Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 98 SH which has this slight (yet annoying) pull to the right. I have had the car completely aligned about 6 times now, and no one (including the dealer) seems to be able to fix it. I was wondering if it might have anything to do with the ATTS. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Cross rotate your tires and and see if the car pulls the other way....

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Did you hit anything that could have bent the suspension?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately I don't have the numbers. The dealer said it was within factory spec, but there are no guarantees I guess ... I will get a printout.

As for collisions ... I don't think so. I will check into the suspension though. Perhaps there is a bend.

I've tried cross-rotating the tires ... no change. Bummer.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
i can shed light on this one

i went in to just tires for an alignment cause my 01' base 5spd was pulling to the right... i'm goign to school for auto stuff and so i knew about camber, caster and toe and all the other things like steerin axis inclination.. sorry about the spelling.. trying to write fast..

but anywho.. i went in and they showed me that the right caster was pushed back while the left caster was forward.. the only ailignment angle that honda allows you to change is the rear toe angle.. which doesn't help the pull.. since the pull coming from the caster in the front...

there are a couple reasons for this.. you drove on the right side of the road and hit a sewer/pothole/curve.. something liek that..

i knwo i hit a couple bad things in the past but i never really noticed the pull till now...

the only way to fix this is to bring the car to a body shop and have them pull the suspention.. body shops know what to do.. just bring your specs in with you

i'm not trying to sound like a know it all or anyhting.. so if i'm wrong .. please don't flame me..

q and a

q: no alignment fixes my lude pulling to the right

a: go to body shop, get suspension pulled to specs

as for the people that are within the factory specs.. i don't know what to say.. you can fudge the numbers by tugging a lil here and there to make it seem like they in spec.. i do that at school sometimes.. just playing around

=)

hope this at least helps one person

peaces

john

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
The base allows for caster adjustments, the SH you have to change the radius rods. I have a pull to the right after a small incident and my caster isn't fully lined up. I didn't want to have the shop heat up and bend the radius rods however.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
come to think of it... the dude doing my alignment was saying something bout the caster not lining up right, something like it was the farthest it could go. ive hit potholes and curbs couple of times aredy. mabe thats why. anyone know how much it would cost to do it the body shop way?

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
i can contribute my pull to the right thanks to sears.....immedialtely after they did an alignment after i got new tires and i specifically told them no alignment the car pulled to the right and still does...i still have to go for another alignment and get it straightened out

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I'm suprised no one has mentioned this. On the SH after doing an alignment you have to recalibrate the steering angle sensor. What it does is it programs the ATTS unit to make the car keep going in a straight line. The helms manual lists steps to perform this calibration; its pretty straight forward and you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
You do this procedure after you get an alignment done. How do you do it, well its in the helms manual, you gotta have one. I can type up the steps when I get home...

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
what if you just pull the fuse for the ATTS??? will that fix my problem??? it pulled imediately after i got an alignment so i know its an alignment issue...if i pull the fuse for the ATTS will it make it go straight again or what?

·
2 Slow 2 Show
211 Posts
tenzola said:
i can shed light on this one

i went in to just tires for an alignment cause my 01' base 5spd was pulling to the right... i'm goign to school for auto stuff and so i knew about camber, caster and toe and all the other things like steerin axis inclination.. sorry about the spelling.. trying to write fast..

but anywho.. i went in and they showed me that the right caster was pushed back while the left caster was forward.. the only ailignment angle that honda allows you to change is the rear toe angle.. which doesn't help the pull.. since the pull coming from the caster in the front...

there are a couple reasons for this.. you drove on the right side of the road and hit a sewer/pothole/curve.. something liek that..

i knwo i hit a couple bad things in the past but i never really noticed the pull till now...

the only way to fix this is to bring the car to a body shop and have them pull the suspention.. body shops know what to do.. just bring your specs in with you

i'm not trying to sound like a know it all or anyhting.. so if i'm wrong .. please don't flame me..

q and a

q: no alignment fixes my lude pulling to the right

a: go to body shop, get suspension pulled to specs

as for the people that are within the factory specs.. i don't know what to say.. you can fudge the numbers by tugging a lil here and there to make it seem like they in spec.. i do that at school sometimes.. just playing around

=)

hope this at least helps one person

peaces

john
will the dealers be able to do the suspension pulling and bring it back to specs?

·
I kerned the Serif
742 Posts
99_SH said:
I'm suprised no one has mentioned this. On the SH after doing an alignment you have to recalibrate the steering angle sensor. What it does is it programs the ATTS unit to make the car keep going in a straight line. The helms manual lists steps to perform this calibration; its pretty straight forward and you can do it yourself.
I don't have a Helms Manual yet; can you explain this procedure. After changing wheels/tires, I've been getting slight steers to the right also. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts