been introduced to a 100 grit sandbelt.

Yeah, you could say bad things about turbo, superchargers, nitrous, etc. But those are at least visible, and most owners take special care to make sure the engine doesn't blow on them. You're going to pawn off your Prelude on some unsuspecting kid, and he's going to wonder why he has to get himself an engine rebuild... =/
</font>

dude, u make it sound so horrible. first of all i dont plan to sell it privately. our family always trade in our old cars. and if we trade it in, they will need to have done test and certify it before they can sell it used to the public. so they will surely find the problem and fix it. if they dont, theres still a warranty on used cars. they dont check thoroughly when u trade it in, only afterwards...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Ok...so UOR is basically blaming the stock oil pump. Did they adress bearing failure at all?

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
Used for 2k miles. $600+shipping.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

G

·
dude, u make it sound so horrible. first of all i dont plan to sell it privately. our family always trade in our old cars. and if we trade it in, they will need to have done test and certify it before they can sell it used to the public. so they will surely find the problem and fix it. if they dont, theres still a warranty on used cars. they dont check thoroughly when u trade it in, only afterwards...</font>
The only symptomes are catastrophic engine failure. So, the new owners won't know until they spin a bearing. Would you like it if someone did that to you?

The only way to find the damage through an inspection is by tearing the engine apart. If you think a dealer is going to do that, you are more naive than I thought.

Some of you guys amaze me.....

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scriber:
Ok...so UOR is basically blaming the stock oil pump. Did they adress bearing failure at all?
</font>
UR is never going to admit that their products are bad for the engines. They will always find something to fault other than their parts. Shawn at UR never addressed any issues in my repeated e-mails. He just went on and on about how their products are the best on the market, they are balanced, made to such-and-such spec. He never addressed bearing wear, or any such thing. He actually got a bit irate when I told him that unless he gives me some data, or some names of race teams that actually use his parts, I didn't want to hear from him again (I also told him that I didn't believe anything coming from him). He never did help me get in contact with any race teams, or any consumers that have torn their engine down after installing their crank pulleys. So, all he wants to do is say his pulleys are the best, they have plenty of race teams that haven't had any problems, they have done extensive testing, they have many happy customers, etc., but he won't back any of it up.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
800 Posts
I want to know when everyone at UR became honda engineers. I mean is it just me or is

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The H22 was also never meant to be revved past 7500 RPM, which is something that seems to be occurring with some regularity and also dramatically effects gear life</font>
just utter BS in order to avoid them having to admit that there is a problem. I'm sure they're all smart guys but I doubt that any of them know jack squat about the H22.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
i guess the only conclusive proof that UR has to do for its potential customers is to do their own longterm investigation.

compare an un-modded H22 prelude vs a UR-modded prelude during a time period of say 30000km or whatever. basically do what 71dsp did, plus the extra effort of comparing with a stock lude.

that should pretty much do it for me.

question is, is it worth UR's R&D time for a small H22 population?

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
.......Would you like it if someone did that to you?</font>
That's the minefield that is the used car market....

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ooooh UK! You're so poetic! Are you an English teacher?!?

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
Wot?? Me a English teacher?
Nah mate

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When are you going to come to the shop in Soho? Tosser!

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by andrewdelvard:
When are you going to come to the shop in Soho? Tosser!</font>
Dunno. Prick!

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
When would you suggest? ****!

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Just read the FAQ and I agree that the oil pumps are failing from the number of failures regardless of whether a pulley is in use or not.

But I disagree with their comment saying that the H22A was never be meant to be revved past 7,500 rpms. That ,IMO, is rediculous. If you do reset your rev limiter I would suggest that your motor be built to handle the added stress, and that the builder B&B the motor. And if you run nitrous, f/i or have very high compression building up the bottom end can extend engine life.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts